U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:26 PM

171 posts, read 407,119 times

Advertisements

re: " just buy some things that i know are in high demand in Greece (and overpriced) and see how much i can get for them."

Then why involve eBay at all? You can set up a basic DIY website, get a Paypal account so customers can pay you that way if it is also easier for them--although it may NOT be--and use your personal connections to build a small business supplying these items?

Also know that it is illegal to mark packages as "gifts". You could get in a lot of trouble if anyone noticed a slew of pricey shoes & clothing items marked as such. So remember that your buyers need to consider customs fees as well. Otherwise, yes, you will have people claiming they didn't know they had to pay them and on and on and can they return or think YOU owe them the money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 12:16 AM

6,950 posts, read 9,673,669 times
Looking around for info/tips on starting a ebay business I ran across this article that touched on finding a niche. What caught my attention was the suggestion that you should focus on appealing to specific buyers within a niche.

Quote:
But people tend to specialize in products when they really should be specializing in groups of buyers, says Gibbs. Within a major category--such as trains, which Gibbs concentrates on--there are several types of buyers, including collectors and operators. “Understanding who they are, what they’re buying and why, or how they’ll use it” helps you anticipate what other types of products they may need, Gibbs says...

eBay Made Easy - Entrepreneur.com

Old 07-18-2010, 12:24 AM

6,613 posts, read 11,799,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Several relatives of mine make their living on ebay. They, and many others, were very successful at this until recently. They say that ebay has made it practically impossible for sellers to succeed anymore. The fees are high. The listing tools which made their product more prominent have been elimanated. They require all sellers to use only Paypal, which is very expensive, and buyers can rip them off without any repercussions from ebay. They also say that ebay's goal is to get away from large commercial sellers, "the stores", in favor of the little guy selling his old weedwhacker, or whatever.
So, to the OP, I think you have missed the boat.
LOL ironic they say that NOW, as that's what ebay STARTED out as - basically online garage sales........it was ebay's greed that let all the "businesses" in on it.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:37 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,090,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaslover View Post
thanks everyone for the replies and especially egglady for the helpfull links!
You're very welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaslover View Post
I have friends back home that constantly ask me if i can bring them this or that, i had a friend the other day that asked me if i can buy and ship an authentic Lebron James jersey for him because the cheapest one he can find there is 130euros..Levis jeans are 4x the price over there the same with puma and diesel shoes and clothes (and you can find them for 50% off of what they sell HERE in the outlets). Not to mention that a lot of the things that people want are not even available in Greece, especially on the islands, and if they are only high end boutiques sell them and most people can't afford.
Sounds like you have a sales channel already partially in place. 130 euros is about $168 US. I don't know what a Lebron Jersey can be had for nowadays, but I bet you can get them cheap in Cleveland

It sounds to me like it is worth exploring. But you need to find a way to let them know about it. eBay is so saturated with junk right now (due to the 99c free auctions) that your items may very well get buried and never be found. You need to market it somehow. Be sure and send your 'friends back home' a link to your eBay sellers ID, hopefully they will spread the word. If you have a good contact back there, they could put up a flyer at a local college, or take an ad out in a newspaper or similar publication.

Curious - I thought Greece was in a bad recession right now - are people really buying luxury items?

Old 07-19-2010, 11:59 AM

6,950 posts, read 9,673,669 times
What's been peoples approaches to finding items at garage sales? On the surface garage sales seem like good places to get cheap items but it's a matter of knowing what exactly to buy.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What's been peoples approaches to finding items at garage sales? On the surface garage sales seem like good places to get cheap items but it's a matter of knowing what exactly to buy.
My personal exp. has been one extreme or the other. I don't normally bother, but a few times I've noticed people out with good items for very little money. I've snatched up authentic premium denim before from a moving sale, where a woman had gained weight and just wanted those jeans gone. Moving sales seem a good bet, since people really don't want to bring it back inside at the end of the day. They just want it gone, and a little extra cash.

I've also been to yard ales where the people have all kinds of junk, but think everything they have that used belong to Aunt Tilda should be featured on Antique Roadshow.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:26 PM

3,696 posts, read 6,323,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Several relatives of mine make their living on ebay. They, and many others, were very successful at this until recently. They say that ebay has made it practically impossible for sellers to succeed anymore. The fees are high. The listing tools which made their product more prominent have been elimanated. They require all sellers to use only Paypal, which is very expensive, and buyers can rip them off without any repercussions from ebay. They also say that ebay's goal is to get away from large commercial sellers, "the stores", in favor of the little guy selling his old weedwhacker, or whatever.
So, to the OP, I think you have missed the boat.

Actually, you've got it backwards. Ebay wants the big, commercial sellers, and are squeezing us little folk out.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:34 AM

4,781 posts, read 6,530,640 times
I didn't read most of this thread but my girlfriend is making a killing right now selling her West Coast Chopper items to folks in Australia, Italy etc. (even used/worn t-shirts are selling for a good price) You can't give that stuff away right now here in the States. So it can be done.

Make sure they understand the cost of shipping will be high. For the record, She doesn't take into account anything to do with customs etc. She just ships it like you would to a friend or family member.

Edit: She says a couple of guys from Bahrain are buying a lot. WCC Skull caps are a hot item for her right now.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
For the record, She doesn't take into account anything to do with customs etc. She just ships it like you would to a friend or family member.
OP, I do not recco doing this. I don't believe this poster was either, but to be safe, don't go there. You can get in a LOT of legal and financial trouble if you're caught falsely marking items as gifts. Sure, you might get away with it for awhile, but every time you fill out a customs form, your info is on file, and you'll be caught eventually.

I always make sure my listings clearly state that they buyer is responsible for customs and any other fees/taxes levied by their location.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:24 AM

541 posts, read 1,197,953 times
dport...your gf does not do bussiness proper way,she betrays...and at the end she could finally be caught...i would not take this risk..the competition could discovere and report her any time..then she is in huge finacial and legal trouble..in usa they can track everything...she will have to pay back a lot...betray is never ok..and never ends good...i am totally against betrayer,because this money belongs to the community,school and so on...i have no problem to report anybody,who i feel does not act properly..i am european,live in CA,but i respect my values..and people,who notices her,could act the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or