U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2013, 09:05 PM
 
2 posts, read 5,366 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
If you've never had any experience with working for a breeder, working for a vet, etc you have no business breeding dogs.

I bought my dog from a breeder so I'm not one of these animal nazis who are gonna scream at you not to breed dogs b/c there's too many strays but at the same time you shoudln't be breeding if you dont have a clue what your doing.

Breeding dogs really isn't that profitable to where it can be a full time business for most people. Sure you see english bulldogs going for a few grand and yorkies and all that. If you wanna be a puppy mill who breeds unhealthy dogs and has the mothers having litters every year which isn't healthy you can make more but thats not a right thing to do, your not breeding helathy dogs, etc.

Even if you have the best of intentions you just dont know what your doing. A good breeder will have dogs tested for a variety of things so your not breeding sick dogs, dogs with weak hips, etc. I dont really understand the ins and outs but genetics get worse and worse down the line if your not breeding healthy dogs.

Go on a real website with breeders and you'll see what nasty emails you get calling you names and calling you an idiot and though thats not nice htey are right. YOu mosst likely have no business breeding dogs.

If you really want to get into this work with a breeder, get a job at a vet, etc. Afte ryou have some experience maybe try it out. Keep in mind you most likely wont make a full time income if your breeding healthy dogs the way you should. Side money yes, business no.

Actually, people likes to put others down for breeding.. Just because you want to breed, does not mean that this person is someone who would breed unhealthy pets or being a backyard breeder.. Just because you may get a puppy off of an individual...like someone online saying they are a professional breeder does not mean they are a professional breeder just because they have an ad or whatever online. Anyone can post a page online... and does not mean they are a repatable breeder. As for having to have pets tested and so forth.. Do you actually think that people back then tested animals...the same way as human beings? I guess a human being should be tested before they have sex and be mated.. Ones that say that others have no business on breeding, more than likely don't have the right whatsoever.. Or maybe this person is just afraid to take their business away.. You don't have to be a vet, or work in a shelter or whatever to be a breeder. In my opinion , if you have pets and they become pregnant, I don't see nothing wrong with it, if you are taking care of them the best you can and are not mistreating them. People say that you need to have shots and so forth for the animals you breed.. But what people do not know is that alot of the shots are killing animals and having allergetic reactions. I, myself have breed my pets. They are golden retrievers. I don't do it for gain. I allow my pets to get pregnant for the simple reason.. I think that many breeders out here asks an arm and leg for a pet and I don't ask much for mine.. Only for them to have good loving homes and that someone else out there can have one too. I don't give my pets veternarian shots anymore, for I have had puppies die and have bad allergetic reactions to the shots. They lost their hair and got bad rashes upon their bodies.. Now vets know everything, don't they. I use herbal, holistic medicines for my puppies to be treated and prevented from getting diseases that shots are supposed to prevent. Heck, people say that, if you give the puppies shots, they won't get a disease.. That is a bunch of pooh if you ask me on that one. I have bought a puppy and she had all of her shots and she died.

People also thinks that is is wrong to have dogs and breed them all the time and not give them a break. Well the truth is on that.. That is not correct. Dogs who are stopped from breeding can get pymetra and die from it. Dogs in the wild had litters upon litters and never died and were not stopped to have a litter. I did what I was told to do.. allow my dog to have a litter and then not allow her to get pregnant the next time she came in heat. She died from pymetra. For the reason was because I neglected to breed her.

So, as for this person should not be breeding because she didn't work with a vet or whatever is about as stupid as the people who says that dumb saying. If you know about the breed and loves animals with all your heart and treats them well and does all you can and reads up on what to expect.. then go for it.. Just be careful of whom you sell your animals to.. there are alot of weirdos out there. People sometimes sells theirs for too cheap.Others are just selling theirs for gain. Be someone who is not just out for gain and just loves to do it and make other people happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2013, 02:10 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,118 times
Reputation: 10
Hi, I live in the UK. My husband and myself are going to be starting a Dog Breeding Business BUT we have already contacted the kennel Club in the UK and will be attending their seminars.

We are not in it for the money, do not need to be! We are doing it for the love of the breed.

If a recession kicks in in the future, then the pups would continue to live with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Fort Payne Alabama
1,593 posts, read 1,806,655 times
Reputation: 2953
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmicne View Post
Actually, people likes to put others down for breeding.. Just because you want to breed, does not mean that this person is someone who would breed unhealthy pets or being a backyard breeder.. Just because you may get a puppy off of an individual...like someone online saying they are a professional breeder does not mean they are a professional breeder just because they have an ad or whatever online. Anyone can post a page online... and does not mean they are a repatable breeder. As for having to have pets tested and so forth.. Do you actually think that people back then tested animals...the same way as human beings? I guess a human being should be tested before they have sex and be mated.. Ones that say that others have no business on breeding, more than likely don't have the right whatsoever.. Or maybe this person is just afraid to take their business away.. You don't have to be a vet, or work in a shelter or whatever to be a breeder. In my opinion , if you have pets and they become pregnant, I don't see nothing wrong with it, if you are taking care of them the best you can and are not mistreating them. People say that you need to have shots and so forth for the animals you breed.. But what people do not know is that alot of the shots are killing animals and having allergetic reactions. I, myself have breed my pets. They are golden retrievers. I don't do it for gain. I allow my pets to get pregnant for the simple reason.. I think that many breeders out here asks an arm and leg for a pet and I don't ask much for mine.. Only for them to have good loving homes and that someone else out there can have one too. I don't give my pets veternarian shots anymore, for I have had puppies die and have bad allergetic reactions to the shots. They lost their hair and got bad rashes upon their bodies.. Now vets know everything, don't they. I use herbal, holistic medicines for my puppies to be treated and prevented from getting diseases that shots are supposed to prevent. Heck, people say that, if you give the puppies shots, they won't get a disease.. That is a bunch of pooh if you ask me on that one. I have bought a puppy and she had all of her shots and she died.

People also thinks that is is wrong to have dogs and breed them all the time and not give them a break. Well the truth is on that.. That is not correct. Dogs who are stopped from breeding can get pymetra and die from it. Dogs in the wild had litters upon litters and never died and were not stopped to have a litter. I did what I was told to do.. allow my dog to have a litter and then not allow her to get pregnant the next time she came in heat. She died from pymetra. For the reason was because I neglected to breed her.

So, as for this person should not be breeding because she didn't work with a vet or whatever is about as stupid as the people who says that dumb saying. If you know about the breed and loves animals with all your heart and treats them well and does all you can and reads up on what to expect.. then go for it.. Just be careful of whom you sell your animals to.. there are alot of weirdos out there. People sometimes sells theirs for too cheap.Others are just selling theirs for gain. Be someone who is not just out for gain and just loves to do it and make other people happy.
Is this post for real?? If so, people like this are one of the reasons so many animals end up in shelters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 09:33 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,067 times
Reputation: 10
Default Sorry but dogs are the same as any other animal

Hello I have bred dogs for four years now. I got the idea after seeing a family members neighbors raising dogs and that was were the idea started and turned into reality. Truth is you can make a lot of profit. I've always raised large dogs and sold them to the public through puppy finder and local sites. I bought my first female for 700$ and paid 200$ for a stud fee and had 6 puppies, them keep the two females and sold the four others for 500$. The main female had more pups and I keep the females and ect. In the mean time the first batch were ready to breed and if the market ever became saturated with my breeds ill just lower my prices. But so far I keep popping them out and they keep selling so the way I see it it'll turn from side money to main money. It's as easy as 123. Just mentally side track the crazy PETA people and do what makes financial sense. Oh yeah almost forgot the vacs, and genetic testing all that is bulll****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 PM
LLN
 
Location: Upstairs closet
5,085 posts, read 9,153,349 times
Reputation: 6626
I think breeding, for the reasons cited above, would be great, but you would not make much money. You would need a bed in the birthing room to sleep when the mommy is having her puppies. You would need some sort of favorable arrangement with a vet. You cannot possibly pay retail, you would either go broke, or not be able to sell your pups. You can't do it in retirement, or at least start it, cause it takes a lot of energy.

You need to talk with vets, but more importantly, talk with and visit good, professional breeders to understand the business. Again, I think it would be awesomely rewarding, but not real profitable.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 03:26 PM
 
4,948 posts, read 17,027,978 times
Reputation: 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
This was my point exactly, if your properly breeding dogs, testing, breeding according to whatever timeline is appropriate and not just popping dogs out for $$$ there's probably little if any profit.

I woudl assume most good breeders look at it as a hobby that pays for itself.
A hobby no way since most need a so called real job to pay bills. They also need to go to dog show oh well it is hard work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 03:29 PM
 
4,948 posts, read 17,027,978 times
Reputation: 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreeder123 View Post
Hello I have bred dogs for four years now. I got the idea after seeing a family members neighbors raising dogs and that was were the idea started and turned into reality. Truth is you can make a lot of profit. I've always raised large dogs and sold them to the public through puppy finder and local sites. I bought my first female for 700$ and paid 200$ for a stud fee and had 6 puppies, them keep the two females and sold the four others for 500$. The main female had more pups and I keep the females and ect. In the mean time the first batch were ready to breed and if the market ever became saturated with my breeds ill just lower my prices. But so far I keep popping them out and they keep selling so the way I see it it'll turn from side money to main money. It's as easy as 123. Just mentally side track the crazy PETA people and do what makes financial sense. Oh yeah almost forgot the vacs, and genetic testing all that is bulll****.
why I never would buy a poor puppy from you others may! large dogs get bad hips and you just happy go lucky breed to sell how sad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 03:32 PM
 
4,948 posts, read 17,027,978 times
Reputation: 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
I'm trying to make a transition for employee to self-employed. I have had some small success at running my on biz,but it was all unofficial. By that I mean not having all the rights, liscences, and strong knowledge of the laws of business. So to do so I plan creating a small hands-on business study that won't have me jumping off a building if I fail. Sooo...dog breeding? I figure that's something easy to learn the process. Plus, I can escape very easily because I love dogs anyway and Ill just keep em or give em to the family

Speak on this!!!!
love a dog leave it to people who care and it is hard work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,919 posts, read 2,140,145 times
Reputation: 2450
Quote:
this are one of the reasons so many animals end up in shelters.
The flipside argument is that breeders continue the bloodline of various breeds. Somebody has to breed dogs otherwise we'd have nothing but mutts. When was the last time you saw a pure bred lab or golden retriever at a shelter?

More Labradors! Continue the Labrador bloodline.

Having said that, if I bred dogs I would not do it for profit. I think it's unethical to charge more than the cost of raising them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,496 posts, read 5,461,286 times
Reputation: 7528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
The flipside argument is that breeders continue the bloodline of various breeds. Somebody has to breed dogs otherwise we'd have nothing but mutts. When was the last time you saw a pure bred lab or golden retriever at a shelter?

More Labradors! Continue the Labrador bloodline.

Having said that, if I bred dogs I would not do it for profit. I think it's unethical to charge more than the cost of raising them.
Yeah, we need more labradors being bred because there are only 17,258 of them currently listed on Petfinder. Now I'll grant you that a great many of those listed are lab mixes but there are plenty of purebred ones too. Over the past 8 years or so I've adopted 6 senior black labs, all either from the pound or my humane society.

There are only two kinds of breeders - the ones who strive to improve the breed via careful, knowledgeable choices of dogs who have been tested for genetic disorders, etc. and then there are the others. Call them puppy millers or back yard breeders, they are all more or less pimps, just in it for the money and don't give a damn about what happens to the dog after the sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top