Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:45 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
hi,
assuming that someone is dissatisfied with a service provided by a store, and all negotiations have failed and the store is not willing to accept responsibility, is it 'legal' to stage a protest outside their store to let others know about what happened?

State: VA
Make sure it's not private property. It doesn't matter if the land is owned by the business owner or another company or party. If you decide to protest on a public sidewalk, as far as I know you can. However, be very careful you don't say anything that could be considered as slander.

Bottom line: It's not worth the risk of being sued. It's not worth your time. It's not worth your pride of standing in the sun like an idiot. It only costs around $75 to go to a small claims court. If that fee is too much, try to forget about what happened and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I think it's worth it if you can put how they did you wrong on one side of one sign.

Frankly, though, customer service everywhere has gotten so completely sh*tty, I'd be inclined to believe you at this point.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:52 AM

3 posts, read 101,580 times
It can work if you go about it the right way. be nice, smile at people who are going in the store. dont tell them what they should do unless they ask your advice. just let people know what happened and let them decide what they want to do. I protested outside a shop once. they would not give me a replacment on a item that wasnt working right. so i had the day off work anyway, so i had lost nothing but my own time and the feeling of "if i can save one other person from the same bad service" then that was great. it wasnt about the money, it was the fact that the shop didnt respect my rights. i dressed smart and didnt shout out dribble. In less then three hours i had at least 50 people say they would go elsewhere for their items. it only took three hours. the manager came out with a replacment and a full refund. It worked only because, 1. they didnt know how long i would keep it up for. ( i only planned to be there for 5 hour total but they didnt know that) 2. i didnt look like a crazzy (foil hat man lol) i had a shirt and tie, and spoke calm and politely. the item cost about £30 but i cost that company a load more with a loss of 50 people. they knew it had to stop, and they knew the price to make me go away. i would have been happy with either but got both. so it can work if its done right. and i didnt look a ****. (ok no more a **** looking)

Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 AM

ok i really didnt think the word i used was that bad at the end of my last post ??? how about i censor it myself (and i didnt look a tw*t.) Is that better? hope everyone stays safe and well.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,554,997 times
Keep in mind protesting is probably gonna' make the business change their ways. Which is gonna' help it be a better business.

Do you want to help that business or would you rather help others like it?

Instead of protesting and maybe looking foolish. Why not think positive by helping a different business in the same market that offers better service?

Old 02-10-2011, 02:40 PM

Theres nothing foolish about standing up for whats right. Also to protest is to get something to happen, whether its to get others to know what a company is like or to get the company to take your complaint as both very real and valid. Did anyone think i would give my custom to that company again? No they lost me the moment they left me with having to made that stance. Also it didnt stop there. everyone who went elsewhere as a result of my protest would have continued to go elsewhere and talked about it to one other person (or ten). Each of them would have given great thought about going to that store again, this would mean they would have gone elsewhere. one man and one protest cost in my veiw a large impact in money to that store. That was two years ago and they have since closed down. was it my protest? or was it the sevice they offered to all their customers? dont matter, if it was my protest then they didnt learn, i won my protest and got my rights defended.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:48 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Probably more effective to file a report with the BBB, send them a letter saying how you will tell all your friends and family, and give them a scathing review on Yelp or similar websites.
I agree with the others who said that if you're just out there with a sign, people will think you're a weirdo, and it might actually draw more business.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:56 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times
I'm going to bump this thread in hopes that someone could advise me. I was in an accident and ended up in a nursing home type situation completely helpless. They thought I was going to die so they left me in the bed and did no care; no oral care, no PT, etc... To make a long story short they let my beautiful teeth rot (I tried to sue but was unsuccessful; don't ask).

Well I recovered and got my life back but my teeth are shot and I'm now in a wheelchair. I am also living on disability. When I was able I decided to get my teeth fixed but couldn't afford it and found a dental clinic that helped poor people. I went to a dental clinic that charges $10 for every dental visit and I qualified to get my teeth fixed. I also had COBRA dental insurance from a job. I went for a few visits and everything seemed to go alright. I had to cancel the dental insurance due to not being able to pay it. They never charged me the $10 fee because they were charging my insurance but I figured it would be OK because I could still get my teeth fixed.

After I canceled the dental insurance I went in for an appointment and the head of the department came and told me that they could no longer see me because my case was too difficult. I was so shocked I was crying. He said his interns couldn't handle my case when in fact the intern I had was telling me it would take about 6 months and I needed to be patient but it would happen. So I wrote a complaint letter to them and received no response. I'm broke, I look horrible, I have no teeth, I have trouble speaking and I have trouble eating. This really weighs on me in many ways. I can't think of any other way but to protest with a sign in front of the dental building. Call the newspaper and let them know I'm going to be there and let it rip...what do you think?

Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 PM

32,633 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Are you serious? You won't pay them, you have no insurance, and you think you ought to protest because they don't give you 6 months of free work?

What's your sign going to say? These mean people won't give me dental work for free?

Old 04-05-2013, 03:18 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Are you serious? You won't pay them, you have no insurance, and you think you ought to protest because they don't give you 6 months of free work?

What's your sign going to say? These mean people won't give me dental work for free?

exactly
this is why when some nutbag is protesting outside of a business nobody pays attention to them and just thinks they should get a life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business