Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 01:37 PM

274 posts, read 673,919 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I am moving to the Burlington area this Spring with my husband and kids in tow. I have a good job in Burlington, am used to the northern new england cold, and love the outdoors. But so many of the posts on this forum are negative about the area so I am wondering what I am in for. Can anyone who has lived in NH elaborate on the differences in VT, especially in the Burlington area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 01:48 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
I am moving to the Burlington area this Spring with my husband and kids in tow. I have a good job in Burlington, am used to the northern new england cold, and love the outdoors. But so many of the posts on this forum are negative about the area so I am wondering what I am in for. Can anyone who has lived in NH elaborate on the differences in VT, especially in the Burlington area?

I think people who have gripes may speak up a lot more than people who are just happily getting along. I mean, why go on and on about a good thing?

I've lived in SW NH and Rutland, VT, but not in Manchester, NH, or Burlington, VT. I love living in Vermont. Burlington is too much city for my taste, but I'd probably love it there, too.

I spend a lot of time in Burlington for work and with friends and always have a great time. I'm familiar with Manchester. I think it's got more of a city vibe than Burlington does. If I was choosing between the two, I'd much prefer Burlington. But personal taste is subjective. I'm sure plenty of other would prefer Manchester.

Good luck and enjoy!

Old 03-05-2009, 02:46 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I think people who have gripes may speak up a lot more than people who are just happily getting along. I mean, why go on and on about a good thing?

I've lived in SW NH and Rutland, VT, but not in Manchester, NH, or Burlington, VT. I love living in Vermont. Burlington is too much city for my taste, but I'd probably love it there, too.

I spend a lot of time in Burlington for work and with friends and always have a great time. I'm familiar with Manchester. I think it's got more of a city vibe than Burlington does. If I was choosing between the two, I'd much prefer Burlington. But personal taste is subjective. I'm sure plenty of other would prefer Manchester.

Good luck and enjoy!
I live in the Burlington area, it's probably one of the happiest places I've lived. Lots of people from out of state here and happy to be living in a safe, clean, beautiful place. A very happy vibe. It's pricey, but so is the Manchester area. You won't be in for the shock people from FL or Ga would be. The job market is tough, but have you seen the national news lately?

Disregard the five or six regular whiners here. They'd be unhappy anywhere. ..."When I was a boy we ate sticks, and we liked it!"

Old 03-05-2009, 04:04 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
Default I'm a VT native...

Quote:
Hi-

Thanks!
...living in Boston, but I can help you.

Burlington is much more liberal, colder, and much more of a college town than Manchester. I personally think it's more attractive, and although it's further away from Boston, it's only 1.5 hours from Montreal..

Old 03-26-2009, 02:46 PM

6 posts, read 25,011 times
I would have to agree with the folks that say it is an amazing place to live...plenty of "big city" amenities, theatre, restaurants, activities, festivals, etc. without the big city problems. You can get a home in the suburbs on a nice country lot and still be a half hour to town. [mod] no advertising [/mod]

Last edited by vter; 03-29-2009 at 08:21 AM..

Old 03-26-2009, 08:41 PM

23 posts, read 102,716 times
Burlington tends to be more more influenced by artists than by the working class. As more young working class families move away seeking better incomes with fewer expenses, they are quickly replaced with bigger city folks (with bigger city money), who bring along the arts and other cultures with them. The effect is spreading to the rest of the state and likely to increase as local economic conditions become more difficult for the working class.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:06 PM

20 posts, read 58,204 times
I moved away from Burlington about 5 years ago and my husband and I miss it terribly. I've never lived in Manchester but I can tell you that Burlington is a very friendly city. Maybe because there are so many transplants from other places, its an easy place to make friends. We live in greater Boston and people here are much less open than up there. There's not as much to do in Burlington, and winters are long, but if you like the outdoors its a good place to be. Traffic is easier to deal with, although there is not much public transportation. One thing that gives me pause about Burlington is lack of diversity- its better than it was, but still very very white. Just seems unnatural. We really regret leaving. Alas.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:38 AM

274 posts, read 673,919 times
Thanks. All of your perspectives are helpful. One thing I've noticed is that the people on the NH board of this site are just as negative about NH. And NH has a better job situation, go figure. I just think that no place is perfect and there are risks with living anywhere.I have noticed the lack of diversity issue. Many coworkers have urged me to get a house in the Hill section so my kids can go to Edmunds since it is the only multicultural school. Manchester is getting pretty diverse due to the refugee relocations (we feel fortunate to have that here) and that's what my kids are used to so that would be a good place for us. However, we're ending up in Williston for some other practical reasons. It'll be hard to get my kids to grow up understanding there is more to the world than white, so we are going to try to do some volunteering in the Burlington community with the refugee groups so they get better exposure.I've been up there during the week and we all move up officially in June. It's been great watching it get more beautiful from week to week. We're also noticing the job listings in my husband's profession have picked up a little bit and that's encouraging. He's taking a year off though!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:23 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,183 times
The biggest initial difference someone moving to Burlington from Manchester will notice will be on how much less traffic and development there is here. I have worked and gone to school in Manchester, be it several decades ago, but still have family in Manchester itself and everytime I go down for a visit it just amazes me on how much things continue to change. People here will say that the shopping in Williston at Tafts Corners and Maple Tree Place is large and crowded. Compared to the shopping in Manchester/Bedford/Hooksett and traffic it generates you will find it much smaller and more relaxed here. Another major difference is that the towns surrounding Burlington versus the towns surrounding Manchester have no where near the amount of housing and business. The environs of Burlington are what the towns around Manchester were over 30 years ago. A final comparison on the difference in growth involves the airport. The new and ever growing complex in Manchester dwarfs Burlington's airport. Again, Burlington's airport which is fine and easy to access resembles more of what Grenier Field in Manchester was like minus the parking garage. The Burlington area to me is more pleasing for outdoor pursuits and quiet living, but Manchester has been very good to my inlaws as they are exclusively in the commercial construction field and have been in the Manchester area from the 1940s to the present.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:40 PM

319 posts, read 963,572 times
Default less stress?

Quote:
Hi-

Thanks!
say what ya will burlingtons ok. and be sure to bring your boat and make good use of my favorite lake in the world.
oh ya dont forget the bug dope. make sure the kids can swim .a the rock quarries are another fun place to swim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT