Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 02:40 PM

231 posts, read 626,549 times

Advertisements

Hi every one. I think I've posted this question before but I came accross the following article Buffalo White Supremacist Guilty of Burning Cross

How safe is it in Buffalo for an interacial couple? I'm white and my g/f is black. Keep in mind that we'll probably out-and-about at night as well.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:10 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacques View Post
Hi every one. I think I've posted this question before but I came accross the following article Buffalo White Supremacist Guilty of Burning Cross

How safe is it in Buffalo for an interacial couple? I'm white and my g/f is black. Keep in mind that we'll probably out-and-about at night as well.
That's relatively old news. Yes, there have been some tense times in Buffalo in terms of race, but I believe that for the most part, you will be fine.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:15 PM

53 posts, read 157,800 times
Quote:

I wouldn't worry too much about the cross burning idiot. Some in the African American community may frown upon your relationship. A white man was dating a black woman and was beaten to a pulp in Buffalo in August of 2009. It wasn't cross burners who beat the man with concrete. It was African Americans.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/769298.html (broken link)

Beating of man, 18, probed as hate crime

Victim sufferssevere head injury

By Gene Warner and T. J. Pignataro
NEWS STAFF REPORTERS
August 20, 2009, 6:57 AM /
An 18-year-old man was severely beaten with a piece of concrete late Tuesday night, in an assault that’s being investigated by Buffalo police as a possible hate crime.

Moderator cut: Post original content only. Rephrase short articles; post links for long ones.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-15-2009 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted materials

Old 11-15-2009, 04:38 PM

231 posts, read 626,549 times
Hi Golden...I came accross that article as well. I was trying to decide if that was more of a fluke - that it namely had to do with the issues dealing with that specific situation..or if it was a sign of racial tenion in Bflo. '

As the econmy gets worse so do tentions are cross the board, across the county. We all know there is racism in every state and these things happen....bla bla bla....

But let me put it this way...I would to live a city were there are well-off business professional black girls for my g/f and future children to look to. I don't like living in a city were thats a rarety.

looking at the numbers there seems to be this great devide in bflo. Your city seems very segrated which I think can be an exposion waiting to happen.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:07 PM

The cross burning was the fluke, perpetrated by ONE lone loser. A dozen African Americans beating up a white man for dating a black woman was more than a "specific situation". It was a racial hate crime.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldinbuffalo View Post
The cross burning was the fluke, perpetrated by ONE lone loser. A dozen African Americans beating up a white man for dating a black woman was more than a "specific situation". It was a racial hate crime.
There have been other incidents as well: Buffalo, N.Y., activists rally against KKK racism Have there been other incidents like the beating in the area recently?

So, it might not be a "fluke", but is just a rare occurrence. Again, I think you will be fine ajacques, as I believe this is the except to the rule in the area, for the most part.

Also, there are some professional Black folks in the area. I think it depends on where you look though.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:03 PM

Father wants son's beating treated as a hate crime - CNN.com

This story is a little more current than the year 2005.

A pretty black girl dating a white boy in the inner city of Buffalo in the Summer of 2009. The white boy gets beaten to a pulp by 10 to 12 black teens for doing so. This would make a great movie!

NOTE: Make sure you click picture number TWO in the link above for what he looked like after the beating and tell me how this compares to a cross burning?

"If this was a black guy who was beaten by a group of white guys for dating a white girl, people would be up in arms," he said. "There's a double standard."

Old 11-15-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Father wants son's beating treated as a hate crime - CNN.com

A little more current than the year 2005. A pretty black girl dating a white boy in the inner city of Buffalo in the Summer of 2009. The white boy gets beaten to a pulp by 10 to 12 black teens for doing so. This would make a great movie!

NOTE: Make sure you click picture number TWO for what he looked like in the hospital and tell me how this compares to a cross burning?
I saw the story back when it happened and that was a darn shame. 2005 was only 4 years ago and there was more than a cross burning in that neighborhood.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Take a walk down Genesee Street holding your black girlfriends hand, preferably at night. That would be a good way to test if Buffalo is a racially tolerent city.

Then do the same thing on Abbott Road in Irish (white) South Buffalo.

A great experiment to see which neighborhood is more tolerant of interracial relationships.

Just a suggestion.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Take a walk down Genesee Street holding your black girlfriends hand, preferably at night. That would be a good way to test if Buffalo is a racially tolerent city.

Then do the same thing on Abbott Road in Irish (white) South Buffalo.

A great experiment to see which neighborhood is more tolerant of interracial relationships.

Just a suggestion.
Sure, from the looks of it, both might not be good depending on who you are. Also, what was ironic is that a Black minister seemed to be the only one to reach out to the kid publicly and in a civil way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area