Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:57 PM

159 posts, read 405,269 times

Advertisements

She told me to remind bad boys to listen to their mother, I always listened to my mother , and don't pick on my typing/spelling I went to school in Vermont.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:15 PM

10 posts, read 53,972 times
To be honest, I've been living in Burlington/Middlebury areas for 17 years and I can't find someone who knows how give a good haircut!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:06 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,238,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy in Vermont View Post
To be honest, I've been living in Burlington/Middlebury areas for 17 years and I can't find someone who knows how give a good haircut!
I live in the Middlebury area...It took me a long time to find a good one also
I tried lots of Salons with bad results.
The last 2 I have used are people who work from home.
The first retired then I found another even closer to where I live a 5 minute drive.
And she has been great as well.
But yes it can be frustrating. to find someone to do your hair right.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,462 times
OMG, I have no idea what hairychickpea or this group is about, but way to over-complicate a simple question and bring your own BS to it! I stumbled on this thread in trying to research African American hair stylists in Burlington. I live in northern VT and I'm white but my son is half Puerto Rican and has kinky hair, and although I too have curly hair, it's a somewhat different hair type. I'd rather have someone who has handled my son's hair type show me how to cut and care for his hair properly than ruin it myself, or have someone near where I live give him a buzz cut (what, I should do this and ruin his great hair so he can "blend in" with the local style?). What BS!!!

But thanks to an early poster for the tip on Diversity Hair & Nails-- I'll check it out.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 AM

111 posts, read 561,380 times
My hairdresser is African American and she helps a lot of white families who have adopted African American children. The name of her business is Horizon Salon. She is in Essex Junction and her number is 872-8856.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:28 PM

9 posts, read 28,557 times
Hello Forum. I am a 50+ year old African American (Black) Woman who just read some of the posts here. I hope that Burlington, VT is as open-minded and accepting as some have said. I hope that it truely does have a sense of "equality." I live in a small town in Arkansas where "equality" is still a dream. The "Old South" (as we call it) is still alive and well here, and that is so sad. I have been researching cities in the U.S. for the last 2 years in hopes of finding a better place to spend the rest of my life. Burlington caught my interest because of the beautiful scenery and the snow. I would like to find an affordable piece of land, with beautiful mountian views, so that I can try to get away from this part of the country. Burlington is one area that I would like to check out in 2012. So, if you are Black and are being treated like a human in Burlington, please consider that a blessing.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:57 PM

281 posts, read 1,238,009 times
I didn't see any racism or "seperate but equal" type stuff in the question. The question was valid and I hope the OP findS a place that you are comfortable with and that does a good job.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:19 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
One of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen was a woman of mixed middle-eastern descent that I saw in passing in the University Mall in Burlington in November of 1974. Stunned that I can place it that exactly? One of her primary features was thick, dry, full, and extremely curly hair (which I normally do not appreciate). Somehow, she managed to survive and thrive in Burlington pre-specialized hairdressers. Kapeesh?

I understand that particular body types require particular clothes, some hairdos are culture-centric, and that there can be a joy in expressing uniqueness and ethnicity. The issue to me is flaunting "you're not good enough to deal with my hair" in a society that makes extreme pains to avoid the entire idea of "you're not good enough."

I point this out, not as a put-down of the original post, but as an idea that the cultural shift required for full assimilation takes an effort on all sides. If the OP doesn't want that, fine. She just needs to understand that her question can be as offensive to a few Vermonters as asking "Where can I get a good pig ear sandwich?" is to some blacks. I've eaten and served pig ear sandwiches, so don't go there.

I'm sure there are any number of salons in Vermont that have people who know how to deal with curly-haired people. I wouldn't have reacted as strongly had the first response not been so culture-centric and the couplet of posts appearing so exclusionary.

Sorry, but I was brought up to understand just how people unintentionally alienate themselves (which I'm likely doing to myself now.)
I don't see anything wrong with the question the OP asked. If a white woman, or a Chinese woman, asked where she could get her hair done in Nigeria, I would not be offended at all. Mainly because many of the ppl in that particular country may not be familiar with how to style or treat their hair.

Quote:
Stunned that I can place it that exactly? One of her primary features was thick, dry, full, and extremely curly hair (which I normally do not appreciate). Somehow, she managed to survive and thrive in Burlington pre-specialized hairdressers. Kapeesh?
Black hair is not the same as a woman who is of middle eastern descent. The texture of her hair is much looser and not as tightly coiled in comparison to Black/African hair. Black ppl have the most unqiue hair texture in the world and it requires a bit more effort to take care of when its in its natural state. You seem to not have a clue about Black hair which is evident by your post

Quote:
I understand that particular body types require particular clothes, some hairdos are culture-centric, and that there can be a joy in expressing uniqueness and ethnicity. The issue to me is flaunting "you're not good enough to deal with my hair" in a society that makes extreme pains to avoid the entire idea of "you're not good enough."
That is not what the OP is trying to say. Many beauty schools do not teach their students how to treat and style Afro-textured hair most are taught how to style straight, wavy, and curly hair(not afrocurly or afrokinky)--and being in an all white community, there is a huge chance that the stylist has never even touched Afro-kinky hair. It's a hair texture that not many other ethnicities have, so that is why its best to seek out a salon that specializes in it.

Quote:

I'm sure there are any number of salons in Vermont that have people who know how to deal with curly-haired people
You don't realize that many people of African descent don't just have European/Middle Eastern curly type hair(all curly hair is NOT the same)--its a tightly coiled Afro-textured hair that requires specialized care and treatment that many salons in an all white community most likely do not know how to care for.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:58 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
The thread is obviously old, if you look at the posting dates. I come back from time to time just to see what is going on in it and watch some of the reactions as cherished PC ideas are defended. Some of what is said misses the mark of my basic point so badly that I can sense that emotions and internal filters are actually preventing some readers and posters from the comprehension of that point.

Of course I know that all curly hair is not the same and of course I know that not every salon can properly care for every type of hair. That was NOT what I had seen as a potential issue and you do yourself a favor if you also recognize that, and not give it undue importance or use it to avoid the real type of issue I was focusing on.

Extremes of cultural identity, ANY cultural identity, act to minimize the positive interactions within a tolerant and diverse community. It is not a black vs. white issue, it is an individual vs. group issue, and an issue of compromise by all parties to make a functioning society.

I'm going to play a trick here. I know that there are many people who read parts of a thread, avoid reading anything that doesn't seem to fit with what their own personal agenda is, and are incapable of learning or even hearing others because of their extreme filters and blinders. I've seen people go through amazing contortions NOT to hear or read something that doesn't fit their views. So what is my trick? Anyone who is really reading in depth at this point will see what I am about to write. People who do not will likely skip and NOT see this.

I'm going to change the subject example to get the perceived race issue out of the mix. The thread is ANCIENT and the woman with the initial problem may have died of old age by now. Anyone who, from this point forward, brings up black hair in conjunction with castigating my posts will be, in my eyes, incapable of debate on the concept. People reading the thread at a later date, will note that this is why I do not respond to them or call them "Baldie from Antarctica". (Since there are no native human Antarcticans, much less bald ones, I trust that will not step on sensitive happy feet.)

The new subject, to express the similar concept of cultural extremism, without being offensive to any other cultural group and bogging down the discussion in that, is finding a a local lycopanthic optometrist from Transylvania who can make tinted contact lenses to filter out the light from the moon.

Rhoda Ralkor comes to West Pawlett, determined to make a new start for herself, but has to get her contacts replaced every month because the properties of the tint wear out and she turns into a weremom. She is POSITIVE that only a true lycopanthic optometrist from Transylvania will be able to do what she needs. She posts in the West Pawlett forum, "Where can I find a lycopanthic optometrist from Transylvania here in West Pawlett. I know that the local lycopanthic optometrists just can't do anything with contacts, even though I have never been to one."

Gee Rhoda, HOW do you know? Would you say that if your needs are that extreme that West Pawlett might not be a good place for you?

If, OTOH, Rhoda had said "I've been used to using a lycopanthic optometrist from Transylvania. Is there someone who is an optometrist in West Pawlett that can meet my needs or is able to take direction from me so that I get my needs met?" would you then agree that Rhoda has a better chance of enjoying living in West Pawlett?

The difference between those two sample posts is the sense of exclusionary attitude that I had sensed, long ago. For those who STILL haven't got it, I'll lay it out even more simply.

If you come into an area to live, your experience will be more positive if you are willing to explore and possibly change, to better avoid unnecessary conflicts. If you come into an area with extreme or unusual expectations, you will run into problems. It doesn't matter if you are black, white, lycanthropic, or a salamander. If you can't understand that concept, then there is absolutely nothing I can say to you, nor would I waste my time.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:40 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,972,028 times
I don't bring my Toyota to a Chevy Dealer if a Toyota dealer is available. The question asked was as simple as " where can i find a good Toyota mechanic?" and turned into an attack for no reason. I thought this forum was to help people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT