Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 08:12 AM

673 posts, read 2,716,772 times

Advertisements

We give a lot of information and support to prospects in hopes that they will gain confidence in our abilities and purchase with us. That's considered to be best practice in marketing. But this approach has some drawbacks. If they purchase, we've essentially discounted our product. If they don't buy, we've wasted our time and intellectual property.

This economy seems to be a game-changer. We have had situations where people work with us to learn and plan, then buy a cheaper product. We've even had people return after purchasing elsewhere, asking for support.

Giving things away for free: does it build goodwill or does it devalue?
How do you help a prospect and help yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 12:27 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
I've structured my entire business around the freemium model. It works good if done right. For example I give 25% of my product away for free, as in 100% free. If the person wants the other 75%, they have to pay for it. I get very good conversions on my product as I have developed an insanely good product that the competitors simply cannot compete against.

I can tell you that it doesn't devalue your product as long as your provide good value. If people are purchasing other products from competitors then you might want to consider if your price point is the right one to have.

Also make sure that your free offer has a low cost to you. I am not sure on what your product is but for me, my product is a website so the cost of 10,000 people using the, "free" portion of the site has a very low cost to me. Even if only 100 of those people purchase the product then it has been profitable for me. The cost of delivering the 10,000 people the free service cost me basically nothing. Meanwhile, there are billion dollar companies out there that charge big money for the product I am giving away for free. Talk about a major game changer.

I would recommend reading this book:
Amazon.com: Free: The Future of a Radical Price (9781401322908): Chris Anderson: Books

Its about how giving stuff away for free is an insanely brilliant marketing idea. Obviously you don't have to look any further than google to see how brilliant the freemium model is. The basic idea of the book is to give xyz product away for free but make money selling some other good or service. In the business world is a huge game changer because some people are giving away goods and services for free that other businesses used to charge for. Take for example google satellite maps.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 AM

673 posts, read 2,716,772 times
Killer - Great post. I will get the book today. I think our balance is skewed - i.e. too much being given away for free. People rave about our free stuff. So apparently our quality is good. You may also be right about our product price point. Our product is physical, so it's really hard not to be perceived as a commodity. So maybe we make some money on our related services.

BTW, speaking of Google, have you seen Google Sketchup? A very cool tool. Again, part free, part fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business