Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:45 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,221,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is it true that there may be upwards to 70 inches of snow in parts of the metro by early tomorrow? I've also heard that areas to the north got pretty much a dusting, if anything.

I grew up in Elma and we always got pounded. I told my wife the northtowns get a fraction of what we used to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,833,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
I grew up in Elma and we always got pounded. I told my wife the northtowns get a fraction of what we used to get.
Are property values much higher in the north towns compared to the south towns, because of the difference in snow bands?

Old 11-20-2014, 10:40 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,856,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Are property values much higher in the north towns compared to the south towns, because of the difference in snow bands?
You do get more for your money in the Southtowns. Generally bigger lots and less crowded. Is it directly because of the snow? Maybe that's part of it. Part of it is that it is a bit further from the hub of commercial activity (Amherst/Williamsville), so that plays a part too.

I grew up in the Northtowns (Grand Island) and I enjoyed it too. Less weather drama than the southtowns but having to go over the bridges to leave the Island plus the strange NIMBYism there were downsides. Traffic is a bit heavier in the Northtowns too but no where near East Coast levels.

I will be buying in Hamburg and I think it's an excellent value for the money. The school district Frontier has been excellent and my children are thriving there. Overall, I think I will enjoy the southtowns.

Now all I have to do is sell this house here on Long Island and I can join my family up there.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:34 AM

Does anyone know if Grand Island is a good town to live in? I think it's neat that the whole town is basically its own island!

Old 11-20-2014, 02:14 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,856,200 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if Grand Island is a good town to live in? I think it's neat that the whole town is basically its own island!
People can be a little insular there and they generally oppose any and all development of any kind. However it is quiet and there lots of outdoor things to do. Good for a family, maybe a little too quiet for a single person. Depends what you are looking for. The back ups at the bridges can be mildly annoying at times.
Still much better than what you are used to on I-95

Old 11-20-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
People can be a little insular there and they generally oppose any and all development of any kind. However it is quiet and there lots of outdoor things to do. Good for a family, maybe a little too quiet for a single person. Depends what you are looking for. The back ups at the bridges can be mildly annoying at times.
Still much better than what you are used to on I-95
That sounds awesome. If I end up relocating up there, I will definitely look into Grand Island.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:16 AM

694 posts, read 1,032,544 times
I was in Buffalo on business extensively in the early part of 2013. Yes, I saw poverty, but I also came into contact with some very friendly people and did not witness any of the snobs and pretentious types we have here in Denver.

You have a great sports fan base for both the Bills and the Sabres and hockey fans in Buffalo understand the game, unlike the ones here who attend the Avs games. I also found a great bar up the street from the First Niagara Center that I went to several times before the Sabres games and hung out with some great hockey fans.

I really enjoyed the Buffalo Chop House. I thought the Town of Williamsville was really nice and enjoyed several of the local shopping malls that I discovered.

The Little Italy section was incredible.

Although I didn't go inside, the Shea Theater looked very art deco.

I always stayed at the Hyatt Regency downtown and the people there couldn't be more nicer and helpful.

I will admit the downtown area did look somewhat depressing at times, but that can be fixed.

Overall, being from NYC, I would definitely move there.

Last edited by JohnnyDenver; 11-21-2014 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-21-2014, 08:57 PM

I am so worried right now. On Tuesday, I had a phone interview with a major company in Buffalo, and it went very well. The interviewer, an HR recruiter said that she "will definitely forward my resume to the hiring manager for further consideration and will get back to me with an update probably by Thursday."

But nothing happened. No word. No phone call, no e-mail. Nothing. Does this mean that they rejected me? Ugh.....I was so close to getting a phone interview with the hiring manager.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:26 AM

694 posts, read 1,032,544 times
Quote:
I am so worried right now. On Tuesday, I had a phone interview with a major company in Buffalo, and it went very well. The interviewer, an HR recruiter said that she "will definitely forward my resume to the hiring manager for further consideration and will get back to me with an update probably by Thursday."

But nothing happened. No word. No phone call, no e-mail. Nothing. Does this mean that they rejected me? Ugh.....I was so close to getting a phone interview with the hiring manager.
hang in there . . . maybe the snow prevented them from getting to the office.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,448 times
Buffalo is a tough place to find work but the people there are the salt of the earth which is hard to match in other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area