Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 05:46 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,215,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
What makes Pilot Field so special? I don't get it...
From wikipedia:

Quote:
After several years as Pilot Field, there was a dispute involving the naming rights to the stadium following Pilot Air Freight's defaulting on naming rights payments. For part of a season, the stadium was known locally simply as the "Downtown Ballpark."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,349,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Hmm... Well why do people like the name so much? Cause that's what it started out as?

Old 05-14-2009, 11:47 PM

602 posts, read 2,034,647 times
Quote:
Hmm... Well why do people like the name so much? Cause that's what it started out as?
Partially, but Pilot Field does roll off the tongue better than the other names its had.

Its kinda like what is now Progressive Field is still "The Jake" to most folks, (myself included) in NE Ohio.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:23 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,215,518 times
Quote:
I think so. I don't mind hearing Cola-Cola Field... it's a world-known name, I guess.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemuck View Post
Partially, but Pilot Field does roll off the tongue better than the other names its had.

Its kinda like what is now Progressive Field is still "The Jake" to most folks, (myself included) in NE Ohio.
Yeah, i suppose i can see that... But... IMO, Pilot Field wasn't the best name, and while the ball park's name has changed so many times, I don't really mind so much what it's called, but I think Coca~Cola Field is more world-recognized, and makes a statement for a future MLB team to locate here!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:07 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,333,345 times
Quote:
Yeah, i suppose i can see that... But... IMO, Pilot Field wasn't the best name, and while the ball park's name has changed so many times, I don't really mind so much what it's called, but I think Coca~Cola Field is more world-recognized, and makes a statement for a future MLB team to locate here!
We're only like the 75th largest city now (and shrinking). There are about 30 NHL, NBA, NFL, and MLB teams.

Like or not the city won't able to support a third team unless things really turn around (which they well may). But if the population goes to 250K, I think that the Bills are gone. It will probably be only 2020 when that happens, can you even imagine the Bills still be in Buffalo in 10 years?

I hope they are because I think that they are a great asset to the city, and truly unique and remarkable franchise. But I could honestly see Las Vegas, maybe even Oklahoma City, or Virginia Beach. (Va. Beach is now almost double the population of Buffalo)

Old 05-15-2009, 07:31 PM

602 posts, read 2,034,647 times
Quote:
Pilot, errr, Coke Field was built with a future expansion to accommodate a MLB team. But considering the current economy in Buffalo and elsewhere, not to mention even before the recession MLB talked about contracting one or 2 teams, I doubt you'll ever see a team in Buffalo. Although, I think people would support a team.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemuck View Post
Pilot, errr, Coke Field was built with a future expansion to accommodate a MLB team. But considering the current economy in Buffalo and elsewhere, not to mention even before the recession MLB talked about contracting one or 2 teams, I doubt you'll ever see a team in Buffalo. Although, I think people would support a team.
Jimmy Griffin made the new ballpark possible. He loved the city, and he loved baseball. His dream was for Buffalo to have an MLB team, with Pilot Field being able to accommodate expansion to double its seating capacity - to 40,000 with an upper deck.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
We're only like the 75th largest city now (and shrinking). There are about 30 NHL, NBA, NFL, and MLB teams.
Uhh...75th largest city? No. I'm aware we aren't the 6th largest anymore like we were back right after the 1900 census, but we are still a big league city with a large population ABSOLUTELY CRAMMED into 40 square miles - still making us one of the most dense cities in the country. Given that a very large percentage of our metro lies in Canada, connected by nearly the busiest bridge in the world, makes statistics lie, when they don't include parts of southeastern Ontario. We are number 53 on the largest cities, if we included more of our metro, we would easily reach into the upper 30's to 20's on the ranking.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:08 PM

927 posts, read 1,459,508 times
huh??? okay - haven't lived back there since the Early 80's - so where is that? what was it called back in the day?

kind of looks sort of like the foot of Niagara or maybe foot of Porter

Can someone PM me with the friggin number to the DMV department where a person pays the reinstatement fee for driving without insurance. (not a ticket)

just bit me - darn things from 1982 or 83 ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area