Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:56 AM

42 posts, read 73,419 times

Advertisements

Rockyriver you are exactly in line with what we are trying to do as well. Kenmore is all of that. Not to mention they have parades and a great car show over the summer. They have a new medical building going up just as you enter Kenmore from the city too. I wish you luck and maybe we'll cross paths up there. I have 26 days before I have to be up there for the start of my job. Just in time for an awesome summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
Hey mycrows chill out. I was just saying if the OP found some undesirable parts of Williamsville he/she will definitely find undesirable parts of Kenmore. And yes Kenmore does border University Heights. Kenmore Ave ends at South Campus. Kenmore Ave/ Englewood is the border. For what it is worth I have lived in North Buffalo, Kenmore, University Heights, Elmwood Strip, Lancaster, Tonawanda, Cheektowaga and Getzville. Yes I clearly moved a lot. Each neighborhood has good and bad things about it. I said what I said about Kenmore because if someone is moving from out of town and everyone suggests Kenmore he should be aware that not all of Kenmore is nice and perhaps post on properties/rentals he looks at to avoid settling next to a frat house in University Heights. Does anyone consider the area between Elmwood and Military next to the "projects" a nice place to live? That's Kenmore too. I don't think it's a "stupid reason" not to move to an area.
Isn't Kenmore Ave. a long street in which the village of Kenmore touches some, but not all of?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:55 AM

744 posts, read 1,768,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyriver View Post
Someone posted the assumption that I had money because I was looking at private schools, but really not, it's just a priority for my family to send our kids to Catholic Schools. [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Sounds like I have some options to check out very soon![/SIZE]
Lockport has the largest most well rounded Catholic School within the diocese of Buffalo with close to 500 students.

DeSales Catholic School, Lockport, NY

Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Isn't Kenmore Ave. a long street in which the village of Kenmore touches some, but not all of?
Yes, the actual Village of Kenmore is only one square mile and does not come close to University Heights. It is centered around Delaware Avenue and Delaware Road. Though the areas along Kenmore Ave may have a Kenmore postal address they are really in the Town of Tonawanda and not in the Village of Kenmore.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:17 PM

23 posts, read 59,367 times
Thanks everyone, these all seem to be good areas to check out.
Does anyone have any thoughts on North Tonawanda? My work is near the Elliott Creek Park in Amherst and noticed this town adjacent. Gettin a little farther out of buffalo, but Good things or Bad? I saw an article out there ranking Tonawanda as a good town to raise childern? Does this town have anything I am looking for? I see the article also mentions Kenmore.
Best Places to Raise Your Kids: 2010: Best Place to Raise Your Kids: New York - BusinessWeek

Old 03-31-2010, 12:26 PM

NT - very stable population approximately 35K for the last 40 years or so, well regarded public schools, annoying number of 4-way stop signs. Commercial area downtown looks a bit too weathered for my tastes and the commercial strip area (Meadow Drive, I think it is) seems a bit unkempt, kind of a hodge podge look to it. The residential areas are mostly quite nice though and crime is virtually non existant.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:16 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
Yes, the actual Village of Kenmore is only one square mile and does not come close to University Heights. It is centered around Delaware Avenue and Delaware Road. Though the areas along Kenmore Ave may have a Kenmore postal address they are really in the Town of Tonawanda and not in the Village of Kenmore.
Correct, Kenmore's east border is around St Joe's, well before reaching where Englewood intersects Kenmore Ave by a dozen or more blocks. From Just before St Joe's to where Kenmore and Main intersect at UB, the northern side is Kenmore Ave, southern Buffalo.

I'd still consider Starin and Kenmore Ave a good neighborhood, and not University Heights, and that intersection is past the Kenmore line and into Tonawanda.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
From Just before St Joe's to where Kenmore and Main intersect at UB, the northern side is Kenmore Ave, southern Buffalo.

I think you may have meant the northern side of Kenmore Avenue is the Town of Tonawanda and the southern side is Buffalo.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:37 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyriver View Post
Yes, I lived in Rocky River, Ohio for 7 years before moving to Tucson. I really liked living there, 5 minute walk to lake Erie, 10 minute walk to the Metro Parks, great downtown with shopping, coffee shops, boutique stores and restaurants, summer concerts in the park, great recreation center, great library, only 10 minutes to downtown Cleveland. Small community (only 4 square miles) it was hard to leave that area and if I ever had to move back it would be Rocky River. I would like to find the equivalent in Buffalo. I also liked the University Circle/Cedar Hill/University Heights area of Cleveland also.
Gotcha. I guess North Tonawanda and City of Tonawanda are the closest thing we have to Rocky River, with its natural beauty and more laid back pace, but I don't think the retail or residential areas are as attractive as my memory of Rocky River's. NT does have concerts and a canal festival in the summer, which is a pretty good time.

Parkside in Buffalo really reminds me of Cedar Hill and Coventry in Cleveland, in that it's walkable, has good retail, has a lot of large homes on relatively large lots and is close to cultural attractions and green space (Delaware Park as well as Forest Lawn Cemetery, which is a great place to walk around like the large cemetery in Cleveland Heights). If you haven't visited there yet, I think you'll like it a lot. I wouldn't worry about crime spillover from the area east of Main St. The only crime I hear about from Parkside is little things like car break-ins, stolen bikes, etc.

donbuy's post about North Tonawanda is pretty good. I like NT a lot, but it's more like Lockport in that it feels like kind of a self-contained small town. If you want to be in the "walkable" areas of NT or Lockport (City of North Tonawanda or City of Lockport) you're going to pay extremely high taxes, as in higher than Kenmore, and much higher than Williamsville or Buffalo. But, real estate is cheaper out there, so it evens out in a sense. Actually, this forum has spent a lot of time debating that very question, so you'll have to make up your own mind.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:41 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,479 times
I don't know how many of you who post actually have lived in the area but are you really trying to say you can live on Kenmore Ave., your kids will attend Kenmore West high school and you will have a kenmore zip but that's not kenmore? Come on. Of course its Tonawanda too it's the village of Kenmore within the Town of Tonawanda. You do not see Tonawanda police going up Kenmore you see Kenmore police. Kenmore is actually a nice place to live I would never say its bad but it certainly isn't as nice as Williamsville. But back to the OP, you should check out the areas of North Tonawanda that border Amherst (try to stay away from the city of NT or city of Tonawanda). Check out Getzville, East Amherst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area