Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 03:54 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,608,551 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Can you guys name/recommend some state parks that have nice lakes, and sunset photo ops? Besides Letchworth are there any other waterfalls there?

What are the rules there as far as sunset/sunrise in these parks? are ppl allowed to watch or not?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 04:54 PM

243 posts, read 220,693 times
I live near evangola state park, on lake erie. Good sunset view over lake....they have campgrounds too.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:31 PM

719 posts, read 1,552,999 times
You can snap some gorgeous sunsets in Allegany State Park at both Red House Lake and Quaker Lake. The entire park is a photo op honestly.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:41 PM

969 posts, read 2,072,170 times
Other parks... Fort Niagara, Lake Erie, Long Point (Chautauqua). The western edge of Allegany state park has good sunset views over the Allegheny Reservoir (take the Quaker lake exit from I86). For waterfalls, check Zoar Valley and Chautauqua Gorge... these are not parks but they are state land.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Are people allowed to watch? No, you must wear a blindfold or avert your eyes.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:44 AM

Thank you much!

I meant do the park rangers come to kick you out once the sun is set?

Here on one of our beaches they do that, and for example sometimes I might do a long exposure, keep the shutter open for 5 to 8 minutes, and that takes some time to process, so say the sun sets at 8pm, well, I have to wait for my camera to be done, so that's another 10+ minutes...I hope this helps.

I have a question about the Niagara Falls on the US side: we've only been on the Canadian side, and didn't have our kids with us, would the US side be impressive enough for a 10 yr old? what about a 5 year old? What is for kids to do there?

Another question...This one is a bit harder to describe: so I am also looking for a park that has trails maybe 10 feet wide, surrounded by tall trees, but where at sunset for example the sun aligns with the trail horizontally. Kind of like that Manhattanhenge but on a nice trail. I know, I know, tall order...I have this image in my head that is really cool, but it needs a certain park to accomplish; take a look at these images: https://500px.com/ElenaShumilova
Specifically this one:
https://500px.com/photo/109408929/-b...lova?from=user

So, I am looking to be to a place like this early in the AM, potentially having some fog too...

The other thing I am looking for is old barns...
On this map, could you name some little towns that have really cool old barns? maybe some with open fields? Please DM me if there are some I would love...I am fascinated with these old barns, I think they're awesome...Thank you much!
Attached Thumbnails
State Parks?-region-capture-6.png  

Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 AM

400 posts, read 575,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Hi there,

Can you guys name/recommend some state parks that have nice lakes, and sunset photo ops? Besides Letchworth are there any other waterfalls there?

What are the rules there as far as sunset/sunrise in these parks? are ppl allowed to watch or not?

Thank you!
Lake Erie State Park is my favorite for camping and just hanging around the beach watching the sunset and rising. The park is laid back and relaxed, you can hang around the beach unrestricted, never had a problem being there after dark. I have some really pretty pics of sunsets in the area.
Attached Thumbnails
State Parks?-dscn0437.jpg  

Last edited by gwgirl80; 07-27-2015 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: My picture did upload :)

Old 07-27-2015, 11:46 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
Lake Erie State Park is my favorite for camping and just hanging around the beach watching the sunset and rising. The park is laid back and relaxed, you can hang around the beach unrestricted, never had a problem being there after dark. I have some really pretty pics of sunsets in the area.
I was just going to post Lake Erie State Park, when I saw you did. Beautiful sunsets from the beach there and definitely a nice and relaxed park for camping.

Allegany was a good choice above too just for having great photo ops and things to do, but it may not be the best for shooting sunsets over a lake like Lake Erie or Evangola would be.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:57 AM

Thank you much!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:52 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Default Lake sunsets

Around Chautauqua Lake, Long Point has a nice view of the long "fetch" of the lake westward, so it's great for sunsets. I'm not sure how late the park is open, though, because they don't have camping there, just a marina.

There's lake access looking westward on Chautauqua Lake at Celoron that's both open to the public and free (the state parks charge fees to drive in). The park in "downtown" Celoron and the Little League field at Burtis Bay are both open all the time, as is the boat launch just down the road in Lakewood, because these cater to fishermen who often go out to fish before sunrise and come back after dark.

You can also get some great sunset shots at Stow at the old ferry landing (the Stow ferry still operates between Stow and Bemus Point on weekends in the summer), which is, again, public and free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area