Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

You could almost feel the hackles rising in Detroit (and in Congress): According to recent reports, China's SAIC Motors has reached out to General Motors about buying a stake in the iconic American company when it goes public later this year.

SAIC -- sometimes referred to as Shanghai Auto ("SAIC" stands for Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation) -- is one of China's "Big Five" automakers, the companies that dominate much of the Chinese auto market.

Will the Chinese End Up Owning General Motors? (F, HMC, S, TM)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 06:17 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default HacKles? How is that possible?

The crown prince of the liberal media elite, Thomas Friedman, regularly write columns about how wonderful China is. Think of how they would transform Detroit--- shiny new sky scrapers, free high speed rail, orderly citizens because all the the bad guys would be taken out and buried secretly in rice paddies, no pesky baby girls because would starved death on the wrong side of the city limits, no annoying families with more than one kid because sterilizationsmare forced on everyone, no need for newspapers or Internet, all the good news would be presented to gullible foriegn visitors on white glove tours... Yep think how Detroot could be transformed into dandy place were the elite can sip Perrier and not have to look at fatso sucking down a burger.

Thomas L. Friedman / Too many hamburgers? China is forging the future while we stagnate and argue

(Pittsburg post gazette require no registration unlike fFriedman's home paper NYT..)

Now ol' Thomas claims he writes this stuff as a wale up call, but he does it so frequently / often that it really seems more an opportunity to say "what is so bad about Marxist dictatorship, heck I wish I could wield the kind of power that I would if were a Party Tool with official endorsement of Bejing instead merely being a party tool with seceret endorsement of the DNC".

Folks the voting for fall elections has started...

Old 11-13-2010, 04:10 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,863 times
Default SAIC (China's Largest Automaker) to Buy Part of GM

It looks like this will come to fruition. China’s biggest auto maker, SAIC Motor Corp., is close to finalizing a plan to buy a stake in General Motors, which is preparing for an initial public offering next week.

Chinese Plan to Buy Stake in GM - WSJ.com

Nothing particularly distressing about a foreign company purchasing shares of an American company by itself. What is interesting is the flow of events. The US government buys GM. In it's effort to sell some of it's stake, the Chinese come in to purchase shares. General Electric is to buy a lot of Volts. General Electric has interesting ties to our government.

There just seems to be a pattern developing.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:06 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
A Chinese company is buying a one percent stake in GM. ONE PERCENT.

Run for the hills! I'm going to get some tape and stand in front of the bathroom mirror seeing if I can tape my eyes to look Asian, that is obviously the only way to survive.

Need to work on my chop stick skills too.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
GM sales a lot of cars in China, being partially owned by Chinese individuals/companies is not a big deal at all.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:39 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The crown prince of the liberal media elite, Thomas Friedman, regularly write columns about how wonderful China is. Think of how they would transform Detroit--- shiny new sky scrapers, free high speed rail, orderly citizens because all the the bad guys would be taken out and buried secretly in rice paddies, no pesky baby girls because would starved death on the wrong side of the city limits, no annoying families with more than one kid because sterilizationsmare forced on everyone, no need for newspapers or Internet, all the good news would be presented to gullible foriegn visitors on white glove tours... Yep think how Detroot could be transformed into dandy place were the elite can sip Perrier and not have to look at fatso sucking down a burger.

Thomas L. Friedman / Too many hamburgers? China is forging the future while we stagnate and argue

(Pittsburg post gazette require no registration unlike fFriedman's home paper NYT..)

Now ol' Thomas claims he writes this stuff as a wale up call, but he does it so frequently / often that it really seems more an opportunity to say "what is so bad about Marxist dictatorship, heck I wish I could wield the kind of power that I would if were a Party Tool with official endorsement of Bejing instead merely being a party tool with seceret endorsement of the DNC".

Folks the voting for fall elections has started...
I don't see anything wrong with Friedman's criticism of the US. We ARE falling behind...our infrastructure is crumbling, our petty partisan fighting is dividing this nation into two, and our education system is failing. We are increasingly becoming a nation of self-centered, ignorant sheep who get their information from slick talking pundits with a single agenda. You've got the right-wing evangelical kooks who want to turn this country into a theocracy, and you have the left-wing environmental nuts who want to dictate what food we eat, where we live, and how we transport ourselves. Cable news like Fox and MSNBC spew sensationalist garbage rarely rooted in fact. Reason is being replaced with paranoia. Intelligence and education is frowned upon as being elitist. We are apathetic toward elections, especially younger generations. This country needs a wake up call.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,207 times
Chinese may got the money to buy GM, but they don't know how to run it. As a Chinese, everything I see in China is becoming worse. They can build skyscrapers one after one, but they can't rescue the people in a building less than 30 floors caught on fire. The fire in Shanghai 2 days ago causing 53 people dead, more remained unknown. I can't imagine what if this happens in your country, how people and government will react? Well it's not big deal in China, few people care about it except the families of the dead people, since we've heard so much about this kind of crap. The government will never let us know how many in fact are dead, not to mention their names. Everything is a mess to my point of view in China now. Most of you have already realized your country need a wake up call but China will never wake up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business