U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 10-18-2010, 03:15 PM
1,830 posts, read 5,202,071 times
Reputation: 1577


Anyone know if The Tax Defenders is legit? They sound okay over the phone but..... their initial info packet asked for bank account info and they want a $2,000 retainer. I tried phoning them and the phone # isn't working. Also, the State of IL doesn't have their attorney "Joe Hanley" listed as an attorney in that state. Sounds very suspicious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 09:44 AM
10,135 posts, read 24,219,180 times
Reputation: 8324
These people are all crooks. The worst is "Tax Masters."

The IRS operates from a manual called the Internal Revenue Manual. If its in the manual you or they can do it, if its not you can't. Any good local CPA will be able to do everything these bozos can do for a fraction of the price by following the IRM. Be sure that the accountant you choose has familiarity with the IRM and the collection process.

If you paid a retainer to an attorney in Illinois, complain to the Illinois Supreme Court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Location: Stuck on the East Coast, hoping to head West
4,264 posts, read 9,890,975 times
Reputation: 8831
If I had tax issues, I would use either a CPA who specializes in tax or an an Enrolled Agent. If you don't know what an Enrolled Agent is go to naea.org --they have a good definition. Unenrolled practitioners (anyone other than a CPA, EA, or attorney) are extremely limited in what they can do for you regarding representation with the IRS.

If you are in a situation where you owe the IRS money, any person who decides to represent you is going to charge an upfront retainer to make sure they get paid. They'll also provide you with an engagement letter.

I'm not familiar with either of those organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2019, 12:02 PM
1 posts, read 413 times
Reputation: 10
Joe Hanley is not an attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top