Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:25 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Actually duplexes more often are like townhouses, with separate entrances, but share a common wall.

My parents owned several in Buffalo until they wizened up and decided to get their capital out of this city and go to the very nice city of Cincinnati (which I love)
What's interesting is that crime is about the same in Cincinnati as it is in Buffalo. It has grown slightly though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 11:49 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What's interesting is that crime is about the same in Cincinnati as it is in Buffalo. It has grown slightly though.
I'm honestly not all that worried about crime. The advantage is in Ohio, my right to keep and bear arms won't be infringed upon. I would much rather live in a city with a high crime rate, and be able to keep my pistol, than a city with a moderately high crime rate, and have everyone know that I am not armed (outside of my house).

That aside, Cincinnati is doing what Buffalo should have and is offering competitive taxation rates, which is why it is increasing while Dayton is going down.

Go south of the Ohio river and you've got Louisville, which is declining, but it has been mitigated by anti-unionization policies, so that's not what is scaring manufacturing off, like it is here.

If you could combine anti-union policies, with low taxes, Buffalo's population would start increasing by 2015.

I've said it a million times. There is nothing that makes Buffalo an inherently bad city. It is dumb policies. We aren't located in a river basin, we aren't on a fault line, we don't get tornadoes, all we see for weather is snow and rain. There is no reason for Buffalo to be declining.

Ask my family, who is fairly well off where they would rather spend their money, and they'll say wherever they can make the most money. The advantage to that city where they move their money is that my family gives to local charities and they tithe to their church each week.

Buffalo has potential... It always does, unfortunately out politicians keep holding us down.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:58 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I'm honestly not all that worried about crime. The advantage is in Ohio, my right to keep and bear arms won't be infringed upon. I would much rather live in a city with a high crime rate, and be able to keep my pistol, than a city with a moderately high crime rate, and have everyone know that I am not armed (outside of my house).

That aside, Cincinnati is doing what Buffalo should have and is offering competitive taxation rates, which is why it is increasing while Dayton is going down.

Go south of the Ohio river and you've got Louisville, which is declining, but it has been mitigated by anti-unionization policies, so that's not what is scaring manufacturing off, like it is here.

If you could combine anti-union policies, with low taxes, Buffalo's population would start increasing by 2015.

I've said it a million times. There is nothing that makes Buffalo an inherently bad city. It is dumb policies. We aren't located in a river basin, we aren't on a fault line, we don't get tornadoes, all we see for weather is snow and rain. There is no reason for Buffalo to be declining.

Ask my family, who is fairly well off where they would rather spend their money, and they'll say wherever they can make the most money. The advantage to that city where they move their money is that my family gives to local charities and they tithe to their church each week.

Buffalo has potential... It always does, unfortunately out politicians keep holding us down.
It is? It's technically the 17th biggest city(combined with Jefferson County) in the country now. Louisville, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Louisville, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will agree with the taxes that effect business growth. NY is 49th in the country in that category. it's not even the property taxes, so much as it is the taxes in regards to business. on the other hand, there have been companies given tax breaks that have left anyway. So, maybe it is a thing of forming local companies and getting other companies with some integrity that will stay when they say they will stay.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:50 PM

15 posts, read 24,113 times
This is quite old, but I am originally from Louisiana, and I agree with the thread starter....housing like this is hard to find in the south. It's interesting how things vary by region.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:28 AM

61 posts, read 166,661 times
How do you look for housing like this? Is there a good website that lists all the different places for rent? So far I am only finding ones that cater to strictly apartments, which these don't fall under...

Old 06-05-2010, 09:31 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar1 View Post
How do you look for housing like this? Is there a good website that lists all the different places for rent? So far I am only finding ones that cater to strictly apartments, which these don't fall under...
Buffalo News & Craigslist are good places to start. Some of the realtor's deal in rentals too. I know Realty USA use to deal in a good bit of rentals, might want to check their website out ...........

Upstate New York Real Estate

Old 06-16-2010, 12:07 PM

46 posts, read 134,358 times
Basciilly you live either upstairs or downstairs. No roomates. Think of a small single family home put on top of each other. It makes rent cheaper in my eyes too, depending on where you live and the home itself. I loved in a 3 bedroom downstairs and a family lived in a two bedroom upstairs. You don't share kitchens or anything. You actually don't have to really interact with the other people if you don't want to. The bad side is that if they are load neighbors you will here it through the ceiling. There are separate entrances as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area