Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 02:53 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,004,493 times

Advertisements

Just a simple accounting question.I had mistakenly labeled personal income taken out of my company as retained earnings instead of owners capital draws,and when correcting it the amounts on my balance sheet report for both accounts got higher.My accountant assured me this is correct,and I am not questioning that,but just trying understand and didn't want to waste my accountant's time schooling me.Why wouldn't changing income mistakenly labeled retained earnings into owners capital draws make the retained earnings go down?It seems to me the retained earnings number should drop as I redirect,on paper anyways,money from being labeled retained earnings to owners draws.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 AM

28 posts, read 124,247 times
Based on what you said, your first entry would have been a credit to cash and a debit to retained earnings (the "normal balance" of retained earnings is in fact a credit). A debit to retained earnings actually reduces the balance. Keep in mind that a debit to any equity account "reduces" it.

Your second (correcting) entry should have been a credit to retained earnings and a debit to owner draws, or what I typically title as "distribution." This would in effect increase both retained earnings (back to its original balance) as well as the draw account (which has a debit balance, though it technically reduces equity).

Overall, there should not be a net change in total equity as a result of the correcting entry.

Last edited by BE in HHI; 06-14-2010 at 11:08 AM..

Old 06-14-2010, 01:38 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
This is what happens when we try to not pay qualified bookkeepers and accountants to do this.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
This is what happens when we try to not pay qualified bookkeepers and accountants to do this.
The bookkeeper didn't do anything wrong - BrightEyedLLC has it right... The accounts appear to both increase, but you have to keep in mind that one is credit and the other debit balance, which means that they offset one another.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
Because assets less liabilities = equity - as both the account you use to track "draws" is equity as are retained earnings, when you made the corrections it's a wash

You reduced your equity by making a draw against it, but added to your equity by listing them as retained earnings.

(and I agree with random - for whatever reason some seem to have decided "it's so simple a caveman can do it" - until they run into trouble that is)

Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
It's an interesting discussion, for sure, and I think it (not utilizing a qualified accountant or at least a good bookkeeper) is a leading cause of small business failures. You would not believe how many small business owners I come across that have no idea of their true financial standing.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with someone doing their own bookkeeping and accounting so long as it is 1) actually done and 2) done correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post

(and I agree with random - for whatever reason some seem to have decided "it's so simple a caveman can do it" - until they run into trouble that is)
As I said elsewhere, I blame Sage and Intuit for creating the mentality that anyone can do their own bookkeeping and accounting. On the plus side, there is good money in straightening out poor accounting assuming the client actually has the financial means to pay.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE in HHI View Post
As I said elsewhere, I blame Sage and Intuit for creating the mentality that anyone can do their own bookkeeping and accounting. On the plus side, there is good money in straightening out poor accounting assuming the client actually has the financial means to pay.
Well I agree with you regarding Intuit and QB, but which Sage software are you referring to? MAS-90 can be a bear (if incorrectly setup in the first place, especially), as can MAS-200 and let's not even think about Timberline = )

That said, I'm unemployed right now, but I have an awful feeling that when I am re-employed I will once again be in the position of "fixing" the screwups - sigh.

It's not enough to just be able to enter data (correctly, we hope) and press a button to print out a financial statement.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Well I agree with you regarding Intuit and QB, but which Sage software are you referring to?
Peachtree.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE in HHI View Post
Peachtree.
UGH - Can't STAND Peachtree - I forgot that was one of the Sage buy ups (along with Great Plains which also sucks imho)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business