U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 PM

5,656 posts, read 17,742,374 times

Advertisements

Ditto on the doggie gear - I know I spend $$ on the vendors that are at the dogs shows that always have those cool dog accessories! And you can sell this stuff online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,198,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
No because the real good ones go to dog shows with Westminster the Best.
Most do it for love of the breed and health of the breed. Most puppies
do not ever meet the show dog requirement. If they do, some just do not
wish that life. So a good breeder then does offer them as a pet. With a
signed neuter or spay agreement. Older dogs get good homes and you sign
an agreement if you can't care for the dog it goes back to the breeder! That is a breeder who cares for each dog!
Yes but the percentage of all the breeders out there who go to the Westminster is probably what 1% if that.

I agree most good breeders probably do get involved in shows, agility contests, or somethign to showcase their breed but its not like every breeder out there is going to westminster

Old 03-03-2011, 09:51 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,644,467 times
1. Very few breeders go to Westminster.

2. there is so much more than conformation or entering your dog in a beauty contest.

3. Your not going to make any money your going to loose money. (read that again)

4. It's not something you just jump in to.

5. Why would someone want to buy from you?
Do you have the best dogs?
Do you have experience?
Do you already know all of the things that you will have to do to compete in this industry?

6. Are you already active in the Dog world.

7. You will need more that one b!y@h
that is a champion. Not just a ack reg.
to make money.

8, For a novice you will make more money picking up cans along the road.

9. Do you have a reputable breeder who is willing to help you?

10 What are the pups going to be sold for? $250-$500?
Hint, until you can get 5k and up for your pups you will lose money in the long run and lots of it..

Can it be done sure, I make a lot of money but I spend a lot of money too.

Take a guess how much $$$ it takes to take a dog from a whelp to being a champion?

On a final note these are animals not machines.
there are go guarantees. They could get sick and die or not produce high quality offspring.

It takes 2 years to get your OFA cert so until then you really don't know if you even have a dog that should be used in a breeding program.
You still have to train them, take then to meets or to cough cough the show ring.

bottom line is if your doing this to make some pocket money your doing it for all of the wrong reasons.
You do it because you love dogs and you have a deep desire to better the breed.

PS the shelters are full of dogs from backyard breeders, don't become part of the proublem.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,644,467 times
One more thing, a warranty.

Have you given this any thought as to what to do if a pup/dog is returned to you?
What are you going to do with this dog?
Do you have the room to take care of them?

This gets to be a very emotional for your client as the standard warranty is to replace the dog with one that is of equal or greater value while they surender the dog with the defect.

What if the dog has a defect and they want to keep it? Be alert as some will try to pull a scam on you.

Then you have the cost of spay/ neuter and
rehoming

Old 03-03-2011, 03:37 PM

125 posts, read 388,706 times
I have to chime in here and agree with what has been said. I grew up in a breeders house...my mother breed dogs it took her years to have a "nice" kennel with many American/Canadian champions (no Westminster wins either)She did it because of a love of the breed (Papillions) and her interest in genetics. We loved the dogs ( I was the cheap help- you need help to run a kennel) but she made it clear this was her hobby (yes, it COST her money) and if a dog/b**ch was not show/breed worthy it found a new home (complete with shots and sprayed/neutered on HER dime) She did not charge for "pets" and made many visits and then kept in touch to make sure there was no abuse. It is a 24/365 gig! Physical, emotional and costly. I love dogs! When my husband and I can move and by a home with some land we would like to take in shelter dogs. Maybe you can save some lives and follow the suggestion of making garments and selling the garments. Use the money to buy food etc.... There are A LOT of puppy mills out there.......PLEASE dont become part of the problem!

Old 08-11-2011, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,885 times
If a person that started breeding last year and due to the economy was not able to sell all pups, and was not able to keep them due to regulations, city codes, etc... and gave them away free to good homes, they can not write off the potential loss, correct? Only the expenses used for upkeep, veternarians, etc. Please don't snicker... this really is a question that my client has asked and I need to verify with someone knowledable in the dog breeding world. Thank you.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:02 PM

4,948 posts, read 17,043,752 times
way back I do guess I did post and got a rep point why I will write this:
Yes, when I was small a puppy or kitten was my dream, even now a dog.
Yes I do have one and she will be 13 soon and I did research her breeder well. Another breeder of this breed does
all her so called homework for the dog and did have great litters with homes.

However, it his costly and she does it and has the room and vet cares them and one puppy was born with one
limb gone. some would not give this guy a chance however a good breeder does and cheap noway.
also county and city laws you need to factor into this maze.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:14 PM

4,948 posts, read 17,043,752 times
Default Maybe the tax code

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelaira View Post
If a person that started breeding last year and due to the economy was not able to sell all pups, and was not able to keep them due to regulations, city codes, etc... and gave them away free to good homes, they can not write off the potential loss, correct? Only the expenses used for upkeep, veternarians, etc. Please don't snicker... this really is a question that my client has asked and I need to verify with someone knowledable in the dog breeding world. Thank you.
anyone with knowledge in the dog world mostly does have buyers for the dogs. They also never give them free and you do pay. I really am not sure the tax code allows for a vet write off. Since we ourself
can not without a real high deductable. Best to talk to an irs person and get what can and can't be.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:31 PM

16,842 posts, read 10,098,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
I'm trying to make a transition for employee to self-employed. I have had some small success at running my on biz,but it was all unofficial. By that I mean not having all the rights, liscences, and strong knowledge of the laws of business. So to do so I plan creating a small hands-on business study that won't have me jumping off a building if I fail. Sooo...dog breeding? I figure that's something easy to learn the process. Plus, I can escape very easily because I love dogs anyway and Ill just keep em or give em to the family

Speak on this!!!!
Since you asked....

Have you considered buying or leasing appropriate property for a doggie motel? Maybe offering doggie day-care, like our vet does. We traveled from time to time and found only a handful of decent places for our Shih Tzu. But when we found one we stuck with them! The extra cost was worth it, in our eyes.

It's a little more complicated than it first appears, but if you can get a start I believe it is a good, low overhead, steady business.......Maybe?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:11 PM

19,971 posts, read 19,836,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
I'm trying to make a transition for employee to self-employed. I have had some small success at running my on biz,but it was all unofficial. By that I mean not having all the rights, liscences, and strong knowledge of the laws of business. So to do so I plan creating a small hands-on business study that won't have me jumping off a building if I fail. Sooo...dog breeding? I figure that's something easy to learn the process. Plus, I can escape very easily because I love dogs anyway and Ill just keep em or give em to the family

Speak on this!!!!
Most dog breeders do it during retirement because you are lucky to make pocket change. You should post this in the dogs forum and you'll hear from people. It's not a good business to get into, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business