Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 01:05 PM

122 posts, read 352,389 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I are moving back to the Buffalo region after being away for about 10 years. Our main reasons for the move are job related, family, and the cost of housing is much better in the area compared to Maryland.

Since it has been 10 years, I am wondering if anyone could share their opinions on the following towns we are considering moving to:

Amherst/Williamsville
Clarence
Lockport

The topics of interest for me are: taxes, schools (we have a child), amount of snow, crime/safeness, shopping (such as a Walmart or Target), traffic.

I am not very familiar at all with Lockport and am interested in learning more about this area.

I admit that there are alot of questions that I have and appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,962 times
Lots of threads if you want to read people's personal experiences in those areas, just use the search function. I can answer a couple of your questions, though.

The taxes for those areas break down like this (highest tax rate to lowest tax rate) -
1. City of Lockport
2. Village of Williamsville
3. Town of Amherst, Town of Lockport
4. Town of Clarence

Home prices break down like this (highest to lowest)
1. Clarence
2. Williamsville
3. Amherst
4. Lockport

"Crime" is probably the highest in Lockport, but it's hardly an issue in the city of Lockport and it's pretty much nonexistent in the town. Schools are good in all those places. Since you're only looking at areas north of Buffalo, snowfall should be pretty consistent throughout all of them. Most you'd have to drive to get to a Wal Mart or Target from any of those places is 20 minutes. Hope that helps.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:01 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,962 times
Oh, and traffic is pretty much a non-issue. It can get congested on the main roads in Williamsville, Clarence and Amherst (like Niagara Falls Blvd, Sheridan Rd, Main St and Transit Rd) but nothing too bad and the highways are almost always fine.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:32 AM

122 posts, read 352,389 times
Thank you for that helpful response!

Old 03-04-2010, 01:48 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I'd go so far as to say that whatever you remember from 10 years ago is more or less how things are these days. Not much has really changed or grown significantly.

Areas like Lockport and Clarence have a little more of a rural feel as they are just outside the real population center of the metro area. Williamsville is a nice village with an older suburban feel. Amherst is very broad and has plenty of nice areas that differ a lot.

As for your main topics, I would agree that all these areas do not differ enough in any of them to make one a deciding factor over the other.

I would suggest coming back and driving around all these areas and get a feel for them. Traffic is a non issue around here, and any of the suburbs have easy access to things like shopping. Any of those locations will be within 5 minutes of shopping for any basics (wal marts, grocery stores, etc).

Good luck with the move!

Old 03-10-2010, 02:42 PM

15 posts, read 47,119 times
If you like walkable areas, but still very safe............the Village of Kenmore. Very affordable comparied to the others.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:43 PM

42 posts, read 73,457 times
My wife and I are trying to move up to Kenmore. She is originally from there. We will start off in Kenmore because of how close it is to the city, how affordable it is and its very walkable. We don't have that where we currently live in Maryland! Did I mention we're bring a 22 month old and one that is 21 weeks in the oven!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area