Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times

Advertisements

Pretty much any exercise place.

Right now, places doing CrossFit are all the rage. But even now, lots of doctors are beginning to warn about the health risks posed by CrossFit, not to mention the creepy, narcissistic nature of the entire thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:37 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
Its funny how many of us differ on opinion to whats a fad and whats not, but I have enjoyed this thread so its fulfilling its purpose!

How about a few more fads... Tamagotchi, Skip-It, and Slap Bracelets. Yea I am a 90's kid. :P

I feel like the NEW fad is frozen yogurt places. I have seen tons of FROYO places opening up lately. Those will soon be gone I think.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:32 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Its funny how many of us differ on opinion to whats a fad and whats not, but I have enjoyed this thread so its fulfilling its purpose!

How about a few more fads... Tamagotchi, Skip-It, and Slap Bracelets. Yea I am a 90's kid. :P

I feel like the NEW fad is frozen yogurt places. I have seen tons of FROYO places opening up lately. Those will soon be gone I think.
You are so right about the Froyo places... there are 4 of them in the downtown of the suburb I live in. If you count up all the ice cream places we have at least 7. It is WAY too many for the size of my town. Not to mention that they are all basically the same; same setup, same prices, same flavors, same toppings, etc. The only thing that differentiates them at all is the decor, which I doubt most customers pay attention to.

It's a shame Crossfit is probably a fad that will be gone. I'd love to own a Crossfit gym. That said, they charge WAY too much for what they are and I think that will be their undoing. The community aspect is great and if you go there regularly, you get what amounts to a watered down personal trainer which is pretty nice (better than no guidance at all and cheaper than a one on one trainer). But, at $200 month, it's still too expensive for most people to afford at all. Then again, people who go to Crossfit are so hardcore, I wonder if it really will fade. I think if it does fade out it will be because current members fade out due to age or life events (pregnancy, job loss, moving, etc. where they can't afford it anymore) not because they really want to stop going.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
I highly doubt the Froyo thing will ever die out, sure it will scale back just like the cupcake fad is starting to do but there will always be room for a good product with good service and fair pricing.

In fact I'm looking at setting up a Froyo mobile unit, just deciding if I'll do it self serve or not.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:15 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,495 times
From a business point of view -- in my way of thinking -- I don't care whether it's a fad or not.
The point is -- IF it is a fad Beanie Babies) -- or the more susceptible it's longevity is to market/changing customer opinions (Frozen Yogurt) -- then the more vital it is that you know when it get out, sell or move on. On the other hand people will always need toilette paper and food -- and do SOMEthing to entertain themselves.)

The beeper guy made millions and sold (perhaps he saw the writing on the wall) -- but just because the business was gone in five years, don't mean the guy who bought it from him -- still didn't make money. Maybe he made one 1 million and then the road ran out.

I've never wanted to be an entrepreneur -- or landlord -- even though in this world those are ways to get mega rich.
BUT I am think that MAYBE in retirement -- I MIGHT -- do something VERY SMALL, VERY part-time on the side -- IF I can think of something that's worth giving up my 'retirement' time for. (IF I'm going to work much more than that, I might as well stay at the job I have, which pays well and would earn my even high Soc Sec.)

Old 10-03-2014, 08:53 PM

447 posts, read 743,176 times
Default fads

The most recent fad to die is owning a small cell phone. All the new models are bigger.

I'm waiting for parachute pants to return. They are just so cool with high top sneakers!

Old 10-04-2014, 01:12 AM

283 posts, read 349,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Man beepers must have been a great biz, I remember I used to have a beeper lol. Beanie babies was most definately a fad. Blockbuster I don't think was a fad, its just that technology changed and they didn't adapt to it or maybe there wasn't a way to adapt. How do you adapt a brick and mortar video store when the new technology is renting movies digitally directly from home. Basically by the time BB was in trouble it was too late, Netflix and Amazon had too much marketshare for them to try to get in. Had BB been forward thinking they would have been netflix or amazon.

They sort of half ass tried to compete by doing the netflix movies by mail thing but they were't as good and by that time netflix was getting away from physical dvd's and into streaming.
BB was in the toilet long before streaming on netflix.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:19 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylonggamer View Post
BB was in the toilet long before streaming on netflix.
BB did a terribe job of adapting to a new world which is why they went out.Steaming and digital content is what killed them though. They were doing bad before streaming but heck I think cable would allow you to buy movies through your box even before netflix. it was expensive but so was best buy so if i can buy a movie for a buck or two more and not have to go to the store, not have to return it, and not get late fees which were always inevidable for me I'm gonna do it. All that said as nice as it is to sit in front of your tv and select a movie without leaving the house I actually kinda miss going to blockbuster, it was kind of an experience whether you were a kid and your parents were taking you to blockbuster to pick out a movie when you were having a sleepover with friends or later in life taking a date or gf to blockbuster, browsing the isles picking out a movie, etc.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:30 PM

244 posts, read 362,062 times
I've recently joked about how my towns economy revolves around Froyo. There is this one block that has three Frozen Yogurt places. One of them just closed (the one that I liked the most...figures), leaving only one standing. That also doesn't include the Haagen Daz ice cream store that is on that same block.

Frozen Yogurt isn't really going anywhere, at least it will stick around as long as Ice Cream stores do. However, it is reasonable to assume that Froyo stores will die due to over saturation, which happens in any industry. Froyo might not be the "hot" thing like it is now, but it will probably become a staple of suburban and urban towns.

Crossfit I do think will likely die out, or it will change a lot. Crossfit really is not healthy, and is pretty pointless overall compared to other exercise genres. It will probably scale back and become very niche, not to mention Crossfit is incredibly expensive (and I don't see the price changing as crossfit won't become much bigger than it is now).

Old 10-05-2014, 07:04 AM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
I think "FroYo" got out of hand with all the toppings and the weigh in pricing concept. Start filling the bowl and suddenly you are at $7-8 and guess what......it isn't that healthy with cookies, candies and other nonsense mixed in with the yogurt! Some of that stuff really doesn't go together either, cold gummie bears are awful to eat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business