Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:31 AM

420 posts, read 478,967 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to make a transition for employee to self-employed. I have had some small success at running my on biz,but it was all unofficial. By that I mean not having all the rights, liscences, and strong knowledge of the laws of business. So to do so I plan creating a small hands-on business study that won't have me jumping off a building if I fail. Sooo...dog breeding? I figure that's something easy to learn the process. Plus, I can escape very easily because I love dogs anyway and Ill just keep em or give em to the family

Speak on this!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 05:12 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
I'm trying to make a transition for employee to self-employed. I have had some small success at running my on biz,but it was all unofficial. By that I mean not having all the rights, liscences, and strong knowledge of the laws of business. So to do so I plan creating a small hands-on business study that won't have me jumping off a building if I fail. Sooo...dog breeding? I figure that's something easy to learn the process. Plus, I can escape very easily because I love dogs anyway and Ill just keep em or give em to the family

Speak on this!!!!
If you've never had any experience with working for a breeder, working for a vet, etc you have no business breeding dogs.

I bought my dog from a breeder so I'm not one of these animal nazis who are gonna scream at you not to breed dogs b/c there's too many strays but at the same time you shoudln't be breeding if you dont have a clue what your doing.

Breeding dogs really isn't that profitable to where it can be a full time business for most people. Sure you see english bulldogs going for a few grand and yorkies and all that. If you wanna be a puppy mill who breeds unhealthy dogs and has the mothers having litters every year which isn't healthy you can make more but thats not a right thing to do, your not breeding helathy dogs, etc.

Even if you have the best of intentions you just dont know what your doing. A good breeder will have dogs tested for a variety of things so your not breeding sick dogs, dogs with weak hips, etc. I dont really understand the ins and outs but genetics get worse and worse down the line if your not breeding healthy dogs.

Go on a real website with breeders and you'll see what nasty emails you get calling you names and calling you an idiot and though thats not nice htey are right. YOu mosst likely have no business breeding dogs.

If you really want to get into this work with a breeder, get a job at a vet, etc. Afte ryou have some experience maybe try it out. Keep in mind you most likely wont make a full time income if your breeding healthy dogs the way you should. Side money yes, business no.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:34 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
Most good breeders breed not for money but to better the breed. The profit if before you breed
you do the health testing leaves not a profit. There are way too many unwanted pets due
to this economy. Think and realized people may not wish to buy. Dogs require mega care and vet bills.
My dog came from a groom and the wait time etc. was around 4 hours. Anyway she looks great.
Dogs are not a business but an effort of love and that takes Money and Love.

Last edited by maggiekate; 03-01-2011 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 05:47 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Most good breeders breed not for money but to better the breed. The profit if before you breed
you do the health testing leaves not a profit. There are way too many unwanted pets due
to this economy. Think and realized people may not wish to buy. Dogs require mega care and vet bills.
My dog came from a groom and the wait time etc. was around 4 hours. Anyway she looks great.
This was my point exactly, if your properly breeding dogs, testing, breeding according to whatever timeline is appropriate and not just popping dogs out for $$$ there's probably little if any profit.

I woudl assume most good breeders look at it as a hobby that pays for itself.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Yeah, you only get the $$$$ for your dogs if you show them as well. (or have them shown by a professional handler) Then you get big money from the stud fees, etc. That is IF they are show winners, and it is hard work to get a dog that is good enough to win best in show and all that. I currently show my dog, it is very difficult to do this yourself, esp. when you are competing against the big money international winners and people that have been doing it for decades.
You would have to look into it as a VERY VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS.
I know, I am in a breed specific club and know what these breeders go through. They all have guarantees that their dogs they sell never go to a pound. If the people you sell to, have lifestyle changes/circumstance change, a good breeder will ALWAYS take their dogs back. Are you prepared to do that? And they test the pups before they sell them, if they come up with a genetic defect, they neuter/spay the dog.
Also, you need to check the zoning for your area. Many places only have a 3 dog max allowed.
Being a backyard breeder is just no good!!! I know a person who runs a breed specific rescue and many are backyard breeder surrenders that are health nightmares because the backyard breeder did not do the required genetic testing before breeding. These poor surrendered dogs then require thousands of dollars for surgeries - which of course, the rescue group pays for!
There are definitely easier ways to make money!!!!!!

Last edited by gardener34; 03-01-2011 at 06:03 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 05:57 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
Breeding is hard work. You have the parent dogs to care for, the birth while hoping nothing goes wrong, the vaccinations, the claws, bathing puppies, taking care of any who might have problems, cleaning up after the puppies, feeding puppies which leads to more bathing and mopping the floor, whining and barking. It's a lot of time, money and worry.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
This was my point exactly, if your properly breeding dogs, testing, breeding according to whatever timeline is appropriate and not just popping dogs out for $$$ there's probably little if any profit.

I woudl assume most good breeders look at it as a hobby that pays for itself.
No because the real good ones go to dog shows with Westminster the Best.
Most do it for love of the breed and health of the breed. Most puppies
do not ever meet the show dog requirement. If they do, some just do not
wish that life. So a good breeder then does offer them as a pet. With a
signed neuter or spay agreement. Older dogs get good homes and you sign
an agreement if you can't care for the dog it goes back to the breeder! That is a breeder who cares for each dog!

Last edited by maggiekate; 03-01-2011 at 06:54 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 06:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
If you are going to become a breeder you need to be fully dedicated to the breed, the sport of showing, and producing the healthiest dogs possible by completing all health testing. All health testing is listed on the OFFA website by breed so you know what tests are recommended. Before doing this, I would find a reputable breeder who also shows dogs in your area. You can do this by calling the breed club and contacting a member on the health committee. Before you ever decide to breed, you need to find a mentor. There is no point in doing this job alone. We have mentors who are veterinarians that do all the health testing and register the results for everyone to see in the OFFA database. Just like others have said, you are lucky to break even with most breeds unless you show and the point of having a mentor is so that you can partner with them. It is an expensive sport/hobby so many reputable breeders get together and show each others dogs, pitch in for all the entry fees, and travel costs. If anyone readily gives you or sells you a dog to breed, you are not getting that mentor relationship.

Although there is overpopulation, reputable breeders do not breed for money, they breed because they love the breed, want to further it and produce the healthiest representation for the breed possible. It is a tough sport and believe me, the majority of the breeders in the show world are not great ones but it shows a lot of integrity to overcome that and do breeding and showing for the right reasons. Good Luck!

If you love dogs and really want to make money, I would suggest going the crafty route. People spend tons of money on their dogs - especially when it comes to toys and clothes so if you are good with sewing, etc. There are patterns all over the place and I have so many dog lover friends that are making tons of money selling their cute things on Etsy. I wish I was as creative!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Yeah, you only get the $$$$ for your dogs if you show them as well. (or have them shown by a professional handler) Then you get big money from the stud fees, etc. That is IF they are show winners, and it is hard work to get a dog that is good enough to win best in show and all that. I currently show my dog, it is very difficult to do this yourself, esp. when you are competing against the big money international winners and people that have been doing it for decades.
You would have to look into it as a VERY VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS.
I know, I am in a breed specific club and know what these breeders go through. They all have guarantees that their dogs they sell never go to a pound. If the people you sell to, have lifestyle changes/circumstance change, a good breeder will ALWAYS take their dogs back. Are you prepared to do that? And they test the pups before they sell them, if they come up with a genetic defect, they neuter/spay the dog.
Also, you need to check the zoning for your area. Many places only have a 3 dog max allowed.
Being a backyard breeder is just no good!!! I know a person who runs a breed specific rescue and many are backyard breeder surrenders that are health nightmares because the backyard breeder did not do the required genetic testing before breeding. These poor surrendered dogs then require thousands of dollars for surgeries - which of course, the rescue group pays for!
There are definitely easier ways to make money!!!!!!
Also heartbreak for the owner of the dog it will be one my news tonight.
thanks!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:49 PM

553 posts, read 1,544,770 times
A long time ago, my family knew this couple who were breeding Samoyed's. The woman had to work 2 jobs while he stayed home and took care of the dogs because that was a full time job in itself. Plus he was a certified dog trainer and had his own clientele. They had a great physical set up for the dogs, individual dog runs, their own igloos, good sized property,etc. They had great intentions, a good understanding of what it takes to breed them, and start up money. He really loved his dogs and cared for them like his own children. However, great intentions can't save you from a bad economy. They finally had to make a difficult decision to adopt out all of their dogs in an attempt to save their home. Last I heard they went broke and lost it all. Dog breeding is not a means to support yourself. It's a side venture for already financially established people who love and care to maintain the integrity and excellence of the breed. Find something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business