Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would I be happier in Oregon or Vermont?
Oregon 3 100.00%
Vermont 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:10 AM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 404,839 times

Advertisements

I am in need of dire help! I cannot decide on whether or not I want to move back to Burlington, VT (Vermont in general) or Eugene/Portland, Oregon?

I have never visited Oregon... I lived in Burlington for 4 years and loved it. I love the natural beauty, sophistication yet simplicity, organic food, healthy lifestyle, excellent health care, educated, artists writers, musicians feel.

I want to expand though a little more and experience a new culture... I am definitely looking for progressive, safe, vibrant, liberal --all of what Burlington has.

I need to know from Vermonter's whether or not Eugene and Portland are similar to Burlington and how? Can you go into detail for me? Your feedback will be greatly valued!

PS- Does Eugene/Portland have abandoned buildings and/or old farm houses and barns? Is there sustainability out there? Is it as healthy as Vermont?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 04:09 PM

46 posts, read 82,478 times
Well, I don't see quite how a stranger can answer that question for you.

I've been to Portland, OR and I've lived in Burlington, VT for most of my adult life. They are pretty close on layout, people, and politics. Personally, I'd go with whatever a cost of living calculator says is cheaper, given that they are both expensive.

As "vibrant" as Burlington is, the lack of sprawl (aka willingness to allow development) is now causing serious issues with both infrastructure and housing. Habitating new or newer construction is pretty well limited to those with $70K per year or more. Renting is the cheapest option and it takes 50% of my husband's professional income - that's net and before utilities.

I owned a 100 year old farmhouse for 7 years in a small town, something which would be unaffordable now to us, thanks to the unabated rise in housing costs. This farmhouse required and still required extensive remodeling. We got tired of living in a construction zone with 50 year old wiring and sold. Frankly, unless you purchase into an old building which someone else has completely modernized the romance wears off pretty quickly.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:19 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
Yeah, I was wondering how open Burlington is to growth and development? The city itself seems pretty progressive, so I would imagine they would be open to community feedback?

Have you actually participated on any of their panels?

I wonder if Portland, OR being as progressive as it is is open to community feedback, as well? Are there ways to get involved with this kind of work as a career if you're interested?

That's cool you've lived in Burlington for so long... how long did you visit Portland for? Does Portland look similar to Burlington? Does it have a similar feel only larger? Is it an enlarged Burlington?

How would you describe the trees and surrounding areas of Portland? Some people, for instance, might say Burlington is "Authentic" --"Real, true" beauty. Is this your perception of Portland, too?

Old 07-31-2010, 04:27 PM

30 posts, read 103,924 times
I don't know either locale well at all, though I've considered relocating to both areas. If all things were equal, I'd have to choose Oregon just for the climate. The pacific N/W climate would be perfect for me... just too bad it's so far away.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:40 PM

46 posts, read 82,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2bforgot10 View Post
Yeah, I was wondering how open Burlington is to growth and development? The city itself seems pretty progressive, so I would imagine they would be open to community feedback?
Thanks to a couple of legislative acts (notably Act 250), most development now requires lots of community feedback. And therein lies the real problem: once you have your house/apartment/condo most people don't really want more development next door. We just had a developer pull out of a multi-unit, affordable, and non-sprawl project (in a village center) because the local board offered so much feedback to the point where the whole project was becoming unprofitable and unworkable. (The developer had sunk $1 million into permits before walking away - google Shelburnewoods in Shelburne, VT)

But the population is still growing and needing housing - thus the serious issue with housing costs that have developed in the last 10 years.

Quote:
Have you actually participated on any of their panels?
No, but I've been to a couple of planning meetings and town meetings. Let me just say that people and democracy is a messy thing.

Quote:
I wonder if Portland, OR being as progressive as it is is open to community feedback, as well? Are there ways to get involved with this kind of work as a career if you're interested?

That's cool you've lived in Burlington for so long... how long did you visit Portland for? Does Portland look similar to Burlington? Does it have a similar feel only larger? Is it an enlarged Burlington?
I did not spend much time there - only a day or two. My impression of it was a some what enlarged Burlington. I liked it better than Seattle which was enormous to my eye. I really liked the entire Pacific NW region.

Quote:
How would you describe the trees and surrounding areas of Portland? Some people, for instance, might say Burlington is "Authentic" --"Real, true" beauty. Is this your perception of Portland, too?
I've found beauty almost everywhere I've traveled to. It just takes a certain perspective to see it. Portland and Burlington in my mind do share very similar qualities in vegetation/layout.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:38 PM

Thank you, Avon. I'd be interested in hearing more of your experience between the difference of the two? In terms of culture (people), food (prices, availability of organic selection), closeness to water for kayaking, hiking, and camping, healthcare (cost and quality, including therapy).

Old 07-31-2010, 07:42 PM

76 posts, read 202,550 times
Hi-
I have a dear friend who moved here to Burlington from Portland six years ago and will never go back. I have another dear friend who is moving from Burlington to Portland in a few weeks, and will probably never come back.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:31 PM

Interesting... lol

Well, maybe there is no way to know where you would truly fit in without seeing it! Grr.

I had originally crossed Boulder off my list, but I am considering it for the future. Boulder, CO.

For now, it's still Burlington, VT or Portland dangit.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:36 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,967,799 times
We had Boulder high on our list for a long time, but it's been crossed off due to the lack of water out there. I like rain, I hate drought. That whole area of CO (and most of the west, really) is so mismanaged with regards to water it's horrific...they keep developing with no thought as to where the water is coming from.

That being said, we have friends who've moved out there (well, north Denver area) and are quite happy. But as much as I like sunshine, I love cloudy/rainy days, and I know I would miss that.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 AM

631 posts, read 1,292,377 times
Portland is very liberal and trendy I think you'd like it there based on what you've said. One thing about the west coast is that they are friendlier toward strangers than the northeast so it shouldn't be hard making friends either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT