Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where are Buffalonians fleeing to?
NYC Metro Area 11 9.57%
West towards Saracuse/Albany/Rochester 4 3.48%
Canada (Toronto/GTA) 7 6.09%
Out of state 91 79.13%
Other 2 1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:04 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRocks View Post
My cousin just sold their house in Lancaster and bought a house
in Cary NC, Their taxes in Cary are $4,200 less a year for the same size
house. Also they said Cary is like New WNY with ton's of people would have moved their.
Interesting... Lancaster/Town Line/Alden are my target area's to move Back to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 04:14 PM

79 posts, read 258,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Theres been a rapid decline in the metro's population within the past few decades, where are Buffalonians migrating to? Where's the best place at the moment for jobs?

(Edit for the poll.. I meant EAST towards "Saracuse/Albany/Rochester")
Soooo many former Buffalonians are here in the metro Atlanta area. It's probably comparable to Charlotte in the number of Buffalo transplants. Atlanta is not the best place to find a job now...our unemployment rate in Georgia is 10.3%.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:21 AM

294 posts, read 412,522 times
i see why so many lack of good jobs and high taxes . i parents left when i was young . imoved back 5yrs ago. kinda a return to hometown thing . but regret ever since . will be leave soon . back to fl.i've also seen these same problems in cali.too . that going to happen here too . if albany doesn't smarten up!

Old 08-25-2009, 12:16 PM

8 posts, read 9,272 times
85% said out of state.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,856 times
Moved to Ohio from near Elmira in the 90's, and have met a lot of folks from Western NY around here. Until the last couple of years at least, greater Cleveland was still growing, and jobs were plentiful for those that knew how to do a decent search. Personally, I'd think that anyone from Buffalo would feel quite at home in Toledo, greater Cleveland, or even Akron-Canton or Youngstown-Warren. We still have the Lake Erie shore, there a lots of little lakes for fishing/swimming/boating, and you have the good pizza and good Italian/German/Polish restaurants in Northern Ohio.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:55 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
I was in Tampa for about a week, met about half a dozen people from Western New York.

West Seneca, Tonawanda, South Buffalo, you name it.

Tampa is huge for ex buffalonians..

Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
After graduating we both hung around for a 6 years trying to find opportunities in Buffalo. Since we realized that most good paying jobs in Buffalo from a Police Officer to working at GM was based off family connections, we decided that it was not worth the effort. We left out of State and never came back. Now we're living comfortably.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:10 AM

101 posts, read 247,777 times
I left the Buffalo area twice. I was born and raised in Cheektowaga, I miss it every day.

The first time I left was in '97 I went to Las Vegas. I met and married my husband there, shortly after he recieved an incredible job opportunity that moved us to Montana. We lived there for a year and a half before they closed the site where he was working, since we didn't want to relocate to either of the places they offered to move us, I talked him into moving to my hometown.

We lived in Cheektowaga for about 5 years before we knew there was just no future for us there.

We are now in the Tucson, AZ area and have a very nice and comfortable life but I still miss the Buffalo area every single day, especially during the summer months.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:43 PM

450 posts, read 1,514,161 times
Las Vegas, NV and I wouldn't change it for the world! Two Buffalo Bars out here, Johnnie Mac's and Santora's Sunset Bar & Grill to fulfill my wing withdrawal. Extreme heat, yes but for maybe 2.5 months where you stay indoors and go out later at night...similar to Buffalo winters where you travel on non-snowing days if you must, or stay indoors most of December/January. This past January, temps were in the mid 60's, some days went down to around 45 but that was the lowest all year long. I laugh now at all my friends in Buffalo who complained all summer long about when "summer" was going to start. The minute it hit 85 and was humid, everyone was then complaining it was too hot and sticky, and they needed air conditioning. A majority of my family that still lives in Buffalo is miserable, there is rarely anything to look forward to.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 AM

40 posts, read 111,696 times
Funny this topic is here cause the guy who just moved in downstairs from me is from Buffalo. I talked to him today and first thing he did was complain about the heat even though today was pretty cool compared to usual. Just wait till he gets to know that Oklahoma summer next year in July/August when its 105-110 almost every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area