Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:17 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,974,596 times

Advertisements

Snow from May to September is really rare though. And even April and October your lucky to get a couple of inches, and then its too warm to stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 12:23 PM

185 posts, read 415,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockwalliper View Post
I recall flurries in early May on several occasions.
i remembered that in 1998 in may one day it was 91 degrees the next it was snowing i believe

Old 05-08-2009, 12:38 PM

7 posts, read 27,908 times
It did not snow in June in the 80's. It snowed on a sunday morning on Mother's day 1989. I was a senior in high school and was walking to my job at Woolworth's at Eastern Hills Mall and couldn't believe I was freezing my butt off and the aquanet hairspray in my hair was catching the crystals of snow-LOL! Never do I recall snow in June. Maybe in the southtowns, and maybe hail, but never snow!

Old 05-08-2009, 01:18 PM

602 posts, read 2,025,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
June of 1998 I was holding a b/day party in a park - we had hail - - - - - people had to bring out the blankets.............................. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Yep, I remember going to Grad Night at Darien Lake that year and they had to close down the water rides.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:25 PM

7 posts, read 54,122 times
I remember last summer (sometime in June/July/August) during the day in Amherst when it suddenly became cold and started hailing chunks of ice. You could just hear it outside hitting everyone's cars in the parking lot.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:59 PM

13 posts, read 55,296 times
About 4 or 5 year ago - I live in Vegas now...

(sorry, I couldn't resist!!!)

But growing up, I remember my Dad planting TULIPS in DECEMBER more than a few years (not in a row)!!!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:15 AM

31 posts, read 73,792 times
Default Mother's Day 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I drove to Rochester to defend my dissertation on May 1, 1989(?); one week later they had a heavy snowfall - maybe a foot? I remember being very happy that I hadn't waited a week.
Uhhh...hail is not snow, folks. Entirely different form of precipitation.

I had to travel to Rochester after that Mother's Day storm of 1989. I had to be there early and there had not been much traffic and no plows out yet. The return trip was much better as the snow was melting already.

When mentioning accumulated snow, I remember about 3" on May 10th, 1977. The only reason I can remember that is I worked in Pearl Creek, NY and there was only one May I worked there...and May 10th was the day, rain, snow, or high water, that my Uncle Eddie's cows returned to pasture after wintering in the dairy barn.

Yeah, I'm a country hick from way back! And part of that hayseed experience was sitting up late on a Saturday night watching a "pull-off" of some weight class of pulling tractors. Back then the technology for the weight transfer boat had not been perfected and breakdowns were the rule (we probably got the hand-me-down first-generation equipment from the national circuit that never worked right).

So a tractor pull might go on until 2, 3, 3:30 am. Why all this?

In southeastern Wyoming county I have seen snowflakes falling from the sky in EVERY month of the year...but no accumulation in June, July, or August, of course.

Last edited by MuddyAxles; 06-12-2009 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-12-2009, 11:10 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,720,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonetoelpaso View Post
i remembered that in 1998 in may one day it was 91 degrees the next it was snowing i believe
Yeah only Buffalo has weather like that heres a point my dad made. Keep the snow. Why? Cause it takes care of itself. It melts. I would take snow over tornados, hurricanes, etc... anyday.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 9,468 times
The lastest Buffalo had significant snow in the spring was May 18 2002. I had not moved to Buffalo yet even though I had puchased a house here with my girlfriend. She was already living in Buffalo and I was in DC. I flew in Saturday morning in shorts and flips only to find out it was snowing. It snowed all day. A very wet snow. Did not stick on the street but did stick on the grass. One weekend before memorial weekend. I was in complete shock.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:48 PM

1,859 posts, read 3,407,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdaysd View Post
The lastest Buffalo had significant snow in the spring was May 18 2002. I had not moved to Buffalo yet even though I had puchased a house here with my girlfriend. She was already living in Buffalo and I was in DC. I flew in Saturday morning in shorts and flips only to find out it was snowing. It snowed all day. A very wet snow. Did not stick on the street but did stick on the grass. One weekend before memorial weekend. I was in complete shock.
I've seen snow in Erie and Monroe Counties during the first week of May, and snow piles into June.

As a kid we would hang out on L. Ontario with family, up in Wilson. I remember temps in the 40's with high winds in late-August. That really, really sucked. Funny part was 10 miles inland it was warm and sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area