Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 PM

56 posts, read 120,072 times

Advertisements

Seems like there's a lot of negativity on this forum regarding Burlington. My only real concern right now is quality of work for the both of us. My wife is a Bachelor's Degree RN with 5 years experience, and I'ma CNA and disability health care worker for 8+ years. Does anyone think we will have the same problems with making a comfortable living in Burlington that others seem to be having there?

I've checked out some tax and cost of living expenses between Burlington and Rhode Island, and RI is higher in every category.

Any help or info is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,675,431 times
The cost of living calculators are not very accurate. I work in health care as well and moved here from CT. On paper everything looks cheaper in Vermont. The income drop was significant at the time. This has gotten somewhat better in the past few years for health care workers. The only thing that may work in your favor is your careers. Your wife's income may not be that different, but I'm not sure what CNA's make.
You will need to factor in what you earn as far as cost of living. Something in the state congress as we chat is between 25 and 70 million dollars in new taxes. They are going to impact everyone. The taxes will be on everything from cigarettes, shopping, fuel and some grocery items. Many other items are as expensive and in some cases more expensive. Chittenden County is probably the most expensive county in the state.
I would avoid living in Burlington unless you have to. Housing costs are ridiculously expensive as well as property taxes if you buy. The surrounding towns offer better schools, larger lot sizes, more affordable prices (in most cases), etc.
If your incomes will not be impacted that bad, the move could be a good one. The problem is most jobs outside of the health care industry are grossly underpaid and thus the cost of living is much higher. One catch to the scenario is health care reform. Vermont will be the first state to implement reform. At this point no one knows how we will all be effected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT