Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:43 AM

231 posts, read 627,017 times

Advertisements

I got so wrapped up figure out where I'm gonna go for school that I forgot all about my girlfriend. She's currenlty going to a community college here in orlando for education. I'm looking at what her option are in Buffalo. She wants to be a Social studies teacher. The only schools that I came across that specifically offer a BS in Social studies Buffalo State & Medaille College. I know Buf State is reputalble but what about Medaille? Keep in mind that she not the strongest student competitivly (2.9 gpa).

I guess if worst comes to worst she could go to Erie Community College and get her teaching assistant certificate and transfer to Buffalo State when her grades get better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 12:09 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,333,943 times
Then I would go for Buffalo State, Medaille isn't exactly academically rigorous, but my sister is in Buff State's education program, and it is supposed to be the best in the area by far. Plus Medaille isn't exactly cheap.

If I were her, I would apply at both, using Medaille as the fall back school.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:27 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,858,193 times
Medaille has come a very long way - BUT those grades are not looking so great. I dont think she could even graduate with a gpa of under 3? can you?

tell her to go to ecc and get her basics out of the way and up that gpa and then move on to get the rest of her studies in line.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
Medaille has come a very long way - BUT those grades are not looking so great. I dont think she could even graduate with a gpa of under 3? can you?

tell her to go to ecc and get her basics out of the way and up that gpa and then move on to get the rest of her studies in line.
Thats florida for ya. I got into Barry (the better of the two law schools in orlando) with a 3.1. I believe here in florida you just have to have a c avg. to graduate. She's got all a's and b's expect for two f's.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Yeah, I would tell her to go with Buff. State. If you were coming to Syracuse, I would have said LeMoyne or SU. SUNY's like Oswego and Cortland aren't that far, but they are both around 30-45 minutes away.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:19 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,333,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post

In NY you need a 2.0 GPA (or a "C") average to graduate from a SUNY school (that is, any public school)

Old 05-10-2009, 03:33 PM

268 posts, read 1,050,482 times
In the Canisius Ed Dept any grade of C or lower is a failing grade.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
In NY you need a 2.0 GPA (or a "C") average to graduate from a SUNY school (that is, any public school)
I'm sure you are correct. However i'm not worried about her being able graduate so much as I am worried about her being able to get in.

She already has an AA in CSI but its from FMU (nationally but not regionally accredited) so I don't think that'll help.. you know one should make up their mind about what they want to be when they grow up..before they get the degree.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:09 PM

14 posts, read 36,028 times
Nothing wrong with a 2.9. and Buffalo State is a good school for education. Why go to a private school to be a teacher----that's like going to Yale and majoring in sociology, doesn't make sense.

Social Studies teachers are a dime a dozen; I would recommend her to get a special ed certification----that's where the jobs are. Get one there, then transfer into a SS job when they become available.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:55 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny228 View Post
Nothing wrong with a 2.9. and Buffalo State is a good school for education. Why go to a private school to be a teacher----that's like going to Yale and majoring in sociology, doesn't make sense.

Social Studies teachers are a dime a dozen; I would recommend her to get a special ed certification----that's where the jobs are. Get one there, then transfer into a SS job when they become available.
Also, I would advise 1 thing and note another:

1) Try to get the grades up a bit at Buffalo State, many school districts want to see a 3.0 or better when you graduate (though 2.9 is close enough that with some good references (make that student teaching stint count!) you should be OK.

2) NY State, unlike most states, requires a masters degree for teaching. Now you can start out without one and you have I think 3 or 4 years to get one to keep your certification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area