Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:05 PM

205 posts, read 479,495 times

Advertisements

Not a bad area.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:11 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, people tend to put the whole city in one boat, instead of realizing that neighborhoods can vary within one side of town, let alone how each side of town is different.
Right, in this particular section of Black Rock we are talking about a (lower) middle class neighborhood with a bunch of strong businesses and owner-occupied homes. And as you note it borders the best neighborhoods of Buffalo. If you go down there late at night you're not going to see groups of young men drinking 40s on the corner and causing trouble. You may find it uncomfortably quiet after dark (unfortunately a fact of life in most of Buffalo) but Buff State kids do manage to get back and forth from Wegmans 24 hours a day without much trouble.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:17 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,746 times
One more thing, I would guess that the collegiate foot traffic around there is only going to increase with the new dorms on Grant St.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 9,929 times
Thank you for the help. I walked around the area and it seemed like a lot of families and college students. I'd be walking under a quarter mile from a bus stop to a house after dark.
It seemed like a decent area but I was a little anxious. So thanks again for the help.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
LOL, people think that area is unsafe? I have a friend that owns a house in that area. We have never gotten into any trouble. Walked around at night with no issues. Buffalo in general is a safe city. Hundreds of thousands of people go through it daily without being mugged or shot.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 9,929 times
From my research today, I learned that only .01% of people experience violent crimes per year, and .06% non-violent. And of that .07%, in all of Buffalo, I'd imagine a good portion are date rapes/ assaults, serious bar fights, personal issues, etc. And while this is sad/ a problem, its not the type you have to fear about because you're walking in the wrong neighborhood.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:28 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
You can tell wrong (as usual, your judgment is impaired). I know exactly that area, about 1.5 miles from Tonawanda St., not far from Niagara St. You aren't far from one of the worst areas in Buffalo (Blackrock). I have been there after dark, but you need to be very careful! It's not a safe area. I used to play the drums there 3 times a week until about 11:30, and I certainly did not enjoy the 1 minute walk to my car. There are lots of robberies, even more burglaries.

In all honesty, stay in North Buffalo, or go to the suburbs and you will be safe. Buffalo is NOT a safe city, except in small pockets, but there are robberies all over the city.

Buffalo is the 24th most dangerous city for violent crime, and the area you are questioning is a more dangerous area of the city than average. I would avoid it at all costs if you can.
I used to live around there , and I grew up not far from there, and I have to agree..alas Buffalo is not the city of yore...demographic shift ya know...

Old 07-25-2009, 08:21 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,915 times
My uncle has lived in the Black Rock area for nearly 50 years. It's definitely sketchier than it used to be especialy in regards to violent robberies. I personally probably wouldn't feel comfortable walking around that area at night, though my uncle walks home from work every night and doesn't have any trouble. It's definitely no problem driving through there if you are going to Wegmans or visiting someone.

Safe is a subjective thing. I feel much less safe on Elmwood or Hertel than I do walking around Manhattan, Downtown Toronto or my pedestrian friendly little town on Long Island. What people in the City of Buffalo consider safe is not the level of urban safety many outsiders have come to expect in urban areas. Sure Elmwood and Hertel are safer than the East Side or parts of the Lower West Side but if you read the police reports bad stuff still happens there that you wouldn't expect by the looks of it. I still look over my shoulder when I walk the streets of Buffalo in way I don't do when I'm in NYC surrounded by thousands of people.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:16 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times
Totally agree. I kind of link Buffalo with Jersey City, same types of little gangs in both places. In Jersey City my and about 5 friends were walking back from Hoboken and a group of hispanics pulled knives on us... I always get erie feelings now when I am in an empty-ish city after 11 or 12.

But I agree about Manhattan, even if you are in some isolated area, you are never far from humanity.

And plus NYC has a gun ban, so you know that the criminals have no guns.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:29 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Totally agree. I kind of link Buffalo with Jersey City, same types of little gangs in both places. In Jersey City my and about 5 friends were walking back from Hoboken and a group of hispanics pulled knives on us... I always get erie feelings now when I am in an empty-ish city after 11 or 12.

But I agree about Manhattan, even if you are in some isolated area, you are never far from humanity.

And plus NYC has a gun ban, so you know that the criminals have no guns.
Or they have them illegally...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area