Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 PM

414 posts, read 1,500,499 times

Advertisements

I guess dragonchaser took my post a little personal based on his silly status statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 AM

3,964 posts, read 5,714,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
I tried all kinds of searches on the Buffalo News website and came up with nothing. Goes to show you. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?

I wasn't trying to slam you, dude, anybody can make a mistake.
I was not accusing you of slamming me at all. I was simply unsure if you meant Boston, Massachusetts, or Boston, NY, that small town south of Hamburg and Orchard Park. Since the Buffalo News does report news as far away as Chautauqua, there was a remote possibility that something could have happened in Boston, NY that was mentioned in the paper. I would not mention it though as I am not familiar with that area and would only think it having an Elmwood Avenue as merely coincidental.

My apologies if you took offense.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:02 PM

504 posts, read 1,486,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I was not accusing you of slamming me at all. I was simply unsure if you meant Boston, Massachusetts, or Boston, NY, that small town south of Hamburg and Orchard Park. Since the Buffalo News does report news as far away as Chautauqua, there was a remote possibility that something could have happened in Boston, NY that was mentioned in the paper. I would not mention it though as I am not familiar with that area and would only think it having an Elmwood Avenue as merely coincidental.

My apologies if you took offense.
No, I didn't, no worries. I believe the news story I linked was about a bakery in Boston, MA called "Sweet Tooth," which is also the name of a bakery on the corner of Elmwood Ave and Allen St in Buffalo. Pretty good place (the Buffalo one, anyway). I know you're from Boston so I thought you could have mixed up the news stories. But I see my lack of utility with the Buffalo News search function is the real culprit here.

By the way, I don't think Boston, NY actually has ANY "Aves," let alone an "Elmwood." They might have a "St," or two, and definitely several "Rds," but I doubt they've got an "Ave."

Old 03-18-2009, 12:04 PM

504 posts, read 1,486,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesuicide View Post
I guess dragonchaser took my post a little personal based on his silly status statement.
that's funny because you're always making posts like "no, the east side is not hell on earth, regular people live there."

Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
that's funny because you're always making posts like "no, the east side is not hell on earth, regular people live there."
I'm clearly being misconstrued. I moved from the East Side due to the over all blight, lack of community and crime. I know it is rough. My major issue is when people who have no real experience living or working on the East side chime in with sweeping generalizations. You can walk down the street, drive or shop on the east side safely. No one neighborhood is really that much safer than the other in the city. The scumbags and predators travel on bikes, in cars, and on foot throughout the city. I just mentioned Lauren the gardener was robbed at gunpoint on Gill Alley in the heart of the Elmwood Village. I love the Elmwood Village but I have been robbed more in this neighborhood then I ever was on the East Side.
Make sense?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,331,391 times
Holy smokes - 3 stabbings in the Elmwood Village yesterday afternoon. It made the news this time! Wow, I was shocked!
That rarely happens in arguably one of the safest areas of Buffalo.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Holy smokes - 3 stabbings in the Elmwood Village yesterday afternoon. It made the news this time! Wow, I was shocked!
My point exactly. Not to mention the shooting on West.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Is that the same incident in which two teenagers went on a rampage and started fighting all over Elmwood Avenue, went inside a convenience store and sprayed blood all over slim jims, and then fought some more before being arrested? That was in the Buffalo News Police blotter today.

Man that is sad and sick at the same time. Its a social problem with teenagers who don't care about anyone or anything. I hope the two culprits end up serving a long jail sentence.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:00 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,331,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Is that the same incident in which two teenagers went on a rampage and started fighting all over Elmwood Avenue, went inside a convenience store and sprayed blood all over slim jims, and then fought some more before being arrested? That was in the Buffalo News Police blotter today.

Man that is sad and sick at the same time. Its a social problem with teenagers who don't care about anyone or anything. I hope the two culprits end up serving a long jail sentence.
This is so terrible and yet happens everyday in every city. It is a true shame people must do this, and there needs to be some type of action to prevent things like this occuring. Such a shame.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
This is so terrible and yet happens everyday in every city. It is a true shame people must do this, and there needs to be some type of action to prevent things like this occuring. Such a shame.
Proper education and mentoring of youth is a start. Take it from a schoolteacher. Many times these youth either get bored with life and want dangerous excitement or they were bred into troubled families and they grow up with that mentality that they have to be tough and bully others or else be bullied themselves. These troubled youth often have low self esteem and need someone to guide them; they need something to do so they can be proud of themselves. If they don't get this, they will eventually take it out on someone or someplace who does and attempt to make everyone share their misery.

What the residents of Elmwood Village can do is band together if they haven't already and do their own community policing. The cameras recently installed is a good start but not enough. The residents need to keep a constant eye on suspicious activity. Be watchful of large bands of surly youth traversing up the street and inside stores of individuals who come in as a group but immediately branch out to different corners once inside and stay observing the store's activities. Convenient stores are especially vulnerable to trouble and should be even more closely monitored.

Most importantly, the residents of Elmwood have to stand up to this. Cowering, fearing absurdly that the neighborhood and the city is becoming a living nightmare, wanting to go elsewhere, and/or shutting themselves up in their homes will decrease pedestrian traffic and increase the vulnerability of the neighborhood. They must resist the temptation to do this. The Elmwood Village has worked so hard to present itself as a model community that is safe to live and work in. It would be disastrous if it gave this up and good, honest inhabitants move out.

Does anyone know if the police do community policing in the neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area