Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:33 AM

29 posts, read 50,525 times

Advertisements

Hi jm1982,

My inspiration came from a cafe in montreal "la distributrice"

images are here

it is small, excellent coffee and they have their own unique design.. It is always clean, friendly staff and the price is not too expensive. As you said and many would agree, the location is very important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 11:45 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
How about a tattoo removal business? You could call it..........Regrets......

Services like that, here in Toronto, charge 100 an hour, and most customers need 5 to 10 hours of work.

Machine and training course provided by the maker of the equipment. Cost ? About 25 k . Can be financed with monthly payments of about $300. Un-regulated in my Province.

Could be combined with a spa, or beauty parlour that is all ready up and running, that has a room to rent out. Word of mouth advertising is the best kind . Satisfied customers are a good recommendation, for any type of business operation.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:49 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Get a Life/Health insurance and a series 65 securities license and start a financial services business.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:40 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
How about a tattoo removal business? You could call it..........Regrets......

Services like that, here in Toronto, charge 100 an hour, and most customers need 5 to 10 hours of work.

Machine and training course provided by the maker of the equipment. Cost ? About 25 k . Can be financed with monthly payments of about $300. Un-regulated in my Province.

Could be combined with a spa, or beauty parlour that is all ready up and running, that has a room to rent out. Word of mouth advertising is the best kind . Satisfied customers are a good recommendation, for any type of business operation.

Jim B.

Toronto.
I do imagine tattoo removal would be a good business.

Where I live in L.A, it seems almost everyone has tattoos of a certain age, probably 16-30s and sometimes even older. I don't know if these people will want to keep them forever.

This is an article about the tattoo removal business, from 2010 but pretty interesting
Regret that Tattoo? The Tattoo-Removal Business is Booming | Inc.com

Old 05-14-2014, 09:19 AM

9 posts, read 17,602 times
"I would not spend $30k to start the business.

I would create a small investment fund(Private Placement). That will cost you about $6,000. I would than solicit private investors for capital with the goal of raising $2 million in 6 months. I'd use the $2million for a down payment of a $10-$12 million dollar business in a industry that I could expand in. I would expand by way of buying my competitors as well as synergistic companies. After 5 years of expansion, I would sell the company to a Private Equity firm."

Rocco, you wrote the above, can you elaborate exactly how this would work, I'm guessing you are knowledgeable in the field of private placement investment funds?

Cheers,
WI

Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Become a plumber or electrician and have the GF be the office manager, receptionist, phone service etc. If you have the apptitude for it which you might with an automotive background. These jobs can pay more than most with a college education can make.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:43 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Become a plumber or electrician and have the GF be the office manager, receptionist, phone service etc. If you have the apptitude for it which you might with an automotive background. These jobs can pay more than most with a college education can make.

While I agree with your post there are a few considerations:

1. Licenses/trade experience may take years to acquire
2. Girlfriend working is an opportunity cost. If she makes 30-40K a year and now stays home to answer the phone/office manager you would have to make 30-40K extra just to replace her lost income.
3. You have to be good at the trade! A plumber with leaks or an electrician with sparks is never going to be a ticket to riches!

Old 05-15-2014, 08:03 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIndies View Post
"I would not spend $30k to start the business.

I would create a small investment fund(Private Placement). That will cost you about $6,000. I would than solicit private investors for capital with the goal of raising $2 million in 6 months. I'd use the $2million for a down payment of a $10-$12 million dollar business in a industry that I could expand in. I would expand by way of buying my competitors as well as synergistic companies. After 5 years of expansion, I would sell the company to a Private Equity firm."

Rocco, you wrote the above, can you elaborate exactly how this would work, I'm guessing you are knowledgeable in the field of private placement investment funds? Yes

Cheers,
WI
What do you mean by "how this would work"? This isn't some trick or loophole tactic. It's one aspect of Investment Banking. If you have to ask your above question, this is probably not for you.

I have a VERY strong background in Investment Banking.

That's just a very small version of what Private Equity firms do.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:25 AM

9 posts, read 17,602 times
Why do you assume I thought this was a trick, or loophole tactic? I asked the question because unlike you I have no knowledge of investment banking so I was hoping you would be more open to sharing your knowledge versus choosing to be judgmental about what I wrote.

Cheers,
WI

Old 05-20-2014, 02:27 PM

820 posts, read 1,208,832 times
A service company, either cleaning or pet based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business