Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,194 times

Advertisements

HEY EVERYONE...I HAVE REALLY BEEN WANTING TO MOVE TO THE AREA...I AM CURRENTLY IN SO. CAL...I KNOW PEOPLE LIKE ROCHESTER BETTER, BUT I BASICALLY WANT A HISTORIC DOWNTOWN FEEL, WHERE I CAN WORK CLOSE TO WHERE I LIVE, SO I CAN BE DRIVING IN THE SNOW LESS...SOMETHING THAT WOULD MIMICK NYC...WITH SKYLINES AND POSSIBLY WATER VIEWS...IN AN AFFORDABLE PRICE RANGE ($600-800/1BD), AND A SAFE AREA (LIKE ROC-I HEAR THAT IS REALLY SAFE)...MY FRIENDS ARE FROM ROCHESTER, SO ARE SOMEWHAT PARTIAL, BUT NEVER LIVED IN THE DT AREA...THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR ANY INFORMATION YOU COULD PROVIDE...I REALLY WANT TO GET GOING B4 THE END OF THE YEAR ON TRANSFERRING UP THERE...SEE YOU THEN!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 07:11 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times
No. Not really.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:23 AM

103 posts, read 653,880 times
It depends what you are looking for - historical on the water is not something doable in downtown Buffalo. There are a lot of condos and townhouses on the water that are new - 20 years old. These are easily obtainable for $200-$500K. The more you pay, the better the amenities, views and space (of course).

This is the local mls http://www.buffaloniagarahomes.com

Historical throughout Allentown which is the neighborhood bordering downtown is easily doable. There are many loft conversions in downtown Buffalo in historic buildings- some to condos in historical buildings. A google search should lead to the information. Be aware that many have waiting lists. Some are complete gut jobs though and the only historic value will be in the facade.

As far as safe - the Buffalo area is quite safe. Like any city (town, rural community) it has crime. Your best bet would be to buy west of main street.

Buffalo definitely does not have a NYC skyline. If you expect that, you will be disappointed. As far as snow - you will learn to drive in it. The best advice is to go slower then you normally would drive. Downtown will get snow, however it is 15 miles away from the snowbelt making the accumulations far less than expected.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:45 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,055 times
Did you get your place?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:51 AM

504 posts, read 1,492,865 times
The petty competition between Buffalo and Rochester is asinine. There's not another more similar city in the world to Buffalo than Rachaha. They're roughly comparable in safety, and both have their very rough spots that the bourgeois avoid. Just like most white people in Buffalo couldn't find a city address east of Main St, I suspect Aerdnalynn's friends in Rochester wouldn't be able to locate any place north of University Ave without a GPS. The cultural amenities available in both cities are virtually identical (although Rochester is slightly better for cinephiles, Buffalo is better for live theatre).

To answer your question, you're not going to find anything that even mimicks an NYC "DT" lifestyle in Rochester or Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area