Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where are Buffalonians fleeing to?
NYC Metro Area 11 9.57%
West towards Saracuse/Albany/Rochester 4 3.48%
Canada (Toronto/GTA) 7 6.09%
Out of state 91 79.13%
Other 2 1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:12 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I grew up in Cheektowaga and left 40 years ago and people where leaving back then with many of the same issues, as today. Unfortunately Buffalo never got better; it got worse. Now, I live in the Denver Metro Area. All my siblings, my parents--all moved to Colorado. No, regrets, no looking back---much improved quality of life. I meet people every year who moved here from Western New York--never heard a complaint.

For those of you, who are in denial and saying that people leave and most of them move back--that is far from the case--population statistics show the true facts. People, Families, Industry, Talent, Intelligence, Creativity--they all vote with their feet. It is very sad because I still believe that Western New York as a whole, offers many amenities.

Livecontent
I have some family in the Denver area too, and I personally love it out there! It is the first place I would chose to move to, if I had the opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 10:04 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,532 times
Northeast Ohio seems to have a lot of former WNY'ers.....

Old 08-10-2009, 07:37 PM

11 posts, read 27,601 times
I left for Raleigh, NC about 4 years ago. My wife and I believe we've made the correct choice, not just in leaving, but in where we were headed. There are a lot of things I miss (food, friends, family, $350 NiMo bills in the winter, shovels and snowblowers cluttering the garage-I didn't REALLY need the extra space), but I think we'll manage.

In all seriousness, a part of me will always wish we didn't feel the need to leave, but, knowing what I know, I won't be coming back unless it's for a visit...and even then it won't be between October and April...then again, I've always been more tolerant of heat than cold.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:11 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
My daughter have friends who left after college for "dream" jobs in NC, AZ, CA and other points south. All the "dream jobs" are drying up and they have mediocre ones. My 2 girls both have good jobs here and never left.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 PM

34 posts, read 39,124 times
I see a lot of people from Buffalo Rochester and Syracuse in the DC area.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 PM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONSHIRT View Post
I see a lot of people from Buffalo Rochester and Syracuse in the DC area.
and in Charlotte, Raleigh, the Tidewater area of VA and Atlanta.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 PM

112 posts, read 282,485 times
Where every I go, I meet people who left WNY
Denver, Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, Austin, Tampa
Baltimore, Raleigh, Chicago, Charlotte, Lexington, Richmond, Atlanta, But again WNY lost more then half it's population.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:19 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,312 times
We left not Buffalo, but Chautauqua County over a year ago and are in San Antonio TX. Love the winter here and am getting used to the summers. The ocean is just a couple hours away. Employment is good. Anything in the medical field and other fields. Housing is very reasonable. You get a lot of bang for your buck. People are friendly. I am happy here.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:41 PM

42 posts, read 148,620 times
We fled to Cary, NC. It is named for the last name of its founder but it's nickname down here is: Centralized Area for Relocated Yankees. We like it. Houses are more expensive compared to Buffalo though. Buffalo is really reasonable for the national average. Still, it is beautiful here and there is something for every age group.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:20 AM

112 posts, read 282,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candiceliz1980 View Post
We fled to Cary, NC. It is named for the last name of its founder but it's nickname down here is: Centralized Area for Relocated Yankees. We like it. Houses are more expensive compared to Buffalo though. Buffalo is really reasonable for the national average. Still, it is beautiful here and there is something for every age group.
My cousin just sold their house in Lancaster and bought a house
in Cary NC, Their taxes in Cary are $4,200 less a year for the same size
house. Also they said Cary is like New WNY with ton's of people would have moved their.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area