Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:03 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Get a little away from the Lancaster Dutch Country & the rest of the state (other than Pittsburgh & its immediate suburbs) has very little Midwestern to it ...... every bit as Appalachian as Western Maryland, Western Virginia, West Virginia & Eastern Kentucky. Pennsyltucky is a very fitting name for the area between Philly & Pittsburgh.
I agree the Mountainous parts of the state are Appalachian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 AM

102 posts, read 234,906 times
I agree that Buffalo's feel and cultural vibe leans more Midwestern than Northeastern.

There was the list the OP posted about Buffalo's Midwestern traits. How about it's Northeastern traits, though?

* As what was said before, lots of Italians. (A much higher percentage than in the Cleveland area.)
* Unique local style of pizza.
* Houses with a lot of decorative ironwork, much like Queens, Staten Island and New Jersey.
* Labor: more heavily unionized in sectors outside of manufacturing.
* Lacrosse is very popular.
* Public and private colleges attract students from Downstate/Long Island, Massachusetts, and New Jersey, not Ohio, Indiana, or Michigan.
* Spanish-speaking population is dominantly Puerto Rican, not Mexican.
* Religion: very, very, very Catholic. Very few Lutherans outside of Niagara County.
* Exclusive public and private high schools feed graduates into Eastern Ivies and Seven Sisters schools, not University of Michigan, University of Chicago, Northwestern, etc.
* No Appalachian community.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:25 AM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
How about we all agree that the Great Lakes are a distinctive region with cities that have things in common that makes them different from heartland cities and east coast cities?

Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
People will still be removed from the original person from the "old country" but traditions still remain. My family that is actually from Italy is almost all dead, but the traditions still remain. The food still remains. Even lots of slang still remains. That plays much more of a role on culture than other things I've seen.
The pop/soda thing is not accurate at all as "pop" is term that spreads from the northeast to the northwest. A person in Rochester doesn't have much in common with a person in Akron which doesn't have much in common with a person in the northwest.
My cousins from Iowa always called it "pop," whereas in St. Louis it was always soda.

Not sure what that adds to the discussion but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
How about we all agree that the Great Lakes are a distinctive region with cities that have things in common that makes them different from heartland cities and east coast cities?
That may be true, but I believe someone hit on it with the ancestry of the groups that predominated around the turn of the century in 1900 or so.

St. Louis is obviously not a Great Lakes city nor an eastern one, but I would submit it has a lot in common with cities like Milwaukee, Chicago and Detroit (and perhaps Buffalo, Pittsburg and others) due to the fact that it is heavily catholic and was comprised largely of similar ethnic groups (German, Italian, Irish).

Old 02-26-2012, 11:28 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
My husband has 3 4th cousins w3ho live in Conneaut on one side and a bunch in Cuhouga county ( sp? ). All came from Buffalo or Cattaraugus Co. Very similar people
In my Cleveland-area grade school, the teacher made it easy: just say: "buy a hog-a" and just change the b with a c, and you've got it: Cuyahoga ...

Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 PM

5 posts, read 5,776 times
Buffalo is a smaller version of Milwaukee or Cleveland. So I guess you could say it's Midwestern.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:29 PM

82 posts, read 142,996 times
Buffalo is Cleveland's little brother !

Old 03-04-2012, 12:37 PM

744 posts, read 1,768,225 times
And Cleveland is Cincinatti's little brother which would make Buffalo and Cincinatti brothers yet Cincy seems much more midwestern than Buffalo

Old 03-04-2012, 08:33 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
And Cleveland is Cincinatti's little brother which would make Buffalo and Cincinatti brothers yet Cincy seems much more midwestern than Buffalo
Now that I'm out west, I will keep my prior Buffalo blasts out of it. Cincy and Cleveland are quite different politically.

Cincy is essentially Kentucky culturally. Right from the accents down to it being far more of a Red Area than Cleveland which like Great Lakes rust belt towns is a Blue area.

Also, Cincy's population is not much more than Buffalo's. Cleveland has atleast 150000 more people city proper than Cincinnati. Have you been at the Cincy airport in KY across the river ? Furthest thing from Cleveland. Cincy identifies with Lexington and Louisville,KY way more than Cleveland and even Columbus. The whole SW quadrant of Ohio is pretty redneckish. Springfield and Dayton too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area