U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 06:52 AM

4,004 posts, read 4,932,602 times

Advertisements

I havn't even read the replies but I have no doubt you will get a lot of strongly opinionated posts telling you you dont have a clue what you are doing donttry it.

It's true though, there's too many backyard breeders. Also, unless your one of the few people out there raising showquality dogs there really isn't much money in breeding dogs, even if you have yorkies or bulldogs or some really expensive dog. I'm also doubting you have any veternary skills which most breeders and rescue owners know how to giveshots and do other basic vet type things which you will have to pay for.

I think most breeders are hobby breeders and probably spend more money raising dogs than they make. If you love animals and want a career involving them maybe do dogwalking or daycare orsomething.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 04:55 PM

580 posts, read 645,920 times
I would end up owning 425984358 dogs. Wouldn't be able to sell the cute pups.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,336 posts, read 58,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny_Steps View Post
Hi, I live in the UK. My husband and myself are going to be starting a Dog Breeding Business BUT we have already contacted the kennel Club in the UK and will be attending their seminars.

We are not in it for the money, do not need to be! We are doing it for the love of the breed.

If a recession kicks in in the future, then the pups would continue to live with us.
As are almost all of the good breeders. A good friend bred Alaskan Malamutes for many years and the net income was far in the negative. The sales of puppies was not nearly enough to cover the cost of attending dog shows, the gas and payments on the motor home to get to the dog shows, dog food and kennels, and vet bills.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:11 PM

20 posts, read 44,255 times
There is NOTHING easy to learn about the process of a successful dog breeding facility. NOTHING.

First, let's say you buy two females & a male. Let's just say this is where you're going to start. You should expect (depending upon the breed) to spend around $3,000 per dog in this start-up trio. But wait, before you buy that trio you've got some work to do, serious work. Some of the most serious you can do. You must figure out what breed you are going to work with. You need to really love the breed for what you're about to go through. Next you have to research health issues within that breed. Next you need to find a breeder who is running all necessary testing: hips, elbows, cardio, eyes, thyroid, von Willebrands disease (that's a bleeding disorder), MDR-1 (in Collie type breeds). Next you need to learn if there are any particular color related issues (for instance there are complications in the Doberman breed with 2 of the 4 colors that CAN occur, in Collies or other breeds that have the merle gene, you can't breed a male & female that are both merle or it's a death sentence to the future puppies). You'll be hard pressed to find a breed who has no issues. Next you need to look at the pedigrees. You need to know the very special breeding dogs in your particular breed, you need to insure that those three start up dogs you want aren't related & you also need to understand the pedigrees so that you're improving upon the dogs you have... not just farming dogs.

Okay so let's say you do this. You do all the homework. You develop your business plan. You research the breeds & their breeders. You find a breeder who is doing the genetic & health testing that is important to YOUR success. You understand about color issues, about the breed quirks & you purchase a female puppy. SHE has to go through all the same health testing. She has to pass all those tests with good hips, elbows, cardio, etc... next she has to grow up to have all the proper conformation. You will need to condition her (exercise), tend to her coat & be certain she's the top of the breed. So you purchase a male puppy & another female. No worries, you're thinking, you'll just buy adult dogs. Guess what, they have to go through all the tests, they have to pass both conformation, health, temperament testing. Then & only then will you discover that one or two... maybe all three have issues. The first female may be a little small for the breed standard. The male's temperament isn't just right & the 2nd female is close to cutting muster. Then if by chance you use the 2nd female for breeding & pay stud fee. You have a beautiful litter of puppies but within 30 days you get the first call that one or two of the puppies have a medical condition that is genetic. Now you have a bigger problem. Unless you were wise & left the money from the puppies safely in the bank until they reach an age where none of them can come back on you for health issues, you have to refund all or part of the money... all the while praying it's not going to affect the whole litter. Even with all the medical testing in the world, sometimes genetics are like that.

I raised dogs myself. I spent a lifetime learning from my parents & their breeder friends. I'm not just talking a show breeder's "line". I raised working dogs. I had some of the top bloodlines in my respective breed. I could have easily had a fancy sports car completely paid for in what it cost me in losses & medical bills. I had dogs with all the testing done on the parents yet... dogs who developed genetic related problems. I easily could have put myself through college on what it cost me to become a professional dog trainer (you don't have to do the things I did but I wanted to learn & I wanted to be very good). Training has its own issues but breeding dogs can be a joyous thing but it can also be a pure nightmare PLUS anyone who tells you it's a money making venture is either lying (& laughing behind your back) or they haven't had enough time working with dogs to discover just how unprofitable it is. Even if 95% of your puppies only go into pet homes, the breeder isn't going to make a fortune. Enough sometimes to justify doing the thing they love. I am lucky. Training the dogs was always my first love. I chose to breed very very few litters & that was due to the fact that I was using exceptional dogs that I'd raised myself & wanted to keep from the litters myself. I am considering taking a female I have now to the show ring to prove her there, she's already proven herself in the field as a working dog. She's already passed all her medical testing. Very easily I have $6,500 invested in my four footed best friend. With nothing in the earnings or return column. If I looked at this as a business her first litter likely wouldn't even break us even concerning $. Lucky for my dogs win, lose or fail they're with me for life & I don't see them as a business. When & if we ever have a litter it will be because I want a pup from this dog (& her mate) & I also know I could go to her breeder & buy another pup for FAR cheaper than I could go through all of this to breed my own.

PLEASE think very hard on what I've shared with you. I'm not exaggerating or making this up. I have absolutely nothing against someone who breeds to create health & happy puppies for people to have as pets (I know many people think that's a sin) but the fact is anyone who breeds should put the pet owner in mind first & if you get a jackpot by having some show quality pups, then let's party & the genetic God's have smiled on you but having said that you must understand raising dogs are not like raising cattle or goats. Truly if you want to have a business rearing animals, raise goats, raise pet rabbits, raise fish. Dogs require a great deal of time, dedication, money & hardness in a breeder. You can raise chickens & sell the eggs, sell chickens for meat purposes or sell extra hens as layers for others who want chickens. It's not without risk either but it's going to yield a profit that dogs will never. "Dog business" is a labor of love or it's not worth doing but those of us who have been in the trenches hear something like what you've said & we laugh hysterically & think "here we go again".

Seriously, think about chickens. When you sell eggs you can put out your spread sheet & have a profit. You don't get eggs back with a genetic defect or temperament problems (likely caused by bad handling after the pup has left you). You don't get someone who calls you back with a year old egg & says, "I want to return this egg for bad behavior & get a new egg from you." That HAPPENS with puppies!

Old 03-27-2017, 09:15 PM

44,269 posts, read 55,571,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisiana'sLegend2 View Post
I'm trying to make a transition for employee to self-employed. I have had some small success at running my on biz,but it was all unofficial. By that I mean not having all the rights, liscences, and strong knowledge of the laws of business. So to do so I plan creating a small hands-on business study that won't have me jumping off a building if I fail. Sooo...dog breeding? I figure that's something easy to learn the process. Plus, I can escape very easily because I love dogs anyway and Ill just keep em or give em to the family

Speak on this!!!!
Yes.

Then you should race horses.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:08 AM

24,638 posts, read 32,267,360 times
I've raised show dogs. It is a very expensive hobby. I met lots of nice people and spent a lot of money. There is no profit in it, but I collected some nice little ribbons and certificates showing the dogs had won titles.

The puppy mills make money because they buy or steal the cheapest breeding stock, sometimes not even purebred. They keep their dogs in small cages and save money by not cleaning and not paying for decent food or vet care and they don't waste money on things like flea treatment.

They don't spend money on health testing or temperament testing because they don't care whether or not the buyer gets a healthy puppy with good temperament. All they care is whether or not the check clears the bank.

Also, they breed their ******* every heat cycle, which would be twice a year, every year from the very first heat cycle (about 8 months old) until she dies of exhaustion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business