Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 12:49 PM

5 posts, read 15,541 times

Advertisements

Is it true that Burlington is a very "granola/grungy" area. Considering a move but would like more info...And HONESTLY, how are the winters?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emfarell View Post
Is it true that Burlington is a very "granola/grungy" area. Considering a move but would like more info...And HONESTLY, how are the winters?...
Among other things, Burlington has a visible presence of granola and grunge culture, which I happen to feel at home in -- especially the granola. (I'm a tad old for grunge, but it's okay with me that others live it.)

I LOVE Vermont winters, especially once the days start getting longer in February. I would take year-round winter over year-round summer any day, which I proved by moving to Northern New England 20 years ago from Miami Beach, of which I am a native.

Being near Lake Champlain, Burlington seems damper and windier to me than other parts of Vermont. So the temps may be warmer but I think it feels colder.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:55 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,753 times
Quote:

Granola and grungy, definitely. It's a little like Seattle without the hordes of runaways.

The winters, pretty much as rough as they get in the US. Not quite the snow of central upstate NY, but colder.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:18 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,156 times
I'm originally from Ct and the winter is colder and about 2 months longer than southern New England. It starts earlier and Ends later. The lows are about 30 degrees colder as well. Summers are great, but they are way to short. The other posters hit the nail on the head as far as the crunchy/grung thing.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:29 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Pine Street was the original location of the factory that made maple flavored oatmeal. I used to love the smell that came from it, especially in the year or so after the gas plant was torn down.

Winters? Depends on the winter. Sometimes someone will go missing in December and not be found until spring thaw. Othertimes, it can be hard.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I'm originally from Ct and the winter is colder and about 2 months longer than southern New England. It starts earlier and Ends later. The lows are about 30 degrees colder as well. Summers are great, but they are way to short. The other posters hit the nail on the head as far as the crunchy/grung thing.
Actually, I've been here for five summers and three of them have sucked.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:56 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
There's more granola in Brattleboro but Burlington has its share. I don't like either place. Winters? I love winter, not long enough for me. Summers can be rough but the past couple have been mostly cool and wet (which is better for me temperature wise but I don't like the rain nor does my garden like the weather). The NEK has the coldest winters in VT. Burlington seems milder to me than some other parts of VT. Windy but milder. And get up in the mountains and you'll find much stronger winds than Burlington gets.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:20 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Actually, I've been here for five summers and three of them have sucked.
You're right. We have had several bad summers, but if it gets warm enough to put on shorts and a t-shirt I'm happy. I'll take a warm day with rain anyday over bitter cold or freezing rain.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:55 PM

5 posts, read 15,541 times
Thank you all so much for this very helpful information. It's a tough decision to make and I think the only REAL way to know is to just pack up and spend several days there...For those of you that have traveled, outside of Vermont which big city would you compare Burlington most to?...

Old 07-30-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Thank you all so much for this very helpful information. It's a tough decision to make and I think the only REAL way to know is to just pack up and spend several days there...For those of you that have traveled, outside of Vermont which big city would you compare Burlington most to?...
Ithaca, NY

Although much smaller, it has a similar vibe of Boulder, CO and Madison, WI.

Charlottesville, VA.

I thought I might find the same feeling in Northhampton, MA but i really didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT