Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:50 AM

3 posts, read 6,069 times

Advertisements

Hey there, sorry if this info is already available. I couldn't find the info I need through the search function.

Anywho, simple question. I was planning on going to a concert at the Town Ballroom, but I need to get to the Greyhound bus terminal after the show. It's a little less than a mile so I wouldn't mind walking in that respect (it's mostly along Ellicott St), but I'd be by myself and I'm a 19 y/o female, so I'd only feel comfortable walking if it were a well-lit, safe area at night (seeing as the concert might get out past midnight).

If not, are there any taxi companies that won't screw me out of too much money? Much appreciation for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:35 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,974 times
Take a taxi, always better to be safe.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:26 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,746 times
Personally, I would just walk it, but I can understand why you'd be uncomfortable. It'd definitely be better if you were with a friend.

Probably best to take a cab. I would expect there'd be a few waiting at the corner of Tupper St and Main when the concert lets out.

Another option is to take the Metro Rail down Main St, which is free. The last inbound train leaves the Theater Station at 12:42am every night except Sunday. It runs down Main St and you can get off at Division St, about two blocks from the bus terminal. The Theater Station stop is right in front of the Town Ballroom (but you have to cross the tracks to go southbound). There is a police station on the corner of Main and Tupper, so it should be all right to wait there.

If you do decide to walk, I'd suggest walking down Main St, not Ellicott. There should be a reasonable amount of foot traffic on Main, at least down to Huron or so. Ellicott is pretty deserted, even during the day.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:31 PM

By the way, are you planning to take a bus to Ithaca? Just curious. I didn't know they departed so late at night.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,069 times
No I'm actually traveling somewhere else.

Thanks for all the info, I think I might take the rail. I always feel more secure on trains for some reason. But I'm confused? How is it free? How do they make money that way?

If I miss the rail for some reason, I'll just call a taxi, it's less than a mile so not too pricey.

thanks again

edit: just kidding, there's a free-zone, got it

Last edited by I'll_brb; 01-14-2010 at 07:45 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 01:28 PM

414 posts, read 1,505,498 times
the surface stops are free, once it goes underground you pay. The greyhound station is only a few blocks from the concert venue. You should be fine walking, nobody is downtown at night. even the criminal element finds little reason to go downtown

Old 01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,301 times
Are you guys crazy?

I'm a 27 year old male. About 3 years ago, I had my truck break down, and I had to take a trip to Ohio. I decided to take that greyhound bus.

It was terribly ghetto, and a very bad experience. The buffalo station is absolutely terrible. Most people there look borderline homeless or like transients. I don't even like to walk around that area during the day let alone at night.

It was very eye opening, and a true culture shock for me. The bus to Ohio actually stopped near a Prison, and picked up inmates getting out of jail, wearing plain state issued jumpsuits. It was something out of a bad TV drama.

There was a guy on the bus with a continuous bloody nose. He sat in the seat the entire trip with his head held back, and blood just gushing out of his nose, onto several tissues that he had all over his lap.

Going through the college towns in New York was not a problem, it was mostly college kids getting on and off. I actually had a girl from one of the colleges sit next to me, and we talked all the way back to buffalo. She then confessed that she was glad to sit next to me, because everyone else on the bus looked very "scary".

I can't make this stuff up!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
Are you guys crazy?
Well, I do know what Greyhound is like. It's not ideal, but I used to take it from time to time to get between Buffalo and Rochester spur of the moment, and one time all the way to Chicago. I'd prefer Amtrak or Megabus, but sometimes Greyhound is more convenient for when/where you want to go.

I figured the OP was familiar with the "Greyhound experience," since she was planning on taking it, so I just responded to her question about the walk to the station. I don't agree that the Buffalo bus terminal or the area around it is such a frightening place.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'll_brb View Post
Thanks for all the info, I think I might take the rail. I always feel more secure on trains for some reason. But I'm confused? How is it free? How do they make money that way?
They definitely don't make any money, even in the areas they charge fares.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:00 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,301 times
Every time I have taken a look at the Amtrak website, the price is usually Double what it costs to take a airplane, and it takes even longer to travel by train then by car.

If it weren't for the government backing them, the rails would be long gone.

If they could get it cheaper than airfare, more people would take amtrak, but it isn't even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area