Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:14 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times

Advertisements

I would recommend since your going to be a grad student and working at roswell that you might want to live on a bus/metro rail line. When I lived in Buffalo I used to ride 2 buses for school. Honestly, I'd trade in my car key's for a bus pass. Charlotte Traffic is a nightmare.

Most people like wegmans, I miss them here in the south. We always visit and make a stop there.

Good Luck with your journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:54 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
The West Side of Buffalo, thoughly largely Hispanic, has a couple of small Asian groceries (predominantly Thai and Vietnamese). A good one there is called Phu Thai, on Connecticut. This section is adjacent to the Elmwood/Allentown corridor, but don't walk there. As a previous poster said, the area can be sketchy.

Most of the metro's Asian markets are located between the U of Buffalo's two campuses (the "main" campus on the northeastern edge of the city, and the suburban campus in Amherst). You'll find several places in this in-between zone, especially on Niagara Falls Blvd and Sheridan Drive. There's a large Asian market (mostly Chinese) on Sheridan near the Transitown Plaza, and Super Bazaar (Indian) is on Sheridan. Sung's (Chinese) is on NFB. There are several others, such as a Korean market in a strip mall on Millersport Highway.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:09 PM

16 posts, read 161,303 times
quijote, thanks so much for the very helpful information!!

Old 05-20-2007, 02:25 PM

103 posts, read 653,880 times
There was more information concerning the downtown market in Discover Everything Buffalo today-

May 24 - Nov 1 - Downtown Country Market 8am-2:30 pm every Tuesday and Thursday, Main Street

http://www.buffaloplace.com

Old 06-08-2007, 12:11 AM

16 posts, read 161,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamsx View Post
There was more information concerning the downtown market in Discover Everything Buffalo today-

May 24 - Nov 1 - Downtown Country Market 8am-2:30 pm every Tuesday and Thursday, Main Street

Buffalo Place Inc. :: Downtown Buffalo's Premier Downtown Organization
Thanks! That was a very useful link!

Old 06-11-2007, 01:28 PM

53 posts, read 332,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Funky View Post
Move right into East Delevan
Tell me about this area. Is it really bad?

Old 06-11-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hungry_wanderer View Post
Tell me about this area. Is it really bad?

Yes. You really do not want to move east of Main Street.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:14 PM

53 posts, read 332,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamsx View Post
Yes. You really do not want to move east of Main Street.
Thanks for the information. If one found themselves in Buffalo with some time to kill in the daylight hours, would this area be okay to roam around in? I'm going to Buffalo in the coming weeks. I'm travelling there with a friend who's there on business for a couple of days. I plan on touring Buffalo on foot and car and I'm wondering what spots of Buffalo are no-go areas. Doesn't the area east of main encompass a massive area? Is all of it off limits? Even during the day?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hungry_wanderer View Post
Thanks for the information. If one found themselves in Buffalo with some time to kill in the daylight hours, would this area be okay to roam around in? I'm going to Buffalo in the coming weeks. I'm travelling there with a friend who's there on business for a couple of days. I plan on touring Buffalo on foot and car and I'm wondering what spots of Buffalo are no-go areas. Doesn't the area east of main encompass a massive area? Is all of it off limits? Even during the day?

Any and all advice is appreciated.
Yes, east of Main street is a massive area. The housing that was built in much of the east side was cheaply built and never meant to last. Consequently, it hasn't. So, about 20 years ago much of the east side started to turn. There are still some lovely east side neighborhoods, and some are making a recovery - those are few and far between.

If you are touring Buffalo and head down to the Broadway market, expect to drive and not walk around later. If you visit the Science Museum, you will be parking in the lot. The University district is east of main street and fine.

If you are walking Buffalo, take the time to walk Delaware Ave and look at the mansions. They are hard to appreciate from a car and absolutely wonderful when you are walking. Many parts of Allentown, Linwood Ave, Richmond Ave, offer beautifully restored homes. If you are visiting the park system, Delaware Park is the crown jewel. The zoo is located in the Park too.

If you go downtown, head over to the waterfront by Shanghai Reds. You can walk down the pier and the view is outstanding. The Naval Park is located next door. You can get fairly close to the dug out Erie Canal Harbor. I haven't been down to see it in years, but it is is supposed to be coming along nicely.

Here's a link to Historic landmarks that might help your tour (http://www.landmark-niagara.org/ch/land.html - broken link)

As goofy as it sounds, you may want to take a trip through Forest Lawn Cemetery. AFAIK they are only doing every other week tours in conjunction with the Buffalo Historical Museum this year, but you could see quite a bit on your own.

If you would like restaurant recommendations there are a plethora of great restaurants downtown. And don't forget to stop at Anchor Bar at least once for wings.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:58 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,439 times
eh.. i wouldnt WALK around over there.. but driving through on the mains roads is generally ok, day or night. Buffalo isn't Detroit or D.C. or L.A. or whatever.. but I mean just keep in mind it IS the ghetto. Buffalo, and even the nicer surrounding suburbs - the region is economically depressed. And the East side is the poorest part of Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area