Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockwalliper View Post
Not according to the county web site.
I'm sorry, I searched the County website and didn't find anything about, can you provide us with a link.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:39 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
The "E" stands for "Erie", and just one campus in the city. It isn't that city residents can go to the suburbs, it's all one Erie County.
I don't quite get what you are saying. I might be reading it wrong. Are you saying that Buffalo residents are unable/unwilling to go to the suburbs for ECC?

I think you missed a word somewhere in your post.

I think it's fine to have two campuses outside of Buffalo. Even though Buffalo is the county seat, most of the revenues for the county come from the suburbs, and Buffalo is less that 1/3 of the population, therefore I think it is suiting that only 1/3 of campuses are there. They have made ECC very accessible, no matter if you live in the city Northtowns, or Southtowns.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I don't quite get what you are saying. I might be reading it wrong. Are you saying that Buffalo residents are unable/unwilling to go to the suburbs for ECC?

I think you missed a word somewhere in your post.
When I wrote about how it seems Buffalo isn't getting it's fair share of funding for infrastructure, someone wrote about all the things that are county funded in the city, like ECC. City residents go to the suburban campus' and vise versa. Which was the point of it being all one county for college options. But the purpose of this thread is about how it seems Buffalo doesn't receive any funding from the county for infrastructure projects, like road repairs.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:09 PM

For your reading "pleasure." Erie County's budget. About 1000 pages of it.

Just browsing, it seems like 90% of the budget is staff, and staff support and benefits. I tried to find out where the money went geographically.

https://erie.gov/exec/pdfs/budget09_bookA_adopted.pdf
https://erie.gov/exec/pdfs/budget09_bookB_adopted.pdf

You seem to be making a big mistake though, Buffalo does not deserve a majority of the funds, it is not the majority of the county, though it is the biggest city. Average wages are far higher in every suburb, if I had to guess, I would say that it terms of taxes paid by residents of the county, Buffalonians probably only cover 15-25% of the taxes paid by individuals... and don't get started on how many more Buffalonians take advantage of social welfare programs compared to the rest of the county, I would guess that at least 50% of welfare recipients of Erie County live in Buffalo.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
You seem to be making a big mistake though, Buffalo does not deserve a majority of the funds, it is not the majority of the county, though it is the biggest city.
I don't recall writing Buffalo deserves a majority of funding, anywhere. The question asks about why there is no county infrastructure projects in the City of Buffalo. The word pertains to roadwork, that's the focus of this thread, not welfare, not colleges, not hospitals.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:14 PM

205 posts, read 479,495 times
Fedup I understand where you are coming from and the point you are trying to make. However it is counter productive. There are 909,845ish people that live in Erie County and of those 272,632ish live in Buffalos city proper. Of the 1227 sqr feet that is Erie County 52.5 is Buffalo. Let's be real here. Erie county is one of the oldest counties in the country and is run is such an archiac way that is makes most peoples head spin. It would be cheaper for everyone to stop spawrling and consolidate into a county wide government for everyone. No one wants this though. Not city residents. Not suburban residents. Not rural residents. All afraid of change and all afraid of losing their ever shrinking piece of the pie. Its frustrating that people will cut off their nose to spite their face.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I don't recall writing Buffalo deserves a majority of funding, anywhere. The question asks about why there is no county infrastructure projects in the City of Buffalo. The word pertains to roadwork, that's the focus of this thread, not welfare, not colleges, not hospitals.
Sorry, I was getting a little confused... There are a few conversations going on at the same time in the thread.

BL: I wouldn't want a county-wide government either, although, I don't think that they could screw up any worse than the individual towns do. But you want one way to get everyone mad, it is one government. Kind of the NYC/ rest of NY tension. NYC thinks that we take advantage of them (but we really know that NYC sucks the life out of the good parts of NYS)
If we incorporated all the towns into one government, the suburbs would complain that Buffalo takes too much (which they already do), and Buffalo would whine because they aren't getting enough money to pay off its residents (through welfare) for votes.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:15 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,434 times
Quote:
When I wrote about how it seems Buffalo isn't getting it's fair share of funding for infrastructure, someone wrote about all the things that are county funded in the city, like ECC. City residents go to the suburban campus' and vise versa. Which was the point of it being all one county for college options. But the purpose of this thread is about how it seems Buffalo doesn't receive any funding from the county for infrastructure projects, like road repairs.
As long as you can get to the stadium its all good. Like someone wrote below, the free handouts have to be addressed, the cord needs to be cut.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
As long as you can get to the stadium its all good. Like someone wrote below, the free handouts have to be addressed, the cord needs to be cut.
*sigh* never mind. The subject asks about the lack of county funded road work in the city of Buffalo. Almost everyone else is talking about different county departments throughout the county unrelated to road work.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:54 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,434 times
Quote:
*sigh* never mind. The subject asks about the lack of county funded road work in the city of Buffalo. Almost everyone else is talking about different county departments throughout the county unrelated to road work.
Absolutely agree that good maintained roads are needed to get to the stadium... and other places of impact and interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area