Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 PM

35 posts, read 91,871 times

Advertisements

Hi tommyc_37, I hope you enjoy your time in Buffalo. I like the wings at Century Grill, their located at 320 Pearl Street right across the street from the Hyatt. Let us know how your trip goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 03:59 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
As a lover of old buildings and architecture, I would LOVE to spend Saturday afternoon walking around a few neighborhoods where I might find this sort of thing. Are there any residential neighborhoods within walking distance of Downtown that have a historic rowhouse/brownstone feel to it?
There aren't many rowhouses in Buffalo. Population density never got as high as in other cities, I guess.

The neighborhoods are still beautiful, of course. Early twentieth century architecture, mostly. A lot of large, clapboard, freestanding homes with fanciful details. Walking out of downtown, your best bet would be to go north and then west. Allentown is a large historic district with very attractive housing stock. Stick around Cottage, College, Mariner, Plymouth, Days Pk, Park St, North St. The real mansions are closer to Delaware on Franklin, Linwood, etc.

If you want to go further away, walk north on Richmond, Ashland or Norwood. Elmwood Ave is a commercial area, so if you're just looking for a nice walk stay on one of the parallel streets to the west. You can go further west than that, but the neighborhoods in that direction are in worse repair. If you get too far up Elmwood to walk back, get on the southbound Elmwood bus. It will take you all the way downtown to Church St, serving Pearl and Franklin st along the way. Bus fare is $1.75. Or you can get a day pass for $4.00.

I think you'll be surprised at what Buffalo has in terms of architecture. Most people are, anyway.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:00 PM

414 posts, read 1,505,185 times
Quote:
OK a Beef on Weck has been added to the official agenda. What's a good place to grab one? How's Ulrich's Tavern?

The main point of this trip is to sample the local foods, so I'm not sure we'll get to the Falls...
Ulrich's tavern is a Buffalo favorite for corned beef and cabbage I don't know about the beef on weck, you can certainly get a good one at the Pearl Street Brewery.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 PM

259 posts, read 888,480 times
Don't forget the Horseradish on that Weck. If your staying downtown go to The Pearl street Brewery.
If its time your worried about the Falls are only a 30 min. drive from downtown.
I believe the Wilcox House, Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site, is closed for renovations till spring. The best Architectural gem in the city is the Frank Lloyd Wright Darwin Martin house. The Frank Lloyd Wright Darwin D. Martin House Complex - Frank Lloyd Wright / Darwin Martin Or take the tour of city hall, great view of the city.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:54 AM

6 posts, read 13,064 times
Buffalo Must Haves:
Mighty Taco
Loganberry (its a beverage)
Ted's Hot Dogs
Andersons for Ice Cream.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:53 AM

26 posts, read 66,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barblsn View Post
Buffalo Must Haves:
Mighty Taco
Loganberry (its a beverage)
Ted's Hot Dogs
Andersons for Ice Cream.

Mighty Taco has new owners, changed a bunch of their recipes, and no longer has Loganberry....I'm not very happy.

This website has a lot of info/history on Buffalo's architecture! My husband moved here from Hoboken almost 5 years ago. He thinks this is a great town for a guys' weekend. Have tons of fun!!

Last edited by MASC; 01-16-2009 at 10:02 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,979 times
Mighty Taco has gotten very skimpy on their products, without reducing the price, they should change the name to "Mini Taco" because there's nothing "mighty" about the size of their fast food tacos. If wanting chain/restaurant food worth the price, go to TGIFriday's.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:04 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,239 times
What is Loganberry???

Also, any particular area to stay AWAY from, in terms of crime??

Old 01-16-2009, 11:52 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,979 times
Quote:
What is Loganberry???

Also, any particular area to stay AWAY from, in terms of crime??
Loganberry is a very sweet drink. It's a classic up here.

As per areas, let's just say if you stick to North Buffalo (Elmwood, Hertel, Allen Streets) you guys should be fine. Or if you're downtown when events are at the Arena, Shea's you'll see lots of people.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Loganberry is a very sweet drink. It's a classic up here.

As per areas, let's just say if you stick to North Buffalo (Elmwood, Hertel, Allen Streets) you guys should be fine. Or if you're downtown when events are at the Arena, Shea's you'll see lots of people.
Is Downtown sketchy at night? Many of us live in city environments, so we're used to city living...but just want to be aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area