Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 10,135 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Buffalo, and I would like to hear from people who live there what the music/art scene is like in the area. I've been reading a lot of good things about Buffalo and it's growing arts community- every city has its own temperament.
I am going to take some classes to get a second degree there, hopefully also getting involved in some music and showing some art. I enjoy experimenting, in every sense, is there cutting-edge stuff happening?

I'm really not a fan of hardcore/metal music or community, that scene in general, is that a large part of the Buffalo music world? There seem to be a lot of great acts coming through Toronto, which would be great to have access to. I'm more interested in the small club/experimental music, and art collectives in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 02:56 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Here's information for you:
Buffalo Art Galleries, Albright Knox Art Gallery and More for the Art Enthusiast >> Wright Now In Buffalo
Artvoice: Buffalo's #1 Newsweekly
arts | WNYmedia.net
http://www.buffaloathome.com/musicscene.aspx
Nietzsche's -- Links to Buffalo's Music Scene
AmericanStyle - Top 25 Arts Destinations : Buffalo, N.Y. (http://www.americancraft.com/americanstyle/issue61/feature3/buffalo.html - broken link)

Old 12-14-2009, 06:09 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,595 times
Buffalo's music and art scene is reasonably impressive. I am careful not to oversell it, as many Buffalonians do, because I feel that's setting up newcomers for disappointment. At the same time, I know there are people who are really devoted to the music and art scene in Buffalo, so I guess it just depends who you ask. Buffalo is home to some wonderful experimental musicians from years past, like Mercury Rev and Tony Conrad (Conrad still lives in Buffalo and teaches experimental film at UB) but they don't perform much anymore and are not widely known even around here.

One think about Buffalo is that I think getting connected to other artists and interesting people is easier than in a larger city, because everybody pretty much knows everybody else. The university community at UB is kind of a center (because it brings people in from other states) so I hope that that's the school you are considering. That's not to say stuff goes on at UB's Amherst campus: Music and art shows pretty much all take place in the city of Buffalo. No big deal if you're going to a different school--it's easy to get involved if you hang around Buffalo's art galleries and venues.

Here are some links for you to look at, might give you a taste of what's going on:

SOUNDLAB | Dedicated to the Music, Media & Performance of Big Orbit Gallery
Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center :: Current & Upcoming
college street gallery
Sugar City
Birdhouse Collective on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Squeaky Wheel

Larger galleries:
CEPA Gallery : the Art of Photography
Albright-Knox Art Gallery
YOUR NEW BURCHFIELD PENNEY ART CENTER

Articles about yearly events that you may be interested to read more about (the descriptions on Buffalo Rising sound kind of stupid, but I think these events are fun):
Buffalo Rising | Artists & Models #20: Nocturminal
Art + Beer = PEEPSHOW 2009 | Entertainment | Buffalo Rising
Buffalo Infringement Festival

The Allentown Art Festival and Elmwood Art Festival are well-regarded as well but are not very "cutting-edge" (depending on your definition). They should be linked, anyway:
Allentown Art Festival
Elmwood Avenue Festival of the Arts

There's also plenty of less advertised stuff going on in Allentown all the time, at places like Staples and Nietzches (bars) and Rust Belt Books (a bookstore).

Last edited by mycrows; 12-14-2009 at 06:46 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 06:47 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,595 times
P.S. that post shouldn't be taken as comprehensive. I've been partially tuned out to this kind of stuff for awhile, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone else on this forum has a more detailed response to your question. But I hope what I posted gives you a hint.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:37 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpocket View Post
I am considering moving to Buffalo, and I would like to hear from people who live there what the music/art scene is like in the area. I've been reading a lot of good things about Buffalo and it's growing arts community- every city has its own temperament.
I am going to take some classes to get a second degree there, hopefully also getting involved in some music and showing some art. I enjoy experimenting, in every sense, is there cutting-edge stuff happening?

I'm really not a fan of hardcore/metal music or community, that scene in general, is that a large part of the Buffalo music world? There seem to be a lot of great acts coming through Toronto, which would be great to have access to. I'm more interested in the small club/experimental music, and art collectives in the city.
Have you considered Nashville? I'ts no longer country western..incredible music scene- they are all coming down from NYC... it's all night free concerts downtown - the East side of Nashville is a little baby version of Greenwich Village in the early days..check it out...rents are cheap and the weather is better...hipster magnet writ large

Old 12-15-2009, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 10,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Have you considered Nashville? I'ts no longer country western..incredible music scene- they are all coming down from NYC... it's all night free concerts downtown - the East side of Nashville is a little baby version of Greenwich Village in the early days..check it out...rents are cheap and the weather is better...hipster magnet writ large
I'm a NY resident, tuition costs are a big factor for me. I'll have to add it to my list of check out spots though. Let's avoid the H word in this thread please, I'm interested in art, not commercial fashion

Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 PM

414 posts, read 1,505,423 times
Mycrows nailed it

Old 12-17-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpocket View Post
I'm a NY resident, tuition costs are a big factor for me. I'll have to add it to my list of check out spots though. Let's avoid the H word in this thread please, I'm interested in art, not commercial fashion
where are you living now in NYS?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 11,134 times
Recently I found the art scene to be very CHARITIBLE.

wonderful, really

I was at a fundraiser done for Buffalo City Mission, in conjunction with the release of a new Buffalo area arts magazine called Nomad. There was great music from Free Henri! and others. And local art donated for the auction/fundraiser.

This is what happened:

.:NOMAD:. [art + word from the buffalo herd]

I'm kind of new to the scene as well, so I'm sure there have been other great events like this around town, but this was "a first" for me. It really opened my eyes to the community.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:13 PM

that link didn't work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area