Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:11 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I have 30k. I don't want to buy a car or anything like that. What kinds of business come to mind? This 30k will have to cover everything, my current income is only 1k/month, so I won't have any extra income while starting this business apart from my father who could help me here and there. Here are a few details about me,

I'm unemployed with no children so I can dedicate all my time
I have a g/f who could be available full time to help me
Comfortable with computers as well as getting my hands dirty
Comfortable with talking to people but not very out-going
Some of my experience is travel agent, automotive, and developmental disabled
No degree

I want something that can expand in these times with the right managing and isn't very vulnerable to recessions or unpredictable modern changing times. Thanks in advance.
If you are looking to open a store front and selling something, that is out of the question with only $30K. You would have to look at providing some menial service that doesnt require to much municipal red tape, or an actual office.

Can you cook? Maybe you can be a caterer, and make everything in your kitchen. The licenses for that should not be too expensive.

Are you handy? There is a market for handy men. You just need a few tools. Alot of people need things fixed around the house, but dont want to pay the price for a licensed tradesmen.

In fact there is a lot of businesses that dont require any startup capital, but it is not usually what people think of as a "business" and is not very prestigious either.

Can you clean? Start a home or apartment cleaning service. You could probably use the cleaning equipment you clients already have.

You say you dont want a car, but being able to move around is important. Do you already have one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 01:25 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I know a guy with a mobile knife sharpening business who supports himself that way. You could probably do it for $30,000.

Newer used cargo van, lots of grinders, a generator, and a few supplies, plus a small selection of knives to sell.

He has a route and drives around to beauty shops and butcher shops and sharpens knives and scissors right on the spot. He's also got a few locations that collect knives from the general public for him and he goes by once a week and sharpens and they split the take.

You'd have to be able to take the time to build trust. The knives and scissors used by professionals are quite expensive and can be ruined by improper sharpening.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:49 PM

29,820 posts, read 24,885,583 times
With 30k, not any business in my line of work, that's for sure.

Some options would include a hot dog cart, which is probably more lucrative than my line of work

Old 03-01-2013, 04:49 PM

23,870 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Don't know about the startup costs, but I've been kicking around the idea of opening a SMOG shop. Saw an available location and it just screams for it, and the nearest competitor is miles away.

Recession proof, low overhead and not a lot of space needed - the place I usually take my cars is literally a 10x4 shack on the edge of a parking lot.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:49 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,587,448 times
Here are some possibilities. It's going to depend on your area, or
your target area, if that is adjustable.

1. I have a friend who made $3-4k per month just buying and reselling on
Craigslist mostly, some Ebay. He has a trailer for pickups and delivery, and a
garage to store/work in. Everything you can imagine can be bought and resold higher.
It's all about the price. More stuff is free or close to free than you may think.
People and companies throw away things others will pay money for. Manufacturers
and wholesalers, even retailers will throw away valuable objects. Cruise around on
trash days residential. Make low-ball offers on Craigslist. Offer to deliver your sales
to the customer. There is $$$ to be made this way. Fact. Just some elbow grease
and a little mechanical know-how can go a long way, and a sharp acumen.
2. Identify the needs in your area or target area. What is it missing ? I am sure there
are some goods/services which are undersupplied. Identify them. It could be a
consignment shop. It could be lemonade and ice cream vendor. It could be dry cleaning
or landscaping, it could even be personal chauffer or deliveries for the home-bound.
Maybe you could start a moving company. Or a chimney-sweep. Gutter cleaning.
Painting. Carpet cleaning. Pool cleaning. Entertainment agent. (local bands needing
an agent to book them) Paper shredding service. These are low cost startups.
3. Buy land that can be re-divided into smaller lots and re-sold. Buy a dirt-cheap house
that needs fix-up. You may qualify for a loan or grant. Rural Development loans. FSA
Farm loans. Did you know if you are technically a farmer or would become one at
the consummation of the loan, you can qualify for a 35k microloan
from the Farm Bureau ? Did you know you can grow crops and get a grant to make "value-added" products, and there may be a food business incubator site near you ? There are
projects for urban areas also. If any of this interests you, visit your local state agricultural
extension.
4. Double or Triple your possiblities by finding a partner. $60k is more than $30k is less
than $90k. You could form an LLC with trusted friends or family who may be willing to
pool resources together in a legal construct that can do bigger things together. Even if
it only means a partial partner.

Last edited by Snowball7; 03-02-2013 at 03:06 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 04:28 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,496 times
Money lender or rent a unit out up in North Dakota. There's a housing shortage here.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:58 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I know a guy with a mobile knife sharpening business who supports himself that way. You could probably do it for $30,000.

Newer used cargo van, lots of grinders, a generator, and a few supplies, plus a small selection of knives to sell.

He has a route and drives around to beauty shops and butcher shops and sharpens knives and scissors right on the spot. He's also got a few locations that collect knives from the general public for him and he goes by once a week and sharpens and they split the take.

You'd have to be able to take the time to build trust. The knives and scissors used by professionals are quite expensive and can be ruined by improper sharpening.

i like this idea-

Old 03-05-2013, 03:36 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,507,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Food truck i.e. Roach coach.

Maybe like that kind of truck

Old 03-20-2013, 04:15 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Keep the 30K safely invested. You need to just get a job and when something makes you passionate about doing it, you dream about it/have the constant urge to do it then that is the idea/business you should move forward with (or at least look into). Random posting on here hints you really don't have ANY idea what to do.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
Snowball, those are some great ideas..I especially like those farming ideas. I don't think people realize the money available for farming and grants, and 0% down loans. I have no experience in farming and live in a urban city..but it's very interesting. Only industry I can think of with these types of funding incentives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business