Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 03:55 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Saskatchewan is very Conservative. It's rural, and pretty much like the US, rural areas are more Conservative. Manaitoba is more Liberal largely due to the large population of natives, as well as Manitoba which is one of the most Liberal cities. Manitoba is overall Conservative though. As for Ontario, take away Southern Ontario, and you have a very Conservative province... pretty much. Windsor is also a Liberal area, Ottawa proper is too, but Ottawa actually sprawling suburbs which are Conservative. The Maritimes are mostly Liberal...

In Canada there isn't really an issue which voting along race lines, which is very nice. The one thing I can't stand is people who let their race decide how they will vote. (Or let the race of the candidate) I wish White and Blacks would just start acting smart and not viewing a candidate's race as a reason to vote or not vote for them.
I think your last part is due to different histories in terms of race. Not that Canada is perfect, but demographics and history have a lot to do with that. Here's an interesting article I got from a guy from the Canadian forum here: The Black Mayors of Québec’s Logging Country « AngryFrenchGuy

Anyway, I think Buffalo, due to it's location has more than just a Midwestern influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 01:40 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think your last part is due to different histories in terms of race. Not that Canada is perfect, but demographics and history have a lot to do with that. Here's an interesting article I got from a guy from the Canadian forum here: The Black Mayors of Québec’s Logging Country « AngryFrenchGuy

Anyway, I think Buffalo, due to it's location has more than just a Midwestern influence.
Wow. I knew Canada had a few black politicians and a few Haitians in politics. I didn't know the first black mayor in Canada was Haitian and spoke French. You seem to come up with interesting stuff. Education is part of the solution.

I think Buffalo has the unique upstate influence. Upstate NY in general has a certain mystique. It isn't part of the Midwest. It isn't part of New England. It isn't in Canada, but it is close to Canada, New England and the Midwest. It is like all of that converged.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:27 PM

70 posts, read 178,995 times
I believe it is more of a Canadian influence on Buffalo.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:10 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schayban88 View Post
I believe it is more of a Canadian influence on Buffalo.
Than what?

Old 10-08-2009, 05:30 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
Buffalo and Cleveland are very similar and neither are much like Canada. I live in Cleveland, worked in Buffalo for 11 years, and also went to Canada quite often. Canada has way more of a European look and feel to it. Buffalo isn't reminiscent of Europe in the least other than it's obvious ethnic influences. It's virtually the same in Cleveland except that we have a lot more of it.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:34 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Buffalo and Cleveland are very similar and neither are much like Canada. I live in Cleveland, worked in Buffalo for 11 years, and also went to Canada quite often. Canada has way more of a European look and feel to it. Buffalo isn't reminiscent of Europe in the least other than it's obvious ethnic influences. It's virtually the same in Cleveland except that we have a lot more of it.
Some of the architecture in Buffalo could be reminiscent of parts of Europe.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:14 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Some of the architecture in Buffalo could be reminiscent of parts of Europe.
So could some in Hong Kong, Lebanon, Viet Nam, Egypt, Israel, Turkey, Cuba, you get the drift.

If you've ever been to Paris, Amsterdam, or Malmo you would find that Buffalo has basically nothing in common with these cities. Buffalo is certainly not European. I was just talking about this today with a geography head at UB, really the only US city that might compare is NYC, but even NYC sprawls too much for a European city.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:59 AM

628 posts, read 663,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl200 View Post
This "Northern" or Great Lakes accent spans from Syracuse to Western New York to northern parts of Ohio, Detroit, and Chicago. I consider it one type of midwest accent. Of course, there are several accents associated with the Midwest besides the Northern accent (midland accent, Minnesota accent, Hoosier twang, etc.).

I disagree with the following:

Syracuse does not have a "great lakes accent." yes, I too have read wikipedia, and in case you were unaware, that site is not gospel and is in fact wrong about much of New York. For example, read the "upstate new york entry" all it talks about is western ny and give little to no accurate information on syracuse or albany. Trust me, wny (buff, roch) and upstate (cuse/alb) are two very different places.

The accent in syracuse is not an easily defined one. this is what drives most people nuts as everyone always wants things in a box; sorry but upstate is just too diverse for that (another reason syracuse is not midwest).

Syracuse has an east coast accent. it is parts new england, parts nyc, parts nj, and parts canadian. It is possible that two people can spend their entire lives in syracuse and have different accents. Bottom line, people from syracuse do not sound like people from ohio.

Also, as for the "east coast" feel of rochester versus long island...well, Moderator cut: personal attack. the only place you get a gritty east coast feel is in the boroughs of nyc, or a large city like philly. As for mid size and small cities the "vibe" is the same in rochester as it is in providence. furthermore, I defy you to find any difference between syracuse and trenton.

I will however, agree with you that rochester has a different vibe than long island or even syracuse; but all are within the greater east coast cultural center, with smaller differences between each. but lets face it, you are attempting to play the role of the cool "fast paced" downstater. Truth = long island is just one big subarb with no building taller than 3 stories, so I am not sure what inner-city, urban, fast-paced east coast grit you think you have down there...but trust, me, the City of syracuse is faster paced than the sprawling suburbs of long island.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-05-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
I disagree with the following:

Syracuse does not have a "great lakes accent." yes, I too have read wikipedia, and in case you were unaware, that site is not gospel and is in fact wrong about much of New York. For example, read the "upstate new york entry" all it talks about is western ny and give little to no accurate information on syracuse or albany. Trust me, wny (buff, roch) and upstate (cuse/alb) are two very different places.

The accent in syracuse is not an easily defined one. this is what drives most people nuts as everyone always wants things in a box; sorry but upstate is just too diverse for that (another reason syracuse is not midwest).

Syracuse has an east coast accent. it is parts new england, parts nyc, parts nj, and parts canadian. It is possible that two people can spend their entire lives in syracuse and have different accents. Bottom line, people from syracuse do not sound like people from ohio.

Also, as for the "east coast" feel of rochester versus long island...well, Moderator cut: personal attack. the only place you get a gritty east coast feel is in the boroughs of nyc, or a large city like philly. As for mid size and small cities the "vibe" is the same in rochester as it is in providence. furthermore, I defy you to find any difference between syracuse and trenton.

I will however, agree with you that rochester has a different vibe than long island or even syracuse; but all are within the greater east coast cultural center, with smaller differences between each. but lets face it, you are attempting to play the role of the cool "fast paced" downstater. Truth = long island is just one big subarb with no building taller than 3 stories, so I am not sure what inner-city, urban, fast-paced east coast grit you think you have down there...but trust, me, the City of syracuse is faster paced than the sprawling suburbs of long island.
Syracuse has a little bit more of an east coast influence than Buffalo or Rochester (soda instead of pop) but I'm sorry people in Syracuse definitely have the Great Lakes accent, so do people in Utica. It is definitely more mixed in Albany (somewhat more of a downstate and New England influence). I deal with people frequently on the phone from the Utica and Syracuse areas and they sound only slightly different than people in Buffalo and Rochester (Both of which I've lived in)

As I'm watching (while I'm typing) the gridlocked traffic here in front of my office in Garden City, Long Island I find it laughable to that you consider Syracuse to be faster paced than Long Island! Not even a close comparison! Maybe way out on the East end but certainly not in Nassau and Western Suffolk Counties.

Upstate New York (from the Mohawk valley westward) is a mix of 4 parts Midwestern, 1 part Canadian, 1 part New England, 1 part Downstate New York and 1 part Appalachia.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
I still fail to see how any part of upstate is midwestern aside from MINOR traits. After traveling the great lakes and parts of the midwest for work, we are nothing like them culturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area