Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 AM

744 posts, read 1,768,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
However, if you want affordable housing and four seasons look into Pittsburgh..
Pittsburgh is great if you like cloudy and rainier summers. See Weather Sevice link Buffalo Summer Weather
Buffalo gets 30% more sunshine than Pittsbugh in the Summer (52%*1.30=67%) and Pittsburgh gets 23% more rain (8.69*1.23=10.70)

Quote:
I really think cost of living calculators grossly underestimate Western NY. .
Yes I am sure they must use a different basis for calculating the cost of living in Buffalo compared to the other 375 metros in the USA - that could be the only possible reason Buffalo would look less expensive than anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 05:16 PM

122 posts, read 352,225 times
Just curious--why are you not liking Georgia? I really miss Buffalo myself!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:43 PM

16 posts, read 22,652 times
Personally, it's a wide variety of factors....the heat and humidity, I miss winter, and let's just say my luck hasn't been the best since I moved down here.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Vex

125 posts, read 258,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
Yes I am sure they must use a different basis for calculating the cost of living in Buffalo compared to the other 375 metros in the USA - that could be the only possible reason Buffalo would look less expensive than anywhere else.
I'm saying that cost of living calculators are based on model that likely has its flaws. Likely, there is a hypothetical "basket" of goods. How is this basket constructed? Is is based on the national average of goods/energy consumed? If so, are there any biases inherent in this model that could understate the true cost of living in Buffalo?

If the cost of heating a home is calculated based on the national average of natural gas consumed times the price of gas in Buffalo, the calculated figure would understate the true cost in Buffalo; Buffalo having both a colder climate than the national average and an older, less energy efficient housing stock.

Furthermore, to what extent are housing prices (no doubt the largest item within the basket) skewed by the over 10,000 abandoned homes in Buffalo? Yeah you can buy a house on the East Side for < $10,000, but who would want to? Also, to what extent is the national average housing price skewed by outliers like NYC, LA & DC? Would representational faithfulness be better achieved by using the median national housing price?

Additionally, how are taxes and fees treated?

I'm sorry that I don't blindly trust any figure I read, especially when it feels bogus. There's no need to be snide about it.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,856,499 times
In this area as Realtors, we really don't do rentals, some do, but it's not as big as it is in the nyc area. Here you can own a home for the price of a rental, so most go with owning (unless bad credit or here for a short time)

I would recommend craigslist.org for a list of rentals. Most people aside from the East Amherst folks don't hire us as Realtors to do their rentals, and those are pricey!!

welcome to the area!!!!!!!!! great fun place

Old 06-23-2010, 07:17 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
I'm saying that cost of living calculators are based on model that likely has its flaws. Likely, there is a hypothetical "basket" of goods. How is this basket constructed? Is is based on the national average of goods/energy consumed? If so, are there any biases inherent in this model that could understate the true cost of living in Buffalo?

If the cost of heating a home is calculated based on the national average of natural gas consumed times the price of gas in Buffalo, the calculated figure would understate the true cost in Buffalo; Buffalo having both a colder climate than the national average and an older, less energy efficient housing stock.

Furthermore, to what extent are housing prices (no doubt the largest item within the basket) skewed by the over 10,000 abandoned homes in Buffalo? Yeah you can buy a house on the East Side for < $10,000, but who would want to? Also, to what extent is the national average housing price skewed by outliers like NYC, LA & DC? Would representational faithfulness be better achieved by using the median national housing price?

Additionally, how are taxes and fees treated?

I'm sorry that I don't blindly trust any figure I read, especially when it feels bogus. There's no need to be snide about it.
This can go both ways, as people tend to stress the issue of taxes here, but never mention fees like highway/toll taxes, vehicle fees that are much higher or HOA's. What about what it costs to use Air Conditioners or even what you get for services? Keep in mind that housing makes up a big percentage of costs too. So, you have to take a balanced approach when looking at these calculators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area