Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,213,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesuicide View Post
after reading other posts by Gold I'm sorry I was being helpful. He/she clearly is looking for facts about Buffalo while simultaneously making negatve sweeping generalizations
Yes, I've noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,856,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldinbuffalo View Post
Please post opinions of Kasiertown. Areas with problems are what I am most concerned about. I could care less about the schools as all Buffalo Public Schools are a mess. I'll be sending my children elsewhere. Is $25 a square foot about right?
Thanks.
Quote:
Sorry. I meant I don't care about the schools as I'll be sending my children elsewhere so they don't have to deal with all the gang violence.

Again, opinions of Kaisertown? Is $25 a sq foot about right? Areas to avoid? Will a realtor PM me? This is a realtor web site, is it not? I can't imagine all the realtors are too busy in this makret. Thanks

Quote:
My realtor told me there are no longer any good neighborhoods in Buffalo, only good streets. It's true. Look at West Ferry St and drive a 1/4-1/2 mile until it turns into East Ferry Street. You'll understand what I'm talking about. Home shopping in Buffalo can be a challenge. The South Buffalo area is populated by old Irish and getting smaller by the year from the encroaching city blight. They tend to, shall we say, be somewhat "guarded" around African Americans.

The suburbs listed like Amherst, Hamburg and Orchard Park are sky high tax areas with annual assessments that will make your eyes water. School taxes are often higher than property taxes and combined taxes can be more than your mortgage payment. Don't give up on the city, just shop around and don't listen to the real estate sales people who say this area is great for property values. It's NOT! The area is in decline, the entire county and state have negative population growth. Good luck.

You stated you have a realtor, they should be answering all your questions, since you stated "my realtor", I assume that you trust their judgement. If you don't like the city, why are you even considering it ?

By the way, you aren't just buying a house, you are buying a neighborhood when you purchase property.

This is not a realtor website, although some realtors do post here.

This area btw, is good for property values, ok, you probably aren't going to buy a home for 100k today and turn around and sell it for 200k in five years. But if you buy in a solid neighborhood, I bet in five years you can turn around and sell it for more than you paid, if of course you also keep it up.

I really do wish you luck in finding a home that works for you.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:28 PM

53 posts, read 157,859 times
Thanks for the help. I just get frustrated with the poltics of this area but must stay here fro personal reasons. It makes me sick what has happened to this city. I love Buffalo but wow is it going down the toilet. Thanks again for the help. I think I'll be looking in the South Buffalo area instead near Potter Road.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:19 AM

414 posts, read 1,505,287 times
The grass is always greener......

Old 03-14-2009, 06:20 AM

414 posts, read 1,505,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
Mike - don;t you think that zillow is not truely accurate though? I find it way off most of the time, your thoughts?
it can be. It does give you averages based on the recent sales of homes in the area.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:13 AM

137 posts, read 316,171 times
Gang violence? Ha! There are a lot of Buffalo Public Schools without "gang violence." No matter what school you send your children to there is going to be fights. Plus look at all the school shottings that got major coverage. Calumbine, VT those were not slum schools.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:09 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineFromBuffalo View Post
Gang violence? Ha! There are a lot of Buffalo Public Schools without "gang violence." No matter what school you send your children to there is going to be fights. Plus look at all the school shottings that got major coverage. Calumbine, VT those were not slum schools.
Having taught in Buffalo, I would say you get your normal kid fights in the elementary schools and it is worse if the administration in a school is not tough on the kid. Lots of elementary principals want teachers to be friends with the kids and try to be as well ( that isn't the job; education is!) Kids in HS do get into gangs. They do not always keep it out of school ( so do older elementary, for that matter). Again, without a staff who is aware of what is going on and who isn't tough on this, it isn't stopped. It still happens outside schools.

[FWIW, my own school district has a cop in the Middle School and one in the HS and I live way out in the far reaches of the burbs]

Old 03-15-2009, 06:30 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineFromBuffalo View Post
BuffaloTransplant is right. Effacing the violence that goes on in BPS by implying that it's just like anywhere else doesn't help anyone. School shootings like the one in Columbine is a separate issue. The fact that the day to day violence in our public schools does not get "major coverage" is what should be worrying you.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,010 times
Quote:
Sorry. I meant I don't care about the schools as I'll be sending my children elsewhere so they don't have to deal with all the gang violence.

Again, opinions of Kaisertown? Is $25 a sq foot about right? Areas to avoid? Will a realtor PM me? This is a realtor web site, is it not? I can't imagine all the realtors are too busy in this makret. Thanks
You say you dont want your kids to have to deal with the gang violence.BUt in case you havent notice theres gang violence, drugs, guns, etc. everywhere even in suburban schools and private school. Even if you home school your children, there's no telling what kinds of friends they'll make away from you you cant be with your kids 24-7 no matter how much youd like to be.
In an Internet survey of 2,017 seventh- through 12th-graders, the Allegany County university said 2.6 percent had thought about carrying out a shooting at school, said they had made a plan to carry out a shooting and had access to a gun. That means that in an average high school of 800 students, about 20 posed the greatest danger, the study said.
So before you go assuming that every Buffalo School has gang violence or whatever maybe you should look into it first do some research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area