Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 07:24 PM

186 posts, read 549,453 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about being an IC? I currently have been working with staffing companies performing I&C work at power plants. How ever this schedule is not working for me anymore. I get tired of 2-3 months away from home. I wouldn't mind this if I was making more. I have kicked the idea around of being an IC. I have no clue on how to start. I am thinking of just calling the HR departments up and ask how to be a vendor. well any input would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 06:08 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
Hit page 2 on this forum. There is a thread called independent contractor questions. Check it out, there are 2 pages of posts.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:59 AM

20 posts, read 55,585 times
Default Indepentdent Contractor Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach View Post
Does anyone know anything about being an IC? I currently have been working with staffing companies performing I&C work at power plants. How ever this schedule is not working for me anymore. I get tired of 2-3 months away from home. I wouldn't mind this if I was making more. I have kicked the idea around of being an IC. I have no clue on how to start. I am thinking of just calling the HR departments up and ask how to be a vendor. well any input would be great.
I am an independently owned consultant. I provide a service for a fee that advises and assist small business owners to seek their goals and aspirations. Contact me directly at cljconsulting@gmail.com

Old 12-28-2007, 04:44 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,696 times
mach,
There is a lot to being an IC. What exactly do you want to know? In general, you will do the work, they pay you for it without nay deductions. At the end of the year you get a Form 1099 for taxes. You will probably use Sch. C for this of the Form 1040 and then you will have to pay taxes.

So, from the money thank you make. Put/save parts of it for taxes so that when tax time comes you will not be surprised. Also, keep track of expenses, mileage, etc. to deduct them from you 1099 income.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 AM

186 posts, read 549,453 times
Thanks for the replies guys. I have talked to my accountant but he is really in the dark with it comes to IC. I use him for my Real estate stuff. I talked to him briefly on the phone he seems to think I should start up an LLC. He told me not to do an S-corp till I get going, and I would be double taxed. I think He thought I was talking about an C-corp. I'm not sure I understand you when you say there is a lot to being an IC. The think I don't understand is how to make contacts, and the insurance I would need. as it is now I have to keep track of my travel, and expenses. I don't always work for one company and I travel through out the US. Any input is welcomed.

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:54 PM

622 posts, read 3,113,007 times
The very little I know about this stuff, is that an LLC is for people who want protection from lawsuits and stuff like that. I'm leaning towards an LLC myself due to the medical/rehab field business we're considering. If you are in a line of work where you could be easily be sued, then an LLC might be the way to go, like your accountant suggested. good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business