Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 07:02 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darky View Post
Getting a well paying job would be hard to do, I have lots of experience in all kinds of jobs and am a hard worker but do not have special skills aside from managing a team, speaking French and such (nothing really outstanding, although I do plan on going back to school but have no idea what to do. I did 1 and a half year of translation in a university in Canada but Idk yet if it would be possible for me to finish and if it would be worth it).

Living in Plattsburgh is a good idea though, I hadn't thought of that, but how is the job market there?
One of the reasons to move to Burlington aside from being closer to family, is for my musician of a husband to maybe get a band together and/or get gigs. But it's probably something possible everywhere.

Anyway. Another shooting last night in the Great New Orleans. Right around the corner. Heard it. The guy, he's dead.

Thanks for helping me seeing clearer! I guess sometimes you really want something no matter what the consequences would be. We'd love to get a car but in NOLA the insurance is ridiculous. So we'll save and get something wherever we go.
Plattsburgh is kind of dumpy. I looked into it, but the commute sucks. The boat is lousy in the winter and the drive is longer than an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 07:19 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
I don't know much about Vermont, but IMHO cost of living on the northern half of the East Coast tends to be roughly the same (excepting perhaps NYC area and rural Maine at each end). Unless you fit perfectly within what that community has you are unlikely to save. You may save on housing, but spend more on groceries or entertainment or gas because that is your lifestyle.

So, yes may be content most of the year to be raising chickens and doing farm stuff and living in a small town, but if twice a year you feel the urge to get the kids to a broadway play and experience some cultural events not available in your community your long weekends will blow your budget.

Also, IMHO big ticket items like cars, TVs, sun-surf vacations, cost more or less the same whether they are in Manhattan or in rural Vermont.

I hope you find the answer that suits you best.
Fun fact, dining out is more expensive than the NYC suburbs in Williston thanks to their 10% sales tax. That also impacts the price of big ticket items, by the way.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:27 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Vermont is expensive, no two ways around that. But I haven't lived anywhere else in the last 20 years, so I can't compare. When I've travelled, it seems like day to day stuff costs the same. Gasoline was less expensive elsewhere, as was dining out. VT has a long winter, too, and heating costs can be high, as well as the cumulation of wear and tear on a vehicle, the need for snow tires and winter clothing, etc etc etc.
Education funding is the bigger problem, IMO. Goes up every year. Of my 4800 property tax bill, 3500 is for education tax and I don't even have children. This state refuses to modernize or rethink its educational funding apparatus. Smaller towns refuse to bring their schools into the 21st century or to consolidate. Since I am now retired, and my yearly income greatly reduced, we are going to see what type of 'subsidy' the state offers (which plays into the problem of people not voting down these increasing school budgets - they don't have to pay the full amount).
You need a good job to live here. A good paying job. And if you purchase a home, that property tax burden has to be considered.
P.S. There are many good things about living in VT, though. You have to decide if it worth 'the cost.' I also live in a rural area and don't have to deal some of the 'city' issues Burlington currently contends with.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:38 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
It is so expensive there. It's such a shame because I would finally consider moving there but I'd go broke as a single person with one income for a house.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:23 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Which sort of thing is that?
Anywhereville...

Old 10-14-2020, 04:52 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Anywhereville...

Have no idea what that actually means.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:53 AM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Why Vermont?.....beautiful place to drive through but move there from NO?......wouldn't do it, you're an outsider, you'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT