Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 09:55 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,876 times

Advertisements

I think E-bay is kind of a necessary evil, I'm not a powerseller but do sell items from time to time. I also buy storage unit auctions so its an easy way to get rid of certain items.

I think Ebay has gone downhill though, they are charging more in fees and have some stupid policies where they now hold your money for a certain time, will only let you list a certain number of items in certain categories, etc.

My main beef with Ebay is they WAY over favor the buyer in disputes, normally it winds up with the buyer keeping your item and the money if things go bad on a transaction.

My question was for local pickup items. With local pickup or delivery me as the seller has no proof the buyer got the item. For this reason I'd like to deal with cash but recently got a buyer who said they would only pay paypal. I explained this will cost me an extra $15 in fees, b/c of paypals stupid withdrwawl policies I can only take out $500 a month and also told them my problem abuot me having no proof of delivery. Buyer is being difficult saying they only pay with paypal even though the item is a table so they dont really need paypal protections like you would with an electronics item or something. I told them check out the table if your not happy you dont have to buy it no hard feelings.

My issue is paypal forces you to accept paypal for pickujp items. Is there any way for me to have proof of delivery. I thoguht of having the buyer sign something saying I delivered it but ebay and paypal have basically no customer service just automated emails they send out so even if the buyer did say they didnt get it and I had a signed piece of paper sayign they did there is no way I could ever get that paper to paypal.

Sorry for the long rant but just curious if anyone has suggestions on how to deal with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 01:10 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,403 times
Never accept PayPal for a high dollar item when the buyer picks it up. Like a car, or furniture. The most I do is accept a small down payment via PayPal and then the rest in money order or cashiers check on pickup. Reason is, the buyer can just snatch it back (chargeback) whenever he wants and you're out a large amount of $$. And there is no seller protection with Pick-up only items.

Quote:
My issue is paypal forces you to accept paypal for pickujp items.
Not true. eBay allows paper of transactions on local pickup items as long as it is selected in the auction listing. It's under the shipping choices.

If you accept a paper transaction, at least you can make a copy and have a physical record that the buyer bought the item and paid for it.
If they decide to scam you, though, there's not much you can do about it. eBay and PayPal will side with the buyer most of the time.

There is no Seller Protection at eBay.
PayPal has limited Seller Protection, but only if the goods are purchased with PayPal and can be shipped. Here is a link to their policy FAQ
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?c...faq#id7_header

So, I know it's not good news, but at least you know what you are up against.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:05 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
You can lift the paypal 500.00 per month withdraw limit several ways.

Look into how you can eliminate the limit by adding a credit card, bank etc and the limit with be removed.

I seldom ever meet with anyone but when I do I have someone with me.

When I do I tell them ahead of time that I will have you sign a document that you are meeting with me to pick up the item and that it will state you picked it up and are satisfied with it.

I scan the document to save it just in case the buyer files a dispute for any reason and I have my signed letter ready for them.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:58 PM

66 posts, read 141,160 times
I would be leery of this. It seems weird to me that the buyer doesn't want to pay you in cash. Honestly, my family and I sold several high dollar items on craigslist and every person paid in cash (this was in San Antonio). We even sold our furniture for $700 (asked for 8 and she haggled us, but we were happy) and she went and got the cash for it. We sold an entertainment center for $300, got cash, a bedroom set for $500 and got cash, etc. We sold a table for $280 and got cash. So if all those people could give us cash, this person should be able to give you cash.

If the guy is picking up the table, I don't understand why he has to use paypal. I use ebay for smaller items, but do look into the classifieds from time to time (never as active as craigslist) but I don't see any point in someone needing to pay with paypal for a local pickup. Sounds like they are trying to attempt something funny, IMHO. I could be paranoid, but I would proceed with caution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business