Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 11:32 AM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
If your fiance is from St Catherins, then Lewiston is definitely the place to go. It's only 15 minutes from St Catherines (if the bridge is good), it receives much less snow than Buffalo does (about half to 2/3rds of what Buffalo receives according to the NWS). Lewiston has almost no crime, especially compared to Buffalo. There are many great free Summer concerts at Artpark that you could walk to. Plus many for pay concerts and events at Artpark. Many restaurants and shops plus it's got great geography - it's not flat!

Also it's only an hours drive from Toronto and a half hour from Downtown Buffalo. Lewisotn is far, far more upscale than the poverty stricken Allentown or the Elmwood Village. Elmwood is not nearly as poor as Allentown but they are the type of community that Price Rite sets up shop in. You won't see an Aldi or Save A Lot in the Village of Lewiston.

For a Canadian, Lewiston is as close to the Canadian feeling of a clean, safe, prosperous community feeling as you will find in WNY.
Are you serious?

Again, if he doesn't want the city, then maybe Kenmore is a happy medium in terms of not being in the city of Buffalo, but being close to the action there. It's not like St. Catherines is far from Buffalo anyway.

Also, what about Lockport as an option? If you don't mind Niagara Falls, these neighborhoods might work too: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=167895

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=911966

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-09-2010 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 02:29 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,528,152 times
Lewiston isnt even really suburban its closer to rural so if you are on the fence regarding suburban areas I wouldn't even think about Lewiston. Thats not to say Lewiston isn't a nice & safe town because it is but based on your post I dont think it would be what you are looking for. Elmwood, Allentown, Kenmore & Amherst would definitely be better fits for what you seem to be looking for.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:05 PM

25 posts, read 52,050 times
As a student at Niagara University I know about Lewiston. It is a very safe, quaint town, that is ideal for families, especially. Nice little village with many small, local restaurants and stores. It is almost in complete contrast to the city of Niagara Falls, which borders Lewiston to the south (but strangely, it seems that all of Niagara Falls' problems stop at the city line). Lewiston is right on the Niagara River and is close to the Niagara gorge...as a result summers here are very peaceful and nice. However, I feel it's also somewhat isolated and definitely prefer the active city life in Buffalo (such as in Elmwood Village, Allentown, Chippewa, Hertel Ave., Parkside area). Even if you're looking for suburbs, I feel that the Northtowns (Amherst, Williamsville, Clarence) offer great homes and schools, and also have much more to do than Lewiston (especially Amherst which is completely developed). Hamburg, Orchard Park, Lancaster, and East Aurora are also very nice.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 PM

205 posts, read 476,982 times
Quote:
Lewisotn is far, far more upscale than the poverty stricken Allentown or the Elmwood Village. Elmwood is not nearly as poor as Allentown but they are the type of community that Price Rite sets up shop in. You won't see an Aldi or Save A Lot in the Village of Lewiston.
What the........

Old 03-10-2010, 11:54 AM

744 posts, read 1,758,600 times
Here is a demographic and weather comparison for Lewiston, vs the Allentown section of Buffalo. I used the zip code for Nietzsche's which is in the heart of Allentown.

If you are an outdoors person you might want to look at the total precipitation line.

If you are concerned about property values and the future you might want to look at the population trends.

If you are looking to be surrounded by a more educated community it is interesting to note too, that even though Leiston has a lower population it has a much higher percentage (and total as well) of college and post college graduates.

It really boils down to the type of lifestyle you choose to live. You can use the data to answer specific questions, but you really need to spend some time in thcommunity you are considering to determine if it "FEELS RIGHT" for you.

Good luck - it sounds like an exciting time in your life no matter where you choose to settle.

Moving.com: Compare Two Cities

Last edited by donbuy; 03-10-2010 at 12:02 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 12:32 PM

504 posts, read 1,485,021 times
There's really no need to turn this thread into a comparison of Allentown and Lewiston, as they're very different places and there are any number of threads on this forum already praising Allentown.

But donbuy's post is misleading. 14201 includes the entire area between Elmwood Ave, Genesee St (yes all the way downtown) the 190 and Porter Ave. Allentown ends on the west at Cottage, Plymouth and Pennsylvania Streets, so the demographic figures of 14201 are heavily shaded by the still impoverished Lower West Side. Looking at 14201 also leaves out one of the most desirable areas of Allentown, which is between Elmwood and Main (14202). If you look at the actual neighborhood of Allentown on, say, Zillow.com, you'll see that single family homes regularly go for 200k, 300k and even 400k a piece. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the median home price is higher in Allentown than it is Lewiston (though of course the comparison is apples to oranges, because the homes in Allentown are generally larger and more elegant). As far as home value trends, anyone who bought into Allentown 15 or 20 years ago could make a bundle today.

Bottom line, it's obvious that many people of means freely choose to live in Allentown over Lewiston (and vice versa) and anyone who tries to tell you different is mistaken.

Oh, and not that it matters, but the dread Price Rite is not even in Allentown, as it's above North Ave. That part of Elmwood Village is fine as well.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
There's really no need to turn this thread into a comparison of Allentown and Lewiston, as they're very different places and there are any number of threads on this forum already praising Allentown.

But donbuy's post is misleading. 14201 includes the entire area between Elmwood Ave, Genesee St (yes all the way downtown) the 190 and Porter Ave. Allentown ends on the west at Cottage, Plymouth and Pennsylvania Streets, so the demographic figures of 14201 are heavily shaded by the still impoverished Lower West Side. Looking at 14201 also leaves out one of the most desirable areas of Allentown, which is between Elmwood and Main (14202). If you look at the actual neighborhood of Allentown on, say, Zillow.com, you'll see that single family homes regularly go for 200k, 300k and even 400k a piece. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the median home price is higher in Allentown than it is Lewiston (though of course the comparison is apples to oranges, because the homes in Allentown are generally larger and more elegant). As far as home value trends, anyone who bought into Allentown 15 or 20 years ago could make a bundle today.

Bottom line, it's obvious that many people of means freely choose to live in Allentown over Lewiston (and vice versa) and anyone who tries to tell you different is mistaken.

Oh, and not that it matters, but the dread Price Rite is not even in Allentown, as it's above North Ave. That part of Elmwood Village is fine as well.
I think if you look back at my post you will see that I clearly said that Price Rite was in the Elmwood neighborhood.

You can easily change the zip codes on the link I posted to compare any 2 comminities. Of course 14202 is not an Allentown zip code at all. 14202 includes the whole waterfront village of upscale condo's separated from Allentown by expressways, income and education. It also includes a good portion of the downtown area such as the condo;s in the Avant.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:41 PM

504 posts, read 1,485,021 times
Quote:
I think if you look back at my post you will see that I clearly said that Price Rite was in the Elmwood neighborhood.
My bad. I mostly take issue with the idea that the presence of a discount grocery indicates a questionable neighborhood. Pretty much every Buffalo suburb has an Aldi (Amherst, Williamsville, Kenmore, etc) and are you going to tell me people from Lewiston don't go down to the Wal-Mart SuperCenter to save a little money? Allentown and Elmwood residents can and do shop at Wegmans or the Lexington Co-Op, both of which for what it's worth are much nicer and more upscale than anything in Lewiston.

Quote:
Of course 14202 is not an Allentown zip code at all.
Really? Actually, about half of Allentown is in 14202. But you're right, I don't mean to say looking at 14202 will give you a better picture of Allentown demographics. I said looking at 14201 was misleading. The moving.com program isn't very useful in a city like Buffalo where zip codes encompass multiple, very different communities. You'll have to zero in on the actual neighborhood of Allentown if you want to get a sense of it, and you can do that with sites like City-Data or Zillow.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:54 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
My bad. I mostly take issue with the idea that the presence of a discount grocery indicates a questionable neighborhood. Pretty much every Buffalo suburb has an Aldi (Amherst, Williamsville, Kenmore, etc) and are you going to tell me people from Lewiston don't go down to the Wal-Mart SuperCenter to save a little money? Allentown and Elmwood residents can and do shop at Wegmans or the Lexington Co-Op, both of which for what it's worth are much nicer and more upscale than anything in Lewiston.

Really? Actually, about half of Allentown is in 14202. But you're right, I don't mean to say looking at 14202 will give you a better picture of Allentown demographics. I said looking at 14201 was misleading. The moving.com program isn't very useful in a city like Buffalo where zip codes encompass multiple, very different communities. You'll have to zero in on the actual neighborhood of Allentown if you want to get a sense of it, and you can do that with sites like City-Data or Zillow.
This seems to be perfect: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...uffalo-NY.html

Middle Left - Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries

Old 03-10-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Seems like it would be very useful if you are moving into the geographic center of a zip code. Of coulse you could enter two adjacent zip codes to get a better feel for the overall neighborhood.

No matter where they choose there are very few places with more fun opportunities than WNY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area