Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:26 PM

9 posts, read 14,703 times

Advertisements

Dallas Fair is a huge event and its the place to be for your business.. I know i just typed a ton of stuff.. But im passionate about business and I want folks to succeed. Be passionate about your business, willing to do what other bakeries wont, take moderate risk, always smile and always have free mini samples and a vibrant 4x6 post card with your business and telephone number on it.. Be willing to undercut the competition and throw in freebies. Work hard, dont give up and follow the above advice and i guarantee youll get there..

If you want.. private message me anytime.. Ill help no prob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 11:56 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,232,277 times
The first thing to do is contact your local health dept and tell them what you want to do. They can give you the information regarding legalities about whether you can bake at home (cheaper) or if you must rent a commercial space and about inspections. This will give you an idea of how cheaply you can start up and if the idea is feasible without getting into a big expense. The cheaper the better initially.

The Small Business Administration in the phone book has a unit called Score where you can contact retired business people to guide you. Ask if they have someone who has been in the food business before. This service is free and invaluable for a start-up.

Even if not a formal plan you should write one out that includes (what is necessary, how much for, and when due): business licenses and fees, structure of legal business entity (sole, partnership, Ccorp, SCorp), if needed Black beauty book w permission for check payment to employees, sales tax number to buy wholesale and for govt reports, accounting chart of accounts for income and outgo, all of which a first meeting with a business accountant can help you estimate costs and advise as to suitability. Do this right after calling the health dept. You'll also want to do a cash flow to show anticipated income and expenses by month which is called a 'proforma' and will be your best guess as to these figures and don't forget advertising costs (do some research). I would recommend a payroll service if you have employees which can save a lot of time and keep you out of trouble from missing filing deadlines and changing laws. Starting and maintaining a business is much more than just the product or service, it is complying with the govt who can close you down in short order if you don't comply. Keep a permanent calendar of when filings are due. Start small first.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:37 AM

24,333 posts, read 26,746,655 times
First thing you need to do before licenses or anything else is... can you get financing!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:16 AM

28 posts, read 123,962 times
There are plenty of books on the process of starting a business. Go to Amazon or some other book seller and browse the books pertaining to starting a small business.

Also contact your local SCORE office and meet with their counselors. They can be a tremendous help to entrepreneurs, largely because they are also entirely willing to tell you the facts in an objective manner. Seek the assistance of people that are objective because YOU are not objective when it comes to your own ambitions, and it may cause you to make serious mistakes.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:49 PM

30 posts, read 43,262 times
1. You are going to need business permits even if you are working out of your home. Check out City of St. Louis Government for info

2. You need to figure out your budget. Sounds simple but its the biggest factor of how big you can start and how you can grow. If you need a loan check out www.bankrate.com

3. Most important is marketing. How are people going to know you are open. Even if you have the best product in the world, you cant count on word of mouth until you are established. The paper, and online are good ways to advertise. I always like tradeshows. Checkout a reputable tradeshow company like Atlantic Exhibits: Trade Show Displays in Washington DC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Richmond or you could even get a big marketing company like Star Marketing | Advertising Agency | Los Angeles | Orange County | Southern California. Obv you have to be mindful of your budget. But dont skimp on advertising if you truely believe in your product/company. You HAVE to get the word out in the beginning.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business