Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 01:26 PM

7,512 posts, read 11,325,941 times

Advertisements

Is anyone involved in affiliate marketing? I've been curious about it myself and I ran across a good article on avoiding scams for anyone else who may be interested.

Quote:

Avoid any companies that ask you to pay to sign up. That is an almost sure sign of an affiliate marketing scam. You also should not have to pay to receive any material from them about their program.

How to Avoid Affiliate Marketing Scams | eHow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 AM

To those who have been involved in affiliate marketing what was or has your experience been like with it? It's something I'am starting to look into to earn some extra money.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:08 PM

964 posts, read 3,155,020 times
That article is a joke, much like everything on eHow. Some sites do charge you for affiliate marketing training, some don't. It depends on what's offered and what's not. It's just like any other thing, but if you want a good place, google search the warrior forum.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:50 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,519,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Is anyone involved in affiliate marketing? I've been curious about it myself and I ran across a good article on avoiding scams for anyone else who may be interested.
It seems there's some confusion between affiliate marketing and network marketing or mlm.

Affiliate marketing is generally you have someone elses banner, widget etc on your website nad get paid for the people to then go to their site or buy something from their site.

MLM or network marketing is actually what this article is referring to things like amway, world ventures, melaluca, etc.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:58 PM

^

From the article:

Quote:
There are many bona fide programs through which you can earn money by advertising other people's products on your web site.

Isn't that what affiliate marketing is? How is the article about MLM?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
^

From the article:

Isn't that what affiliate marketing is? How is the article about MLM?
First off ehow articles suck and aren't very informative in general.

As for how this sounds more like MLM, pretty much every MLM makes you pay to sign up. I've investigated and am a member of a ton of affiliate programs and have yet to come across one that tries to get me to pay. on the rother hand every MLM generally has an upfront fee and monthly fees and sometimes products, videos or cd's you have to buy.

Monthly quota, again sounds more like MLM, affiliate programs don't have quotas though they may require you have a certain amount of traffic.

Then they talk about downlines, downlines generally hav nothing to do with affliate programs for websites however its entirely what every MLM is about, getting people on your downline.

Be suspicious about buying products, amway is notorius for making its people buy motivational tapes. Also, the people at the top make their money off these tapes they make, not through amway or a downline.

The person who wrote this article seems to be writing about mlm and website affiliate programs nad doens't seem to know the difference.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:59 AM

^

Since you have some experience with actual affiliates have you come across somethings that you think people should be aware of before getting involved with them?

Old 03-18-2011, 11:10 AM

Any opinions on this info?

Affiliate Marketing Scams Exposed

Old 03-18-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
^

Since you have some experience with actual affiliates have you come across somethings that you think people should be aware of before getting involved with them?
I think probably the best affiliate program out there right now is the netflix affiliate program, they pay somewhere between $19-$23 per trial signup and I believe people who sign up don't even have to give a cc number. It's a tough program to get into though.

Buyat and CJ aka Commission Junction are nice. Rather than having a bunch of diff programs you have to track, remember passwords for, etc these sites offer hundreds of different affiliate programs all through their website. Everything from orbitz to beaches hotels to a million other things. I primarily used the travel affiliate programs.

I like those sites b/c you get paid directly from buyat or CJ so all your programs pay out and have tracking stats through one site with one password.

Google also has affiliates and its tied into your adsense account if you do adsense. I like google adsense but their affiliate selection is sorta lacking.

Never pay there's plenty of free affiliates to join.

Some affiliates are better than others. Some are bad in the sense the payouts are low or conversion % is low but assuming you don't pay money to join there's really no downside, only downside is you may be wasting ad space on your site with a low paying or not in demand affiliate but really no downside besides that.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:56 PM

964 posts, read 3,155,020 times

That's why I told you to google the warrior forum as its a great place that actually talks about affiliate marketing and more and it is free to join.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business