U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 AM

1,318 posts, read 2,367,193 times

Advertisements

Hello, with the threat of recent layoff at my job, i been learning to build websites in my spare time. Lately, I been thinking of different website (or service website) ideas I can start working on. I mean, whoever thought youtube would make it this big. But, I dont want nothing to big, just been thinking of a good idea and something Im interested in.

How about this? A website where people can post weekly (or daily) videos of project they are working on. Kinda of like reality internet videos. Like VH1 have all these reality shows thats kind of similary that we are forced to watch. Well, here on my website people can post their own weekly or daily video. Maybe a 15 minute clip of a student trying to go from a D to A student. That student post videos weekly of what he/she did that week to get better grades.

What do you think? Feedback please.

Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 02:03 PM

11 posts, read 24,963 times
Hello Darrell2525

It is a concept that has already been done, but in your case you'd like to add on to it. Your primary purpose is for people to upload their videos to your website, like YouTube. The reason for why YouTube has the greatest success is that their target audience is everyone in the world. You should focus on and be prepared to discuss "who" is your target audience, and "why" have you chosen this market to start and grown your venture.

For instance, Food Network features several reality shows. "The Next Food Network Star" is a one hour show with a target audience of food lovers, amateur chefs seeking recipes, future contestants, etc. So with this concept in mind, your website and purpose is all about amateur chefs in their kitchens at their homes.Your target audience is the same, but the only difference is you are not broadcasting it on national TV, but on a much smaller scale. Still on the topic, to promote your website, have a page where viewers can sign up to have sent to them a newletter of different recipes, like "Meals that can be prepared in 15 minutes."

With all this said, I hope that I've given you useful feedback. Good Luck.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:24 AM

7 posts, read 13,655 times
YouTube does a similar service, so I'd choose another approach. How about allowing the people to create some sort of a project timeline on your website? Maybe create a series of snapshots of their projects, and so on. You could assemble a series of screenshots / slides into a quick motion video, etc.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGirl 1990 View Post
Hello Darrell2525

It is a concept that has already been done, but in your case you'd like to add on to it. Your primary purpose is for people to upload their videos to your website, like YouTube. The reason for why YouTube has the greatest success is that their target audience is everyone in the world. You should focus on and be prepared to discuss "who" is your target audience, and "why" have you chosen this market to start and grown your venture.

For instance, Food Network features several reality shows. "The Next Food Network Star" is a one hour show with a target audience of food lovers, amateur chefs seeking recipes, future contestants, etc. So with this concept in mind, your website and purpose is all about amateur chefs in their kitchens at their homes.Your target audience is the same, but the only difference is you are not broadcasting it on national TV, but on a much smaller scale. Still on the topic, to promote your website, have a page where viewers can sign up to have sent to them a newletter of different recipes, like "Meals that can be prepared in 15 minutes."

With all this said, I hope that I've given you useful feedback. Good Luck.
Thank you so much. I apologize for the late response, dog was sick and work. The audience will be achievers, people with a small plan trying to reach a goal (teaching dog new tricks, a child trying to get good grades, person going on weekly interviews for new jobs, building a motorcycle, etc.) Ideas are welcome!!

I understand what you are saying. I need an audience. My audience will be people who want to achieve something in a timeline they create for what they are trying to achieve. For instance, a person that want to lose weight, say 30 lbs in three months, can post a weekly video of what they did to lose weight that week. The videos can show them measure themselves weekly and the world can see how much weight they lost. This helps people achieve goals and continue it because people will be waiting on the next week to see more achievements.

Another example, I can show a weekly process of me building a website to make this happen. It will force me to stick with the plan.

Im just brainstorming. I been on Youtube and the videos are just random from different people. But this can be a website with people with a mission, like a weekly show of them doing something to achieve an outcome or goal.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-16-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgePirvu View Post
YouTube does a similar service, so I'd choose another approach. How about allowing the people to create some sort of a project timeline on your website? Maybe create a series of snapshots of their projects, and so on. You could assemble a series of screenshots / slides into a quick motion video, etc.
Thanks for comment. I think I understand what you are getting at. Can you give an example please.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:07 AM

165 posts, read 901,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Hello, with the threat of recent layoff at my job, i been learning to build websites in my spare time. Lately, I been thinking of different website (or service website) ideas I can start working on. I mean, whoever thought youtube would make it this big. But, I dont want nothing to big, just been thinking of a good idea and something Im interested in.

How about this? A website where people can post weekly (or daily) videos of project they are working on. Kinda of like reality internet videos. Like VH1 have all these reality shows thats kind of similary that we are forced to watch. Well, here on my website people can post their own weekly or daily video. Maybe a 15 minute clip of a student trying to go from a D to A student. That student post videos weekly of what he/she did that week to get better grades.

What do you think? Feedback please.

Thanks,
If people are forced to watch such reality shows, what makes you think they will choose to actually get on your website if it offers similar material? And why would anyone care that some guy they don't know managed to get an A from a D? I think the reality type and how-to videos are all over the internet and there is minimal chance your site will be succesfull unless you can beat youtube and such websites. You would only have a chance if your website targets a specific group of people on a specific topic. For ex. if you are into cars make a website where pepple can post videos on how to work on cars, but cover everything related to cars and maintenance, replacing parts and fixing things and have step by step videos, tips etc

Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaslover View Post
If people are forced to watch such reality shows, what makes you think they will choose to actually get on your website if it offers similar material? And why would anyone care that some guy they don't know managed to get an A from a D? I think the reality type and how-to videos are all over the internet and there is minimal chance your site will be succesfull unless you can beat youtube and such websites. You would only have a chance if your website targets a specific group of people on a specific topic. For ex. if you are into cars make a website where pepple can post videos on how to work on cars, but cover everything related to cars and maintenance, replacing parts and fixing things and have step by step videos, tips etc
Thanks for that advice. I guess your right. With youtube and other video websites, its marketed toward video entertainment.

I guess i better keep thinkin.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:37 AM

3,853 posts, read 11,976,073 times
Its been done. Its called youtube.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:10 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,083,720 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Thanks for that advice. I guess your right. With youtube and other video websites, its marketed toward video entertainment.

I guess i better keep thinkin.
Well don't trash the idea completely.

Publication is a great motivator. The kid who is trying to get from a D to an A might not be Nielsen-worthy to the general public, but he would be to his family, teachers, friends etc. They could post comments, offer encouragement, etc.

What if you made it optional - public or private? So the D-kid wouldn't have to have his journey hanging out there for the whole world to see. He could send links to people he trusts.

And what if you get someone with a radical tale to tell? Physical therapy journey of a war vet. Someone going through chemo and their family is far away and can't be there in person. Transgender issues. Crisis issues.

Also, there's a ton of people on the internet that just like to help out folks. A retired auto mechanic might look for videos where someone is rebuilding a mustang engine, and offer advice.

If you name the site something specific that relates to the content, you would not be competing with youtube.

Just thinking out loud

Old 07-30-2010, 02:46 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,594,116 times
There will always be someone who tells you it can't be done, or it has been done. It's human nature. But an entrepreneur finds opportunity in places that others don't see it. Even if 9 out of 10 people tell you it's a horrible idea, so what? It might be a great idea and they just can't see it. And you don't need to start the next YouTube to be successful - there are thousands of smaller sites that earn their owners a good living.

If you want to brainstorm and bounce ideas off of someone else, find a mentor - someone else who has done something similar successfully - and who also thinks big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or