Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:59 PM

56 posts, read 131,108 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I will be moving back to Long Island in May to live with my cousin until we get situated, get our residency, and save up money to live on our own. Since the island is so expensive we are looking to move upstate and I'm really liking what I see of Tonawanda but not sure if it would be a good fit for us since I am unfamiliar with the area. I'm wondering if you could help us.

About Us:
Early 20s college kids
Not interested in clubs
Liberal
Work at restaurants
Husband is obsessed with fishing

What's Important:
SAFE area where I won't be worried about crime
Community college nearby
Restaurants and shops nearby for work
Not far from grocery markets
Rent no more than $850.00 a month
Lakes nearby for my husband to fish.

If Tonawanda doesn't look like somewhere we would be able to move to, can you suggest other towns in the Buffalo area that might be more suitable for us?

I hope you can help us. Thank you in advanced.
-Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 09:34 AM

18 posts, read 66,997 times
Anywhere in this area is Liberal so that won't be a problem. Democrats and Unions run the area so taxes are very high and keep going up every year. You'll love it I'm sure.
Crime is off the charts bad in Liberal Buffalo and inner ring suburbs like Liberal Tonawanda, Cheektowaga, Lackwanna, etc. The crime donut hole is spreading fast so get far out if possible.

Public Assistance (welfare) is Buffalo's #1 employer. You'll want to live in outer ring suburbs like Hamburg or Orchard Park. $850 will get you a great apartment.
Erie Community College South Campus is a huge place right in between Hamburg and Orchard Park. Plenty of shopping and malls, places to eats etc. in the area
Fishing and lakes for husband: One of the biggest lakes is Erie as in Great Lakes. River fishing for steelhead is among the best on the PLANET in the Cattaragus Creek and people come from all over the world to fish for these monsters. Lake trout, small mouth bass, musky and walleye also.

Hope this helps. Not sure why you'd want to come here as the trend is for most younger people to leave the area due to low paying jobs and high taxes.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:52 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,550,045 times
The only areas with Community Colleges are ECC ... North is in Williamsville, Downtown = downtown Buffalo & as Solongny mentioned the South is in between Hamburg/OP & NCCC in Niagara Falls.

Hamburg (or maybe West Seneca) are likely going to be your best all around areas (in terms of being closest to what you are looking for). They are both close to ECC South, they are very safe but affordable suburbs with plenty of shopping/dining. Being in the Southtowns they also both offer easier/quicker access to Lake Erie as well as many of the lakes,streams & rivers south of the metro area. No issues with any of them being close to grocery stores (Hamburg has 2 Tops, 2 Aldis & a Wegmans).

Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,832,270 times
Hope you have your own boat. No charters for reasonable prices here; and no ocean fish... after 42 years, I still miss them.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:51 AM

879 posts, read 1,634,315 times
In Buffalo proper there are very nice and safe neighborhoods that $850 will get an apartment that will look nicer than anything outside of Buffalo and the added bonus is that on a budget you can ditch the car. Fishing is going to be tough. Best fishing is about an hour outside of Buffalo and south. Mostly chautauqua county, there are the coho runs in the North (Olcott). I take my kids for recreational fishing to the Niagara river and we catch some fish, but it's mostly entertainment and not "serious" fishing.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,550,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
In Buffalo proper there are very nice and safe neighborhoods that $850 will get an apartment that will look nicer than anything outside of Buffalo and the added bonus is that on a budget you can ditch the car. Fishing is going to be tough. Best fishing is about an hour outside of Buffalo and south. Mostly chautauqua county, there are the coho runs in the North (Olcott). I take my kids for recreational fishing to the Niagara river and we catch some fish, but it's mostly entertainment and not "serious" fishing.
Actually the Erie Canal in Tonawanda is much better fishing than people give it credit for. There is also plenty of good fishing areas just below Hamburg near Derby & Angola where the many streams/creeks empty into Lake Erie, which is maybe a 1/2 hour from downtown Buffalo. Niagara River has some excellent fishing but most of it is north of the gorge. Lake Erie is excellent if you have a boat (same with Ontario & Chautauqua).

Old 12-12-2011, 11:19 AM

252 posts, read 650,905 times
I will second genoobie's recommendation of living in Buffalo. Your money will go a lot farther, and since you both work at restaurants, it makes sense to be in the middle of the greatest concentration of restaurants in the region.

I don't fish, but I get the newsletter from Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper, and I just wanted to suggest that if you plan to eat your catch, make sure to look up the current recommendations for fish consumption for the area they were caught. For example, for the Niagara River, I believe the recommendation is that women of childbearing age not eat any fish from the river, and men only one serving per month. I think if you go southwest ("uplake") you get into cleaner waters, but heavy industry has left a legacy on everything from about Hamburg to the edge of Lake Ontario.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:31 PM

83 posts, read 171,463 times
South Buffalo. It's cheap, safe, and there are a lot of restaurants around where you can work.

Don't listen to the Buffalo haters, they're all filled with twisted logic and paranoia. There is also a lot of fishing nearby on the Buffalo Creek and Buffalo River.

Oh yeah, and it's a working-class liberal area.

I live in the area and it's a nice place to live.

Any questions you have feel free to respond here or send me a direct message. I would be happy to respond with thoughtful, informative answers not ones that talk about how crime is rampant anywhere but in the exurbs.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:40 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,873,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingthe516 View Post
Hi everyone! My husband and I will be moving back to Long Island in May to live with my cousin until we get situated, get our residency, and save up money to live on our own. Since the island is so expensive we are looking to move upstate and I'm really liking what I see of Tonawanda but not sure if it would be a good fit for us since I am unfamiliar with the area. I'm wondering if you could help us.

About Us:
Early 20s college kids
Not interested in clubs
Liberal
Work at restaurants
Husband is obsessed with fishing

What's Important:
SAFE area where I won't be worried about crime
Community college nearby
Restaurants and shops nearby for work
Not far from grocery markets
Rent no more than $850.00 a month
Lakes nearby for my husband to fish.

If Tonawanda doesn't look like somewhere we would be able to move to, can you suggest other towns in the Buffalo area that might be more suitable for us?

I hope you can help us. Thank you in advanced.
-Lisa
Don't go back to Long Island, with the high cost of living you will be enternally broke! Take it from someone who would love to get out of Long Island!

The Elmwood Village in Buffalo, North Buffalo or Kenmore would be a good fit. Also, the Village of Hamburg or East Aurora would also be a good fit.

You will be able to actually afford a half-way decent lifestyle in the Buffalo area. I would definitely do it!

Old 12-12-2011, 05:36 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,223,505 times
Are you referring to the city of tonawanda, or the town? Both have some really good safe areas, 850 for rent should be plenty for just about anything either place has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area