U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:28 PM

125 posts, read 995,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
The other option is to invest by yourself, so you dont have to deal with partners. And also to manage things yourself, which increases profits for so many different reasons. More profits=more growth. More growth means more jobs.
What about your community?

more growth = more jobs??? How many times have we seen companies that are "growing" offshore jobs to other countries, or low ball wages, or cut pensions or discriminate.

We don't just need any type of growth. We need more locally grown growth in our own communities that will benefit our communities in the long term. Local profits that will be reinvested back into our communities, our schools, our healthcare systems. That's what's going to create jobs and true sustainability.

Last edited by misc.random; 06-14-2010 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:50 PM

764 posts, read 1,452,588 times
Small businesses do invest in their community. If your starting a business it is going to be small, under 500 employees, and it is going to be in your community. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, it is a nice idea, but i would rather go it alone.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc.random View Post

more growth = more jobs??? How many times have we seen companies that are "growing" offshore jobs to other countries, or low ball wages, or cut pensions or discriminate.

We don't just need any type of growth. We need more locally grown growth in our own communities that will benefit our communities in the long term. Local profits that will be reinvested back into our communities, our schools, our healthcare systems. That's what's going to create jobs and true sustainability.
Actually i like your idea. I am completely changing my mind. If we did this then everybody would see how costly labor really is, especially pensions. When people start losing money for their community then maybe they will understand why people downsize, cut pensions, go off-shore. I'm not supporting those things but it is hard to keep a business profitable, espcially today.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 PM

125 posts, read 995,511 times
you make a point.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 PM

Thank you, i think we have come up with a good solution for this country. If we did this we would get money moving to investments, creat some jobs, and educate on the struggles of running a business. Maybe more people should try this in their own community.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,403 posts, read 44,197,946 times
Quote:
... Local profits that will be reinvested back into our communities, our schools, our healthcare systems. That's what's going to create jobs and true sustainability.
You have my vote.

I have been trying to promote that for 'community wind' rather than leasing a tower to a foriegn company, which spends $ to build the tower (foreign made), and pays a trivial lease to farmer / land owner, but the perpetual profits flow to the 'off shore' owners. Rather, there are plenty of USDA programs for rural Economic Development that can help the community become a net producer. Thank goodness MN and IA have that revenue model working.

There could be a lot of community benefit if we get our act together before we are all outsourced (including our natural resources.)

Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 PM

14,734 posts, read 11,803,023 times
Quote:
I was wondering why don't more community members pool their resources together and start a business that will benefit the community.

If 100 people each gave $1,000 to start a community business like a restaurant, convenience store, lawn care business, they could create jobs, and revenue for themselves and their community. you can easily start a business with $100k

I think this would be a good idea. But what are some of the drawbacks and/or obstacles that a business like this would face?

With this community coop structure the "investors" would appoint or hire managers and workers and the investors would all get an equal sharing of the profit.

Any ideas or stories about community coops?
When everyone in the neighborhood pitches in money, then you have 100 cooks in the kitchen all arguing about what to do.

You also have to be able to provide services that someone will actually pay for. That generally requires a significant time investment and the bearing of significant risk by those who are going to implement the business plan. In order to do that, you need to expect a decent reward for success.

...in other words, most people are not motivated to work hard and exceed by a communist-style sharing of all profits equally.

There is a reason why America looks the way it has and the old USSR looked the way it did.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
When everyone in the neighborhood pitches in money, then you have 100 cooks in the kitchen all arguing about what to do.

You also have to be able to provide services that someone will actually pay for. That generally requires a significant time investment and the bearing of significant risk by those who are going to implement the business plan. In order to do that, you need to expect a decent reward for success.

...in other words, most people are not motivated to work hard and exceed by a communist-style sharing of all profits equally.

There is a reason why America looks the way it has and the old USSR looked the way it did.
I aggree with you but this is more of a discussion about a shared investment. If it was worked out so that someone ran the day to day operations while the community voted on bigger decisions then the investors wouldn't be the one's working at all. Either way it would be difficult. I think the only way it would work is if the community put money in and aggreed to having NO say in the day to day operations or any of the finacial decisions. Furthermore, i wouldn't let them take the money out after that. They would get dividends and status reports and thats it. Of course, they would be made aware of that prior to investing. Thats how i would do it.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:00 PM

6,613 posts, read 11,792,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
I aggree with you but this is more of a discussion about a shared investment. If it was worked out so that someone ran the day to day operations while the community voted on bigger decisions then the investors wouldn't be the one's working at all. Either way it would be difficult. I think the only way it would work is if the community put money in and aggreed to having NO say in the day to day operations or any of the finacial decisions. Furthermore, i wouldn't let them take the money out after that. They would get dividends and status reports and thats it. Of course, they would be made aware of that prior to investing. Thats how i would do it.
Then it's not really a co-op, it sounds more like an S corp with private shareholders.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:15 PM

721 posts, read 2,766,269 times
What your describing is basically an investment club. They exist, generally revolve around real estate investment or even investing in stock market but I'm sure some buy franchises or other businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business